Are we really in a rebuild?

Portyansky

With the eagles not getting a single sunday night game yup we"re in rebuild.

1 hour ago, nipples said:

IF Hurts is say a top 12 QB (I’m not convinced he is, just playing hypotheticals) then I could see it. Provided the OLine doesn’t getting completely destroyed with injuries again, they have some weapons with Smith, Goedert, Sanders. Have to believe Reagor will at least be a little better. 

On paper would mean it seems likely. Does that scenario seem likely to you?

7 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Assuming no injuries take place, I feel our O on paper has the potential to be at least top 10 or better. D needs a few pieces to look good on paper. I don't think we're so much of a rebuild but more of a reshuffle lol. In all honesty, the coaching staff has me the most concerned. 

There are too many question marks to assume anything. New coaching and schemes on all three phases of the ball, QB are just a few that can impact that question. 

By mid season you will have your answer on if we are in a rebuild or not. Until then anything is possible. 

1 hour ago, greend said:

On paper would mean it seems likely. Does that scenario seem likely to you?

To me, no. But some are more sure of Hurts than I am. 

2 minutes ago, nipples said:

To me, no. But some are more sure of Hurts than I am. 

It's still not " on paper" .

Every team looks good at this time of the year as they have ALL filled in their gaps with promising rookies and FAs.

Sirianni's got to learn the newbie lessons. He's got to get out managed, make clock mistakes and leave points out there. His system is going to get picked apart and he'll have to adapt.

It comes down to scoring. Less than 20 points per game is abysmal. 26 points per game is borderline playoffs. 30 points per game is usually tops of the conference. We'll know quickly if his offense is working.

27 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Agreed.

Even if the team is doing ok it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Howie move a key vet at the in-season trade deadline.  I sensed that he felt he should have done that before

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

That 49ers defense that year is night and day compared to the Eagle's. They didn't fire Doug and trade Wentz because they were a few injuries away. They need DL help, LB, S, and at least one other CB. Offensively they have a rookie coach, QB who didn't show crap last year to think he's a legit starter in the league, OL questions, and while Smith looks promising they have crap behind him until they prove otherwise. 

The point is that, in today's NFL, you can turn things around in a hurry......

• Like 1

Yes we are in a rebuild, the roster needs a massive infusion of young talent, to refresh the play on the field, the squad dynamics and help the team start to deal properly with salary cap.

The only reason it doesn't look like a proper tear down and rebuild is because our most attractive players for trade Cox and Johnson are on untradeable contracts from a team point of view.

Can we win the NFC East?  It's possible given the state of the division last year but I wouldn't bet a brass button on it.

My hope for this year is that Hurts either shows enough that Howie doesn't feel the need blow all our draft capital next year on moving up to draft Howell, Rattler or Clovis, or is so god awful we don't have to move up to draft Howell, Rattler or Clovis (or whatever flavor of the month QB rockets up draft boards in March next year).

Worst case scenario is that Hurts has a solid but unspectacular year leaving us with three picks like 14, 22 and 28 and Howie throws 2 or all of them at a team to move into the top 3.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Yes we are in a rebuild, the roster needs a massive infusion of young talent, to refresh the play on the field, the squad dynamics and help the team start to deal properly with salary cap.

The only reason it doesn't look like a proper tear down and rebuild is because our most attractive players for trade Cox and Johnson are on untradeable contracts from a team point of view.

Can we win the NFC East?  It's possible given the state of the division last year but I wouldn't bet a brass button on it.

My hope for this year is that Hurts either shows enough that Howie doesn't feel the need blow all our draft capital next year on moving up to draft Howell, Rattler or Clovis, or is so god awful we don't have to move up to draft Howell, Rattler or Clovis (or whatever flavor of the month QB rockets up draft boards in March next year).

Worst case scenario is that Hurts has a solid but unspectacular year leaving us with three picks like 14, 22 and 28 and Howie throws 2 or all of them at a team to move into the top 3.

Let's hope it's the first scenario. There are a lot of positives. Offensive line is coming back healthy. New and different , more aggressive defense. Not a bad Schedule. Smith is a polished WR.

If Siri balances the offense, and we have a running game, we could surprisingly ..overachieve. My focus is on Hurts. If he can find the rhythm that I think that he has, and stops running at the first sign of pressure, we will know if we have a QB ..or Not. I Like Hurts. Last year he was a RB who could also throw. I hope he can transition to a QB first, who can also run if he has too.

• Like 1

So for all of you that claim we are in rebuild,  why hold on to Cox and other players that carry big $ and we could potentially trade for high picks. Why not blow it all up and find young talent? I think Howie makes many moves to help this D fill needs before the season starts. I don't think we have to be as bad as some think. 

So for all of you that claim we are in rebuild,  why hold on to Cox and other players that carry big $ and we could potentially trade for high picks. Why not blow it all up and find young talent? I think Howie makes many moves to help this D fill needs before the season starts. I don't think we have to be as bad as some think. 

• Like 1

Yeah, it's a rebuild to me. New coaches everywhere, an unproven QB, questions about Reag and others at WR still linger, a very thin rookie WR on the other side, and on and on. It's a rebuild. In a perfect world, they coach and play above and beyond what is actually expected this year. 

1 hour ago, Portyansky said:

The reason Cox and Johnson haven't been traded is because of the cap implications, Cox would save us $1.8million with a dead cap penalty of $21million dollars, Johnson is simply untradeable, as it stands if we traded or cut Johnson we'd immediately put ourselves a minimum $18 million over the cap even with all the Jeffery and Jackson cap relief.

Johnson's contract is criminal, it's an absolute obscenity which dummy years him up to age 39 and makes him absolutely immovable until 2023 and even then he'll still carry a $14 million dead cap hit, he's the wrong side of 30 and he's missed 13 games over the last 2 seasons.

Now if we somehow get Watson then we look a lot better "on paper"

11 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The reason Cox and Johnson haven't been traded is because of the cap implications, Cox would save us $1.8million with a dead cap penalty of $21million dollars, Johnson is simply untradeable, as it stands if we traded or cut Johnson we'd immediately put ourselves a minimum $18 million over the cap even with all the Jeffery and Jackson cap relief.

Johnson's contract is criminal, it's an absolute obscenity which dummy years him up to age 39 and makes him absolutely immovable until 2023 and even then he'll still carry a $14 million dead cap hit, he's the wrong side of 30 and he's missed 13 games over the last 2 seasons.

You are right that these overblown contracts were not smart. On the other hand..we will have a lot of rookies and a QB on a rookie contract. So we are still alive money wise. 🙂

On 5/13/2021 at 10:19 AM, Portyansky said:

Assuming no injuries take place, I feel our O on paper has the potential to be at least top 10 or better. D needs a few pieces to look good on paper. I don't think we're so much of a rebuild but more of a reshuffle lol. In all honesty, the coaching staff has me the most concerned. 

Why? Cause you don't like the way they speak at press conferences? That's an original concern. 

34 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Why? Cause you don't like the way they speak at press conferences? That's an original concern. 

Ummm yes. He seems like he's in over his head. Also completely new coach staff should be concerning especially with vets. Learning curve for all. 

7 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Ummm yes. He seems like he's in over his head. Also completely new coach staff should be concerning especially with vets. Learning curve for all. 

I'll worry about it when he actually coaches at least a practice 

I'm not convinced that we have our QB yet. I know that Carson was pretty rancid last season, but I would have been more comfortable with him starting this year than Hurts. I just haven't seen enough of Hurts yet to have full (or even half) faith in him. 

As for our coaching staff, I know more about Hurts than I do the coaching staff, so for me they're still a complete unknown.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I'm not convinced that we have our QB yet. I know that Carson was pretty rancid last season, but I would have been more comfortable with him starting this year than Hurts. I just haven't seen enough of Hurts yet to have full (or even half) faith in him. 

As for our coaching staff, I know more about Hurts than I do the coaching staff, so for me they're still a complete unknown.

Carson was never really the same player since injury. 

2 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Carson was never really the same player since injury. 

Which one?