Amazon’s The Expanse

opengeo

On 1/19/2021 at 10:07 AM, BirdsFanBill said:

I'm all caught up on this season, this show is back to its former glory. I will say I am surprised, I had all but given up after last season.

Same. Another great show this week. 

1 hour ago, Toty said:

So was she taking a dump or just peeing?

Peeing, there was that blanket there she could have wiped with if dumping, but didnt go for it.

This was the first episode that was only good and not great. Just seemed like a lot of filler and build up, movement of characters for the next episode. 

On 1/21/2021 at 11:04 AM, BirdsFanBill said:

Peeing, there was that blanket there she could have wiped with if dumping, but didnt go for it.

This was the first episode that was only good and not great. Just seemed like a lot of filler and build up, movement of characters for the next episode. 

I loved it. tbh, haven't felt like any episode this season has been filler. It's that good.

Watched S1E1 last night - heard a lot of good things about this show (like comparing it to GoT in space, etc.)  I am trying to keep my expectations in check, but 1 episode in and I am hoping it just needs some time and a few episodes to breath and characters to flesh out a bit.  It seems a little all over the place at the moment, which isn't helping, but at least I know there are multiple seasons to come.

On 1/25/2021 at 4:17 PM, Gern Blanston said:

Watched S1E1 last night - heard a lot of good things about this show (like comparing it to GoT in space, etc.)  I am trying to keep my expectations in check, but 1 episode in and I am hoping it just needs some time and a few episodes to breath and characters to flesh out a bit.  It seems a little all over the place at the moment, which isn't helping, but at least I know there are multiple seasons to come.

Season 1 is confusing ngl. But, still high production quality. Stick with it. This season is the best imo and it isn't even close.

Banged out another 2 episodes.  I'm intrigued enough to keep going.  Maybe its my hearing, but the whole detective guy angle on Ceres(?) is a little hard to follow.  Not sure if its the accents or what. 

On 1/25/2021 at 5:17 PM, Gern Blanston said:

Yes that's exactly how it starts and then it all kinda ties together and hits you about 2/3 way through season 1.

Season 5 is pretty darn good so far btw.  About 5-6 episodes in.

Just finished binge watching. HOLY F

This was so much better than last season

Spoiler

So the first episode kind of bothered me by them being so close to an explosion. I would have assumed they would get hit by debris

The villain's voice was bothering me. The actor was really trying to be sinister and was over doing it with his voice. He kept reminding me of some previous villain that I couldn't think of

Figures they killed off someone. Now was it the same with the books or did they just want to kill someone?

The space jump wasn't really believable but we also don't have the tech of whatever she used so that helps make it more believable

I thought the CGI on some parts seemed kind of cheap though

I don't understand how the big rock can be covered with stealth tech yet when it was broken up the little pieces were also covered. Only the outer parts should be covered I would think

Amos is awesome lol it'll be interesting if they have the new girl be part of the crew from now on

12 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Just finished binge watching. HOLY F

This was so much better than last season

Hide contents

So the first episode kind of bothered me by them being so close to an explosion. I would have assumed they would get hit by debris

The villain's voice was bothering me. The actor was really trying to be sinister and was over doing it with his voice. He kept reminding me of some previous villain that I couldn't think of

Figures they killed off someone. Now was it the same with the books or did they just want to kill someone?

The space jump wasn't really believable but we also don't have the tech of whatever she used so that helps make it more believable

I thought the CGI on some parts seemed kind of cheap though

I don't understand how the big rock can be covered with stealth tech yet when it was broken up the little pieces were also covered. Only the outer parts should be covered I would think

Amos is awesome lol it'll be interesting if they have the new girl be part of the crew from now on

Cas Anvar, the actor who plays Alex, was accused of sexual harassment by multiple women so they killed him off. That’s why his death was so abrupt and out of place.

I loved this season overall, but was very meh on the finale, and especially on where the show appears to be headed for season 6. Messing with the ring in season 4 nearly killed the whole thing for me and many others. 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, opengeo said:
  Hide contents

Cas Anvar, the actor who plays Alex, was accused of sexual harassment by multiple women so they killed him off. That’s why his death was so abrupt and out of place.

Oh wow. I didn't know about that. Damnit.

Spoiler

Surprised they didn't just recast like they did with the husband

5 hours ago, opengeo said:

I loved this season overall, but was very meh on the finale, and especially on where the show appears to be headed for season 6. Messing with the ring in season 4 nearly killed the whole thing for me and many others. 🤷‍♂️

It wasn't the ring that bothered me. This actually opens it up more IMO

Spoiler

He said he thinks they were waking up the thing that destroyed civilizations every time they went through the gate and then you see the thing. Also at the end credits we see whatever that other thing was on the planet light up blue

I think it could be cool

5 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Oh wow. I didn't know about that. Damnit.

Reveal hidden contents

Surprised they didn't just recast like they did with the husband

It wasn't the ring that bothered me. This actually opens it up more IMO

Hide contents

He said he thinks they were waking up the thing that destroyed civilizations every time they went through the gate and then you see the thing. Also at the end credits we see whatever that other thing was on the planet light up blue

I think it could be cool

We'll see man. I just don't think of extra-solar system as The Expanse. They have a great thing going when they just keep it in the family. 🤷‍♂️

9 minutes ago, opengeo said:

We'll see man. I just don't think of extra-solar system as The Expanse. They have a great thing going when they just keep it in the family. 🤷‍♂️

Did you read the books? I've been procrastinating on it forever lol

Good season, but that was a big WTF about Alex. I didn't know about the issues with Cas Anvar, but I guess it is what it is.

Well whoever the hell plays Amos better not F up in real life. His character is awesome

My favorite line was

Spoiler

Amos while they were in the woods

Could’ve stood that drink… maybe a few more hours by that fire. I feel like I haven’t been warm in years. What’s going on?

Making sure he’s not following us.

He was harmless.

[Amos] Maybe. The thing about civilization is, it keeps you civil. Get rid of one, you can’t count on the other.

It’s like you’ve done this before.

I grew up like this. Everyone else is just playing catch-up. People are tribal. The more settled things are, the bigger the tribes can be. The churn comes, and the tribes get small again. Right now, you and I are a tribe of two.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Well whoever the hell plays Amos better not F up in real life. His character is awesome

My favorite line was

Hide contents

Amos while they were in the woods

Could’ve stood that drink… maybe a few more hours by that fire. I feel like I haven’t been warm in years. What’s going on?

Making sure he’s not following us.

He was harmless.

[Amos] Maybe. The thing about civilization is, it keeps you civil. Get rid of one, you can’t count on the other.

It’s like you’ve done this before.

I grew up like this. Everyone else is just playing catch-up. People are tribal. The more settled things are, the bigger the tribes can be. The churn comes, and the tribes get small again. Right now, you and I are a tribe of two.

Best character on the show.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 3:32 PM, Gern Blanston said:

Banged out another 2 episodes.  I'm intrigued enough to keep going.  Maybe its my hearing, but the whole detective guy angle on Ceres(?) is a little hard to follow.  Not sure if its the accents or what. 

watch it with the captions on...it helps. 

also

Spoiler

the shows gets better once the detective loses that stupid hat

definitely worth sticking with, imo. 

I'm 100% into this show now, about half way thru Season 2 now I think, really liking it a lot. 

I'm guessing that it comes back as important later on, but a couple episodes back, they spent a lot of story time doing a couple flashbacks where some dude launched/invented the engine/motor all their ships now use to get around, and unless I completely missed something, the last I saw he was just hurtling out into space slowly dying from the G forces and unable to move his arms to shut down his engine.  They haven't come back to him or referenced him since which seems odd.

• Like 1

I thought season 5 was the best since S2.  looking forward to what should be a great final S6.  First time in show's history I thought Amos wasn't the best character.  I'd give that title to Drummond.

• Like 1

Finished Season 2 last night - so damn good.  Adam Savage from Mythbusters showing up as a rando crew guy headed to Venus...

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 4:34 AM, opengeo said:

Best character on the show.

Best character on any show since Rust Cohle.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 2:31 PM, jrsu37 said:

Best character on any show since Rust Cohle.

spin off. spin off. spin off!

• 8 months later...