Way too early 53 man roster projection

jsb235

On 4/27/2020 at 5:53 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

My early headline predictions...

Greg Ward doesn't make the roster. Goodwin doesn't make the roster. The Mailata project is over and he doesn't make the roster.

And Jeffrey may well end up being cut or traded.

Ward is a lock to make this team, Jeffery has zero trade value, and he will not be released or traded without proving he’s healthy enough, and right now I don’t think they can afford to let the rugby player go. This is his make or break camp I think. 

With Dillar down, the ruby guy's value moves up some, though he has not instilled much confidence thus far. 

It is hard to say Ward.  He did well last season which should have earned him some slacks.  But the young bucks have been impressive in camp and they can't keep everyone.

Here's my best guess five days before we get the final answer.

QB remains the same, Wentz, Hurts and Sudfeld. I will say that the lack of preseason games has probably helped Hurts, as the media and the fans would have been all over him due to his accuracy problems. I think Sudfeld has done really well, and is a solid backup who will definitely compete for a starting job somewhere next year.

RB is a little mysterious. The team can still add someone, and the lack of a preseason has made evaluating the position tough. Killins seems ahead of Warren, but the guess is that they go with Sanders, Scott and Clement, and then put Holyfield, Killins and someone else on the PS, whether it is Warren or another guy who shakes loose.

TE seems set with Ertz, Goedert and Togiai. Wilson and Swoopes go to the PS.

At WR my guess is that they keep DJax, Reagor, Ward, JJAW, Hightower and Burnett, with Watkins going to IR and Jeffery remaining on PUP. From what I have read Watkins is behind Burnett and Hightower, so he's not seeing the field this year anyway. And being out the last week or so makes it easy to put him on IR. Bailey and Fulgham go to the PS. Bailey showed his speed in the scrimmage and I think he pushes for a roster spot next year. Fulgham also fits as we like having big receivers, i.e. Jeffery, Perkins and JJAW.

At Oline, Peters, Seumalo, Kelce, Pryor, Johnson, Mailata, Herbig and Driscoll are the eight locks, with Juriga, Opeta and Tega fighting for one or two spots. This has obviously been the biggest headache for the team with the injuries and other drama, but my guess is that the opening day line will be Peters, Seumalo, Kelce, Pryor and Lane with Mailata, Herbig and Driscoll as the three active backups. My guess is that Opeta and Tega make the roster and Juriga goes to the PS, unless they IR Tega.

I think defensive tackle, linebacker and safety are set with Hargrave, Cox, Jackson, Ridgeway, Gerry (whom I hate, but the team loves him, so what are you going to do), Edwards, Riley (lack of tackling during the preseason has really helped his stock, not sure he will get so many glowing reviews once he has to tackle people), Taylor, Bradley (see Riley), McLeod, Mills, Parks and Wallace as all locks. Singleton is my favorite to get put on the PS and elevated to the roster each week. I like Elijah Riley, who has been working in the slot and at safety, but he should safely get to the PS as well. Grayland Arnold has an outside shot, but I would be shocked if they burned a roster space on him.

That leaves 12 spots for corner and defensive end, and I think they keep six of each.

At corner, Slay, Robey-Coleman, LeBlanc and Maddox are locks. That leaves James, Douglas and Jones fighting for two spots. Everyone is convinced Jones is getting cut, and I wouldn't be surprised. But James seems like another PS guy who can be activated for games to play special teams. Douglas was getting first team reps, so I think he is a lock, and I also think he can be used to play against bigger receivers. As far as Jones, they save some money by cutting him, but my guess is that they just keep him on the roster.

That leaves defensive end. Barnett, Curry, Graham and Sweat are locks, and likely the only four guys who will play barring injury. I think the last two are Ostman and Toohill. Toohill is a clone of Conor Barwin, so I think he makes it over Miller. I don't think any of them will play very much, so the team is basically having to look into the future to see who will be the best option down the road, which means Miller might make it. But I also like what I am hearing about Ostman and Toohill, so I think they will get the nod. The only issue might be that neither Ostman nor Toohill may be great against the run, so Miller may have some upside as the more complete DE. This is probably the toughest decision for the coaches, but I think if they were all fourth-round picks, the decision would be a lot easier.      

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

The opener is least than 2 weeks away.  When is the roster cut-down day? 

Sep 5

On 8/31/2020 at 9:01 PM, jsb235 said:

But James seems like another PS guy who can be activated for games to play special teams.       

There's a 2 game limit on being able to promote a PS player to the active roster and then return him to the PS without the player going through waivers. After that if they want the PS player to be active, he has to be promoted to the 53 man roster.

1 hour ago, erformc said:

There's a 2 game limit on being able to promote a PS player to the active roster and then return him to the PS without the player going through waivers. After that if they want the PS player to be active, he has to be promoted to the 53 man roster.

Yup, this is correct. I was hoping we could sneak some younger guys with no special teams value onto the roster by using this loophole, but it looks like that won't happen.

9-1

QB
1 Wentz
2 Sudfeld
3 Hurts

RB
4 Sanders
5 Scott
6 Clement

WR 
7 Jeffery
8 Jackson
9 Reagor
10 JJAW
11 Ward
12 Hightower

TE
13 Togei
14 Ertz
15 Goedert            

OL
16 Peters
17 Seumalo
18 Kelce
19 Pryor
20 Johnson
21 Mailata
22 Herbig
23 Driscoll

DE
24 Graham
25 Barnett
26 Sweat
27 Curry
28 Ostman
29 Miller

DT
30 Cox
31 Hargrave
32 Jackson
33 Ridgeway

LB
34 Gerry
35 Edwards
36 Riley
37 Taylor
38 Singleton

CB
39 Slay
40 Maddox 
41 Robey-Coleman
42 Leblanc
43 Douglas
44 James

S
45 Mcleod
46 Mills
47 Parks
48 Wallace
49 Epps
50 Ford

ST
51 Elliot
52 Lovato
53 Johnston

1 hour ago, birdgang said:

RB
4 Sanders
5 Scott
6 Clement

WR 
7 Jeffery

I think you're probably right with these but... Wow what a mistake in my opinion if that does happen. 

21 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think you're probably right with these but... Wow what a mistake in my opinion if that does happen. 

just 53 man roster by saturday 4 pm......roster will change by end of the week. I would imagine after 4pm saturday some guys will be moved to IR (which would make them eligible to return after 3 weeks this year). This will allow guys on PS to dress on game day who can contribute. Maybe even add players who were cut by other teams. Certain players have to be protected and can't be exposed to waivers right?

1 hour ago, birdgang said:

just 53 man roster by saturday 4 pm......roster will change by end of the week. I would imagine after 4pm saturday some guys will be moved to IR (which would make them eligible to return after 3 weeks this year). This will allow guys on PS to dress on game day who can contribute. Maybe even add players who were cut by other teams. Certain players have to be protected and can't be exposed to waivers right?

I would think this will happen with Burnett, as the team is pretty light on healthy receivers with both Reagor and Jeffery out for the start of the season. I can't see them going into week one with Ward, JJAW and Desean as the only guys with game experience. It also depends on how serious the injuries are to Hargrave, Ridgeway, Curry and Barnett, as without those four we are pretty light on the dline. I would guess that with the new IR rules, we can throw a bunch of guys on the list to create room for healthy bodies to get us through the first few weeks of the season.

• Like 1

Now that the Skins released AP, if I were the Eagles I would see if he would come in on the cheap and be the 3rd string RB. As old as he is, I think he is more likely to stay healthy than Clement.  I would try to keep 4 RBs regardless.  I like Clement, but I don't think he can stay healthy now. I'm fine with them keeping him, but not with just 3 RBs on the roster. 

9 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Now that the Skins released AP, if I were the Eagles I would see if he would come in on the cheap and be the 3rd string RB. As old as he is, I think he is more likely to stay healthy than Clement.  I would try to keep 4 RBs regardless.  I like Clement, but I don't think he can stay healthy now. I'm fine with them keeping him, but not with just 3 RBs on the roster. 

do you think he is ready to settle for a role like that?

1 minute ago, birdgang said:

do you think he is ready to settle for a role like that?

I think he is going to have to. What team is going to sign him to be a feature back now at his age?  He's going to have to be a backup.  And, with Miles nursing a hammie and Scott being more of a change of pace back, he might find himself getting quite a bit of work.