The Offensive Line

GroundAttack

1 hour ago, Moe Greene said:

they blitzed him relentlessly and he made them pay almost every time. 

If you use the typical definition of a blitz being at least 5 pass rushers, the Falcons did not actually do much of that.  But they rushed 4 a lot and did a lot of things to disguise who was rushing, including doing a lot of stunts and semi-stunts, e.g., circling a linebacker or defensive back as the 4th rusher into a gap that was the not the natural gap for that player.  All of that was clearly designed to test Hurts' ability to read and react to all of it, and he aced the test just about every time.  That is an extremely important aspect of playing QB in the NFL, and it was very encouraging to see him handle it so seamlessly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BayAreaLennie said:

If you use the typical definition of a blitz being at least 5 pass rushers, the Falcons did not actually do much of that.  But they rushed 4 a lot and did a lot of things to disguise who was rushing, including doing a lot of stunts and semi-stunts, e.g., circling a linebacker or defensive back as the 4th rusher into a gap that was the not the natural gap for that player.  All of that was clearly designed to test Hurts' ability to read and react to all of it, and he aced the test just about every time.  That is an extremely important aspect of playing QB in the NFL, and it was very encouraging to see him handle it so seamlessly.

yeah, it was a mix of creative pressure and some blitzing, you could see that the backs were also doing a good job of blocking the extra rusher, and Hurts could feel the pressure and react accordingly. he has an instict that Went'z clearly lacked. how many time the last couple of seasons were you screaming at the TV, get out of there or throw it away!! and he would just have his eyes downfield and take the sack. 

17 minutes ago, Moe Greene said:

yeah, it was a mix of creative pressure and some blitzing, you could see that the backs were also doing a good job of blocking the extra rusher, and Hurts could feel the pressure and react accordingly. he has an instict that Went'z clearly lacked. how many time the last couple of seasons were you screaming at the TV, get out of there or throw it away!! and he would just have his eyes downfield and take the sack. 

You finally joined for me to buy you out? 

• Haha 1

On 9/17/2021 at 6:59 PM, Godfather said:

You finally joined for me to buy you out? 

uh uh, you don't buy me out I buy you out!😎

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Moe Greene said:

What's up Dave?!?!  Been a while amigo!  

4 hours ago, Moe Greene said:

I'm leaving for New York in the morning. I expect an answer by then

14 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

So no Mailata and Brooks plus Lane isn't 100%

Fun

I guess the 'good' news is that the Cowboys are banged up too. I think I saw somewhere that they have 2 of their starting D-Linemen out.

Birds will still lose though.

Now 3 of the starting 5 are out. Revolving door on the O Line just like last year. Doesn't bode well for the remaining games. 

yep, this unit has talent, but as usual, they can't stay healthy

5 starters: 1 out for the season, another basically out for the season, another currently hurt, another it's just a matter of time before he gets hurt, and a stalwart centerpiece in the middle who will probably retire at the end of the season

5 hours ago, hoosierdaddy said:

5 starters: 1 out for the season, another basically out for the season, another currently hurt, another it's just a matter of time before he gets hurt, and a stalwart centerpiece in the middle who will probably retire at the end of the season

The thing is... This team can afford to lose 1 maybe 2 starters because they do have decent depth along the OL. But when it gets to 3 and more it is just impossible. 

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The thing is... This team can afford to lose 1 maybe 2 starters because they do have decent depth along the OL. But when it gets to 3 and more it is just impossible. 

They can always get Jamon Brown back.  He was a solid back up 🙂

But I see your point.  Driscoll should be back soon as well.  We have def more depth as compared to last year.  Just no more season ending injuries and we should be ok.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Screen grabbed this from the Baldy Breakdown on a play when Mailata lined up at TE next to Dillard. 

Look at the size difference...... Crazy..... 

Screenshot_20211011-104950_Chrome.jpg

On 9/24/2021 at 6:19 PM, time2rock said:

What's up Dave?!?!  Been a while amigo!  

Who's Dave??? LOL