Eagles Corners - signed new corners for depth

EagleVA

It seems to me the Eagles should have been reviewing all the corners that didn't make a roster to determine if any can upgrade our situation.

We have Slay and Maddox with decent speed at 4.36 and 4.39 repectively and we know what Maddox brings to the table. 

The other corners who I won't name clock in at 4.46, 4.49 and 4.54 which is too damn slow for the NFL.

I'm assuming everyone knows that you want corners with good footspeed, if they don't have it and your DL isn't pressuring the QB theyll get burnt all game/year long, see our recent past.

So I looked at the corners that were waived and most of them had the speed of our 4.4someting corners but there were a two worth taking a look at, Nickerson and Ross.

Parry Nickerson (4.32), here's his profile

D'Angelo Ross Pats practic quad (4.32), here's a short write-up on him

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

It seems to me the Eagles should have been reviewing all the corners that didn't make a roster to determine if any can upgrade our situation.

We have Slay and Maddox with decent speed at 4.36 and 4.39 repectively and we know what Maddox brings to the table. 

The other corners who I won't name clock in at 4.46, 4.49 and 4.54 which is too damn slow for the NFL.

I'm assuming everyone knows that you want corners with good footspeed, if they don't have it and your DL isn't pressuring the QB theyll get burnt all game/year long, see our recent past.

So I looked at the corners that were waived and most of them had the speed of our 4.4someting corners but there were a two worth taking a look at, Nickerson and Ross.

4.46 isn't that slow, and while it would be awesome to have all corners be over 6ft tall and run 4.3s that's not realistic, those guys don't grow on trees.

Ross is only 5'8" which like Maddox relegates him to nickel corner, playing nickel isn't so much about straight line speed as it is about quickness vision.

If one is playing a ton of cover 2 then ones ability to jam backpedal and close to the ball is more important than being able to run with a WR.

I think slay and nelson will be fine, and even though Maddox is fast I think he's a liability at nickel as he looked as lost there as he does on the outside, I think his best position is FS but he's just too small to hold up there over a 16 game season.

Zech no matter how fast he is or isn't i expect him to have his rookie struggles I'd guess he'll see some reps inside in dime, I don't think he has the length to be effective in the outside.

• Like 1

Cracks me up when all people care about is speed. Just like WRs, most of the better DBs and WRs are avg speed. Its over rated. Its about scheme, not speed

• Like 4

Just now, DeathByEagle said:

Cracks me up when all people care about is speed. Just like WRs, most of the better DBs and WRs are avg speed. Its over rated. Its about scheme, not speed

And technique

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeathByEagle said:

Yeah I don't really get it. I mean sure you want a guy to have decent speed but let's not forget a fast WR can't run flat out all of the time. They've got to slow down or adjust for the ball etc. 

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

I swear this dude is the reincarnation of Al Davis. 

I've been saying that for years lol. Just win baby!

• Like 1

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/platform/amp/2021/9/2/22654766/andre-chachere-eagles-colts-safety-cornerback-defensive-back-nfl-news-philadelphia-jonathan-gannon

The Philadelphia Eagles claimed defensive back Andre Chachere off waivers from the Indianapolis Colts, according to a report from NFL insider Tom Pelissero.

Chachere (pronounced SASH - ER - RAY) fills one of the two remaining roster spots the Eagles opened up earlier on Thursday.

I like pure speed at WR and edge rusher.  While it’s more complicated than just speed, both can be linear, downhill positions.  

At cb, they’ve got over the top safety help any time they are running 40 yards.  A 4.5 cb who uses his hands properly and doesn’t bite on a double move will be stride for stride with a burner far better than a 4.2 cb who doesn’t turn his hips at the right time, and gives up enough separation to make the CDC proud.

I think raw explosive athletes fit better in certain positions than others.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/platform/amp/2021/9/2/22654766/andre-chachere-eagles-colts-safety-cornerback-defensive-back-nfl-news-philadelphia-jonathan-gannon

The Philadelphia Eagles claimed defensive back Andre Chachere off waivers from the Indianapolis Colts, according to a report from NFL insider Tom Pelissero.

Chachere (pronounced SASH - ER - RAY) fills one of the two remaining roster spots the Eagles opened up earlier on Thursday.

It's he fast?

14 hours ago, Utebird said:

4.46 isn't that slow, and while it would be awesome to have all corners be over 6ft tall and run 4.3s that's not realistic, those guys don't grow on trees.

Ross is only 5'8" which like Maddox relegates him to nickel corner, playing nickel isn't so much about straight line speed as it is about quickness vision.

If one is playing a ton of cover 2 then ones ability to jam backpedal and close to the ball is more important than being able to run with a WR.

I think slay and nelson will be fine, and even though Maddox is fast I think he's a liability at nickel as he looked as lost there as he does on the outside, I think his best position is FS but he's just too small to hold up there over a 16 game season.

Zech no matter how fast he is or isn't i expect him to have his rookie struggles I'd guess he'll see some reps inside in dime, I don't think he has the length to be effective in the outside.

15 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Timed speed means nothing when it comes to corners really. Very rarely do corners run in a straight line unless it’s a go route. Hip flexibility, explosion in ten yard  spurts, the 3 cone Is way more important. Your vertical os extremely important due to acceleration and high pointing the ball are more important because he has to react to constant cuts on routes. His ability to diagnose which route he is running ia extremely important. Arm length and toughness for press corners are more only than long speed for guys on cover 2 because you have deep help from Safties. Those traits mean more than just straight line speed. Corners maybe run a go route 3-4 times a game ‘maximum.

Now if your wondering what will concern teams is guys running around 4.55 or slower, then that means evaluators need to go back and check the tape. If he looks like he can’t stay with college level receivers on a consistent basis then he is too slow or his instincts and techniques are poor. Those elements in his game can mask and cover slower time’s and certain schemes can hide slower corners as well. Our corners times are more than adequate to play in the NFL

• Like 1

Speaking of speed of players, I noticed that the judges and referees are not far away from most of the downfield plays.  Some were also running along side the plays.  The officials are not super athletes and if they were timed for 40-yard dash, I would guessed they are in the 5's or more.  Of course they have the advantage of starting position.  They are not far behind the players who live on speed.  That only tells that the 40 time might have to looked at differently.

20 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I've been saying that for years lol. Just win baby!

It's just not speed that I look for, that's why I included additional information, I always read their player profile.

There was one guy. Chris Wilcox that had a 4.31 40, I didn't include him because his profile didn't read well, so enough already with the Al Davis BS.

Rasual Douglas was a really good DB, he understood the game, had great ballahawking skills and was excellent tackler, the problem he had was his foot speed, if the QB had time he couldn't keep up with the receivers. 

It's a matter of having a DB that understands the game, has great ballahwking skills and is an excellent tackler with speed or without speed, anyone that choses without speed is a fool. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EagleVA said:

It's just not speed that I look for, that's why I included additional information, I always read their player profile.

There was one guy. Chris Wilcox that had a 4.31 40, I didn't include him because his profile didn't read well, so enough already with the Al Davis BS.

Rasual Douglas was a really good DB, he understood the game, had great ballahawking skills and was excellent tackler, the problem he had was his foot speed, if the QB had time he couldn't keep up with the receivers. 

It's a matter of having a DB that understands the game, has great ballahwking skills and is an excellent tackler with speed or without speed, anyone that choses without speed is a fool. 

... and sometimes the better player isn't as fast as the worst player. 

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

... and sometimes the better player isn't as fast as the worst player. 

True, that's why you have to look at everything, not just speed, unfortunatley because I always look at speed I have the reputation of only looking at speed, always and only aren't synonyms.  

18 hours ago, NOTW said:

4.49, no thanks.

3 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

True, that's why you have to look at everything, not just speed, unfortunatley because I always look at speed I have the reputation of only looking at speed, always and only aren't synonyms.  

Your reputation is because you make statements like:

The other corners who I won't name clock in at 4.46, 4.49 and 4.54 which is too damn slow for the NFL.

There are CBs all the time proving that that isn't "too slow for the NFL." 

27 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

4.49, no thanks.

How many 4.35 or better CBs do you think are floating around up for grabs?

23 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

There are CBs all the time proving that that isn't "too slow for the NFL." 

Or maybe it's their DLs proving they don't give the QB time to find a WR deep.

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

How many 4.35 or better CBs do you think are floating around up for grabs?

I listed twowith very good player profile analysis'.

1 minute ago, EagleVA said:

Or maybe it's their DLs proving they don't give the QB time to find a WR deep.

I'm sure that doesn't happen in a team sport.

5 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I'm sure that doesn't happen in a team sport.

And those guys are so good that both were waived by the teams they spent training camp with. 

• Like 1