The Matrix 4

opengeo

On 12/23/2021 at 11:36 PM, DBW said:

I thought it was entertaining. Unnecessary and didn’t advance the franchise or story at all. Almost a reboot but not really.  Don’t expect anything ground breaking. But you should be entertained regardless. 

This is how i felt. I read so many bad reviews but it wasn't bad. Just unnecessary. Cashing in on nostalgia and trying to reboot a franchise. 

The meta self-references were pouring it on SO HEAVY. The actors were practically turning to the camera to wink.

Overall it had entertainment value and was ok. But not the special movie they probably thought they were making.

10 hours ago, NOTW said:

This is how i felt. I read so many bad reviews but it wasn't bad. Just unnecessary. Cashing in on nostalgia and trying to reboot a franchise. 

The meta self-references were pouring it on SO HEAVY. The actors were practically turning to the camera to wink.

Overall it had entertainment value and was ok. But not the special movie they probably thought they were making.

Yeah people bashing it for being unoriginal or a reboot and not understanding how Morpheus is back but not in The same form seem to forget that the Matrix previously had 6 iterations.   The architect explained all of this to Neo in the last film.  They had always known there would be an anomaly, and they had always planned for it.  This is quite simply just the 7th iteration. There will be more. 

Only thing saving it from being a 1 stah movie were some of the action scenes. What a terrible movie

Overall the movie was just ok.  The Mehtrix. But it had a lot of problems.

Spoiler

They reduced Neo to a Jedi using force push like a thousand times in the movie - that gets REALLY old - and he barely uses any fighting choreography which was one of the enjoyable things about the first one.

They use the therapist character wearing blue glasses and giving him blue pills as the most obvious character ever then pretend that it's a big reveal that he's bad.  

They use "bullet time" against him...the term the filmmakers used for the technology to make the movie...now it's a concept in the movie? Huh?

So now Neo isn't the One, he and Trinity are The Two.  Like in Star Wars where Kylo Ren and Rey were a "diad" and more powerful together.  Aw.

His partner that turned out to be Smith was lame.  The actor is pretty good and having his business partner be an agent would have been fine, but trying to impersonate Huge Weaving was just bad.  As such, there was no chemistry with the characters.  There was no wow factor.  

The new Morpheus was meh.  They dressed him up in flamboyant clothing but he's also only a program not a real person.  But he's also part Smith, but the business partner was also Smith.  Ugh.  The Merovingian and his team showed up as homeless circus freaks and were really dumb. 

So the Matrix wants to keep Neo and Trinity from seeing each other so they program them to live in the same city and go to the same coffee shop and interact, assuring that there will be memories and they will talk and eventually connect.  Why not program them to live far apart and never interact?  That made no sense.

The machines use agents, but also the swarm.  They kill all these people off leaping from buildings which wastes them as power sources.  Doesn't seem efficient which is what you would expect from machines.

What I did like was the video game concept to trap Neo in a cycle of thinking it was all in his mind or he's going crazy, and the modal where new characters discovered it.  I like Jessica Henwick's character Bugs, the other new cast were forgettable.  Perhaps it would have been better if the events of the first movie were restarted because of the modal or some other anomaly and she's now replacing Morpheus as the one freeing people and just skip Morpheus if you're not going to have Lawrence Fishburne.  I also liked that the goal wasn't as huge.  They weren't actually trying to stop the machines or end the Matrix, their goal was to free the 2 legends and start from there.