I believe we will have the best O-line in the NFL this year

JP HOF

15 hours ago, EaglesfanfromND said:

Don't think they are going to be even close to the best oline in NFL. I'm just hoping for serviceable and much better then last season. Health has been a huge issue. 

Lane, Brooks and Dillard are all fully recovered from the injuries that kept them out last year. Mailata, Herbig and Driscoll all gained valuable experience last year. Kelce is back (without the elbow injury). Seumalo returned last year and played better than fans give him credit for. Le"Raven Clark adds more depth. Dickerson is a guy we'll want to get on the field soon. 

I don't understand why people are always afraid that "bad luck" is the only thing that can be expected. We had an enormous amount of bad luck on the line last year. On top of the injuries, the veterans we brought in to patch things up (Peters, Brown) were awful. We played a lot of inexperienced guys at different positions. Players like Mailata and Herbig developed nicely each week they played. Pryor, on the other hand, was a complete liability. Pryor filled in for Brooks in 2019 and played well. What was the difference? In 2019, Pryor was playing next to a group of seasoned vets that had some cohesion. Last year we had something different each week. There was no cohesion at all. There is no way we go through 2020 again. Even if we did have that much bad luck, the depth is much more prepared. 

The O-line is the strength of this team by far. It will prove to be one of the best in the NFL in 2021. 

• Like 3

I'm pretty bullish on O-Line.  Even if you write off 1st rd pick Dillard it's hard not to really like the top 7 guys on the depth chart.  Sure, Brooks or Lane will get hurt again, but the depth is much better now with Dickerson inside and Driscoll as the 6th man.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2021 at 7:54 AM, brkmsn said:

FYI, not only is Mailata the "larger" guy, he's also the "quicker" guy. 

As far as using him in other ways, there's only so much you can do in the NFL. Last season was only his 3rd year ever in American football. Most guys growing up have experience playing both offense and defense in High School. Some of them get moved from one to the other during their college careers. Mailata has absolutely zero experience with other positions. It takes more than just size and athletic ability to be effective in the NFL. You could take him away from a little bit of his practice time at O-line and teach him a couple gimmick plays, but you can't just start teaching him to be a TE, a FB, and a DT unless you want a guy that won't really be good at anything. 

You'd think he could play RB, coming from Rugby and all... But it's just not worth it. When it comes to Mailata positional value really means something, a LT like that is rare.

On 6/18/2021 at 6:04 AM, brkmsn said:

Lane, Brooks and Dillard are all fully recovered from the injuries that kept them out last year. Mailata, Herbig and Driscoll all gained valuable experience last year. Kelce is back (without the elbow injury). Seumalo returned last year and played better than fans give him credit for. Le"Raven Clark adds more depth. Dickerson is a guy we'll want to get on the field soon. 

I don't understand why people are always afraid that "bad luck" is the only thing that can be expected. We had an enormous amount of bad luck on the line last year. On top of the injuries, the veterans we brought in to patch things up (Peters, Brown) were awful. We played a lot of inexperienced guys at different positions. Players like Mailata and Herbig developed nicely each week they played. Pryor, on the other hand, was a complete liability. Pryor filled in for Brooks in 2019 and played well. What was the difference? In 2019, Pryor was playing next to a group of seasoned vets that had some cohesion. Last year we had something different each week. There was no cohesion at all. There is no way we go through 2020 again. Even if we did have that much bad luck, the depth is much more prepared. 

The O-line is the strength of this team by far. It will prove to be one of the best in the NFL in 2021. 

On 6/18/2021 at 8:41 PM, dawkins4prez said:

I'm pretty bullish on O-Line.  Even if you write off 1st rd pick Dillard it's hard not to really like the top 7 guys on the depth chart.  Sure, Brooks or Lane will get hurt again, but the depth is much better now with Dickerson inside and Driscoll as the 6th man.

Agreed and actually the line wasn't as awful as sometimes they looked last year. They really weren't helped with Wentz holding on to the ball for so long.

There are a lot of question marks (Can Johnson/Brooks/Kelce deal with age/injuries to get back to close to their all pro ceiling, how will Mailata and Dillard develop, how much can Dickerson contribute etc), but I feel confident that the line will be at least top 10 in the league and possibly top 5. So deep this year and definitely the strength of this team.

• 3 weeks later...

To me, when the team decided to keep Brooks, that sent a message that they are not in tank mode.

4 hours ago, Procus said:

To me, when the team decided to keep Brooks, that sent a message that they are not in tank mode.

I could be wrong but I don't think they could have got rid of him even before the extension

5 hours ago, Procus said:

10 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I could be wrong but I don't think they could have got rid of him even before the extension

You are correct

On 5/31/2021 at 8:27 PM, brkmsn said:

FYI, Brooks was injured in the 2018 playoff game (vs the saints). He returned in time to start and play all of 2019. He did not miss any games in 2019.

Yes he did. He dislocated his shoulder against the Giants and missed the playoff game against Seattle.

This oline has already taken a step forward to being better now that Peters old arse is off the team

• Haha 1

Don't know about best, but Landon Dickerson is going to be a monster whenever he's healthy enough to play.

4 hours ago, Sack that QB said:

Don't know about best, but Landon Dickerson is going to be a monster whenever he's healthy enough to play.

I think he is still unsigned. Not sure what the hold up is with that.  

1 hour ago, CaliEagle said:

I think he is still unsigned. Not sure what the hold up is with that.  

Seems odd.  2nd round pick rookie scale is set.  Nothing to negotiate.

12 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Seems odd.  2nd round pick rookie scale is set.  Nothing to negotiate.

Probably a bunch of medical jargon in his contract. 

On 5/27/2021 at 3:37 AM, JP HOF said:

with Dickerson and Dillard as backups, damn.

E2-We-Er-VXIAIMLx8.jpg

PS Last time I was here, I started a nice thread, and the same thing happened that happens every time I post here.  Downundermike trolled my thread, I got into it with him, and then I got suspended for a long time.  That's surely what's in store for this thread too because that's what happens in the messed up land of Eagles message boards.

And I believe in the tooth fairy. But that doesn't make it so.

On 5/27/2021 at 12:37 AM, JP HOF said:

I believe we will have the best O-line in the NFL this year

Good job, you jinxed the O Line.

I feel like someone posted this same thread last season. Brooks already hurt. 🤷‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️

7 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I feel like someone posted this same thread last season. Brooks already hurt. 🤷‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️

Most likely the OP. 

On 7/23/2021 at 12:49 AM, Sack that QB said:

I think with Mailata and Dickerson we have two good pieces for the future. Herbig and Driscoll looked pretty good, at least as future backups.

The line is our biggest strength, and I’m glad we focus on it. That said I really want a guard in the first or second round next draft.

The O Line depth has improved. Hoping they are not decimated by injuries again. 

On 7/22/2021 at 6:49 PM, Sack that QB said:

Agreed, and he may get a lot of playing time at RT Guard if Brooks can't stay on the field. 

On 6/18/2021 at 1:04 AM, brkmsn said:

Pryor filled in for Brooks in 2019 and played well. What was the difference? In 2019, Pryor was playing next to a group of seasoned vets that had some cohesion. Last year we had something different each week. There was no cohesion at all. There is no way we go through 2020 again. Even if we did have that much bad luck, the depth is much more prepared. 

I'm sure cohesion had a lot to do with it but I think another factor was the empty stadiums and all the uncertainty that went along with the COVID scare.

The starters are good and playing well.  More encouraging is the depth behind them.  There are quality back-ups on all the OL positions.  They could step up when there is injury, and/or pushing for playing time this or next seasons.

On 7/25/2021 at 9:22 AM, Big___Al said:

And I believe in the tooth fairy. But that doesn't make it so.

As in Brett Toth?