Jump to content

The 1st Amendment and Denying Communion


VanHammersly
 Share

Recommended Posts

https://www.foxnews.com/us/bishops-communion-ban-biden-politicians

US bishops to discuss Communion ban for Biden, left-wing politicians with 'antithetical' views

So, the Catholic Church has refused politicians from receiving communion plenty of times over the years.  They famously refused John Kerry in '04 and Biden has been denied in some churches (though he isn't denied it in DC, where he attends as President).  

But lately, Republicans have decided to rewrite the meaning of the 1st Amendment to include private entities (Facebook, Twitter, etc.), holding them accountable for "1st Amendment violations" in the same standard as the government, even going so far as Ron DeSantis signing a law that fines social media companies if they deactivate the account of a politician that violates their terms of service.  If that's the case, given the tax-exempt status of the Catholic Church, should they be held to similar standards to allow the free exercise of religion?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, paco said:

Is Biden Catholic?

Yes.  2nd Catholic President.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, VanHammersly said:

Yes.  2nd Catholic President.

:lol: How about that.  Somehow I missed\forgot that.  (Blame it on tired new dad brain)  Thank you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, paco said:

:lol: How about that.  Somehow I missed\forgot that.  (Blame it on tired new dad brain)  Thank you.

It only gets worse, so you've got that going for you.;)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

It only gets worse, so you've got that going for you.;)

My Fitbit logged 2 hours and 38 minutes of sleep last night :lol: 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, paco said:

:lol: How about that.  Somehow I missed\forgot that.  (Blame it on tired new dad brain)  Thank you.

Didn't realize you were a new dad, Paco.  Congrats man!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

/thread...seriously, this one is embarrassingly dumb, even for you

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

/thread...seriously, this one is embarrassingly dumb, even for you

If this is a violation of the 1st:

Quote

But lately, Republicans have decided to rewrite the meaning of the 1st Amendment to include private entities (Facebook, Twitter, etc.), holding them accountable for "1st Amendment violations" in the same standard as the government, even going so far as Ron DeSantis signing a law that fines social media companies if they deactivate the account of a politician that violates their terms of service.  

Then how is refusing communion not?  They're both private entities restricting rights guaranteed in the 1st based on the beliefs of a politician.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, VanHammersly said:

If this is a violation of the 1st:

Then how is refusing communion not?  They're both private entities restricting rights guaranteed in the 1st based on the beliefs of a politicians.

How are the Republicans violating the 1st amendment?  Specifics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Remember when Jesus turned people away because of their political affiliation?  Good times.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, The_Omega said:

How are the Republicans violating the 1st amendment?  Specifics.

Who said Republicans were violating the 1st Amendment?  DeSantis signed a law that fines a private company for banning politicians from Facebook.  Meanwhile, the Catholic Church is denying communion to politicians.  Free Speech and the Free Exercise of Religion are both protected rights in the 1st, but that's only applied to the government in the past.  But now that Republicans have decided that applies to private entities, should it apply to Religious institutions?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Catholic Church has a two-thousand-year history of playing politics.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, paco said:

My Fitbit logged 2 hours and 38 minutes of sleep last night :lol: 

almost 3 hrs of sleep? that's not bad for a newborn :P

congrats to you and @binkybink77 .. we had our last when I was 40, was a MUCH different experience than our first when I was 29. much more exhausting....

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, VanHammersly said:

Who said Republicans were violating the 1st Amendment?  DeSantis signed a law that fines a private company for banning politicians from Facebook.  Meanwhile, the Catholic Church is denying communion to politicians.  Free Speech and the Free Exercise of Religion are both protected rights in the 1st, but that's only applied to the government in the past.  But now that Republicans have decided that applies to private entities, should it apply to Religious institutions?

I think you need to break it down even more for him. He is kinda dim.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Conservatives use the first amendment when it’s convenient @VanHammersly

case in point, they think white supremacists should be free to speak their minds, but after a few journalists wrote some essays for the New York Times, conservatives decided they needed to ban critical race theory from being taught in schools.

i guess when you’re talking about overturning elections though, violations of the first amendment don’t even seem like that big of deal.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, paco said:

:lol: How about that.  Somehow I missed\forgot that.  (Blame it on tired new dad brain)  Thank you.

Congrats! Very happy for you both.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

Conservatives use the first amendment when it’s convenient @VanHammersly

case in point, they think white supremacists should be free to speak their minds, but after a few journalists wrote some essays for the New York Times, conservatives decided they needed to ban critical race theory from being taught in schools.

i guess when your talking about overturning elections though, the first amendment doesn’t even seem like that big of deal.

 

Right.  What's funny is that Republicans have held a relatively solid line on where they stand on the rights of private entities to operate how they please (I mean, we're only 10 years removed from Mitt Romney famously saying "corporations are people too, my friend"), right up until the last few years, when they did a complete 180.  And of course it's because a cultural shift took place and suddenly social liberalism, and not social conservatism, took over the mainstream.  And Trump accelerated this change because he positioned himself as the champion of social conservatism while simultaneously positioning himself as a morally repugnant antagonist.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Ted Lieu, the Maisie Hirono of "male" Democrats.  He is a fine representative of today's Democrat party.  That said, yeah, denying communion to politicians who openly oppose church doctrine on one side, while still allowing it for politicians who openly oppose church doctrine on the other side, is a tad hypocritical.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2021 at 10:30 AM, NOTW said:

Remember when Jesus turned people away because of their political affiliation?  Good times.

 

didn't he turn judas away ? trying to remember my scripture. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

didn't he turn judas away ? trying to remember my scripture. 

No, on the night before he died he sat at dinner with him, served him and washed his feet.  When he said to the table that one of you will betray me, Judas left.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

No, on the night before he died he sat at dinner with him, served him and washed his feet.  When he said to the table that one of you will betray me, Judas left.

I thought he kissed him on New Years Eve in Cuba and said "I know it was you—-Fredo. You broke my heart.”   
 

I stay away from these topics mostly since the Catholic Church is so old and won’t budge -yet they had Vatican II —my humble opinion is the world is filled with hypocrites.  The Church has murdered people when they deem a prisoner a danger in prison a mortal sinner who has already been convicted of murder. I don’t get it.  I’ve gone to communion in a state of sin According to them, they just didn’t know.  I’m not a public figure. Guess we shall find out on judgement day.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...