Are we really in a rebuild?

Portyansky

They just won 4 games and have a new QB who has never been a passer before and a new HC.  If that's not a rebuild, what is?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

They just won 4 games and have a new QB who has never been a passer before and a new HC.  If that's not a rebuild, what is?

Exactly. We can point to the injuries and say that this roster is better than last years ish show but why do we think these injuries are going to suddenly stop?

• Like 1

Traded away Wentz with a 2 year salary cap hit. Fired the HC. Draft picks in the future. That’s a rebuild.

injuries...got us bad last year. Maybe fewer this year, we hope. Gotta get younger and deeper to sustain injuries.

11 hours ago, CouchKing said:

Gotta get younger and deeper to sustain injuries.

Younger than Sanders, Reagor, Watkins, JJAW, Goedert, LeBlanc, Gerry, TJ Edwards, Maddox, Mailata, Driscoll, Seumalo, Hargrave, Barnett, Ridgeway, Riley, Bradley, Ford, James? Everybody I listed was hurt at some point last year. As much as some of you want to point to "age" as the cause, it just isn't the case. Heck, our first two draft picks are coming off injuries suffered last season. If you examine the 2019, 2018, and even the 2017 Eagles Injuries, you'll find the same thing. Yes, our injury lists included familiar names of old players like Peters, Sproles, DJax, but also was littered with younger players (Wentz, Sudfeld, Ajayi, Howard, Clement, Jernigan, Darby, Jones, Hicks, Agholor, Kendricks, Hollins, etc... )

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 10:27 PM, eagle45 said:

I am guessing his final year in Oklahoma does not count.

You can rebuild in two seasons in the NFL. They have a sheet ton of picks going into next years draft, they hit the draft pretty hard this year as well with 9 picks so that looks like a rebuild.

The next step is clearing up the cap issues. You can't dump all the vets in one hit because you still need leaders in the locker room to help establish a culture. I think guys like Cox and Graham will stay for the team for this reason. Kelce is probably here for one more season, same goes for Lane. Ertz is probably gone since they already have a capable TE in Goedert and he has pretty decent trade value. 

On 5/13/2021 at 3:08 PM, birdman#12 said:

San Fran was 4-12 the year before they went to the super bowl.......due to injuries and young roster......

injuries can devastate a roster and a team's chances.  

IF the eagles stay healthy this year AND Hurts shows he can be productive and careful with the football, they could have a better year than most expect.

How about the few years before that

E12659A1-4BC9-44CB-AA97-CE28600CEA9E.jpeg

On 5/14/2021 at 12:42 PM, Portyansky said:

So for all of you that claim we are in rebuild,  why hold on to Cox and other players that carry big $ and we could potentially trade for high picks. Why not blow it all up and find young talent? I think Howie makes many moves to help this D fill needs before the season starts. I don't think we have to be as bad as some think. 

So for all of you that claim we are in rebuild,  why hold on to Cox and other players that carry big $ and we could potentially trade for high picks. Why not blow it all up and find young talent? I think Howie makes many moves to help this D fill needs before the season starts. I don't think we have to be as bad as some think. 

I agree with this. None of the moves suggest rebuild. They have replaced Wentz with Hurts, but that's due to a breakdown and going in a different direction.

Okay Cox is a big cap hit if he's traded, but he is if he stays as well. If you are completely rebuilding, you trade him to get future resources. The Eagles haven't traded Slay, Graham etc either.

Eagles aren't saying it, but they are probably thinking there is still a window with the ageing players on D and Hurts on his rookie contract if Hurts and the new coaching staff can turn it on and the team can stay healthier.

If they can't then I expect some trades either mid-season or early next. 

For NFL standards, yes it's a rebuild.  It's always a process to turn over the roster over several seasons.  They have been moving on from older veterans, acquiring draft picks and trying to get younger.  New QB, new coaching staff, collecting picks for the next 2 seasons.  In the NFL teams can be competitive in a season or 2.  When they won the SB they were in year 2 with a new QB and coaching staff.  You always have a mix of veterans from previous regime, new players, free agents brought in, etc.

IF this team goes on to win a Super Bowl under Siri, it will be a very different team than what was fielded last year.  There may be a few pieces leftover, some role players, etc.  But the key players will be new and that's basically a rebuild.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd say we're in a "rebuild." We're in the process of turning over the roster and going from one of the oldest teams in the league to one of the younger teams. We have a first-year head coach and a second-year starting QB. 

Now just because we're in a rebuild doesn't mean we're tanking. We're in an absolutely horrible division and have the softest schedule in the league based on opponents' wining percentage from last year, so the chance at having some success is there. As others have mentioned, we're getting our entire offensive line back, so what was an Achilles heel for the team last year could become a strength. We should see an improvement in some of the young receivers, get a healthy Miles Sanders back, and added a dynamic weapon in Devonta Smith. Defensively, it shouldn't be pretty, but a fairly stout defensive line should mask some deficiencies in the secondary. All-in-all, I wouldn't be surprised to see us hover around .500, and that should keep us in the playoff hunt in a weak NFC East.

Either it’s a rebuild...

or, the start of the Jalen Hurts dynasty.