Jump to content
Hawkeye

Howie at it again: restructures Cox deal

Recommended Posts

One of the sites posted. Trying to compare on my phone with a fussy baby In my arm and surfing left handed, it looks like it added a void year to his contract and only raised 2022 by about 3 million. So likely 10 million added to 2023. 

So this move either opens up cap space next year to the tune of about 10 million or they can use it to extend someone  

 

edit: close. 2023 jumps up by about 8.  I’m doing a lot of rounding in my head. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

We keep saying it will catch up, but it seems to never happen. 

Maybe...  possibly... Howie knows what he's doing.

I know it doesn't make sense to insinuate that, but.... Occum's Razor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Talonblood said:

Fletch has only been an "ok" player to me- never a great one. I mean, he is a good player, but not a real star or whatever. Just my take on him.

I mean... that’s surely a take. Not a good one, but it’s a take.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

It's solely a cap manoeuvre so it usually accelerates as dead cap when they retire or is paid in that year if they restructure (because it's usually max prorated already and can't be moved backwards any longer).

I don't get the sense of creating cap this year unless it's to extend one or all of Barnett, Sweat and Goedert, who look to be the only outstanding long term pieces that aren't nailed down.

 

 

 

39 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

It’s a signing bonus, so he gets all of it within 30 days of signing the restructure.

And for the void years, a signing bonus can be prorated across up to 5 years, so it’ll be split to about 3 mil a year after the contract is done (if we don’t extend him). Not an insane amount

Thanks. I did know that but didn’t remember apparently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He has and he hasn't. He's kicked the can down the road again. Eventually that'll end up catching up with them in some form. 

Who cares if the Eagles have plenty of cap space to do what the want?  It wasn't that long ago that the TATE faithful were complaining about how cheap the team was because the Eagles usually led the league in cap space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, paco said:

One of the sites posted. Trying to compare on my phone with a fussy baby In my arm and surfing left handed, it looks like it added a void year to his contract and only raised 2022 by about 3 million. So likely 10 million added to 2023. 

So this move either opens up cap space next year to the tune of about 10 million or they can use it to extend someone  

 

edit: close. 2023 jumps up by about 8.  I’m doing a lot of rounding in my head. 

At the end of the day, these are academic discussions.  Eagles are one of the fortunate teams in the league to have their starting QB on a rookie salary.  The team will have plenty of cap space available for whatever moves management deems needed.  No shortage of dough to sign a coveted FA during the offseason, no shortage of money to extend key players.  Won't need to let a coveted starter leave the team as a FA because we can't afford to keep him.

The cap is not an issue for the team as long as Hurts is the starter on his rookie contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

We have been saying this every year. 

Just like we say every year he has to " nail this draft"

This was the worst it's ever been for kicking the can and we didn't lose anyone of significance. 

Anyways that's all I'm saying I hate cap talk it's useless. 

Howie is like the roadrunner and the NFL Cap is Wile E Coyote, no matter how dire it seems, it never seems to catch up to him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Howie is like the roadrunner and the NFL Cap is Wile E Coyote, no matter how dire it seems, it never seems to catch up to him.

I am not sure how he would of handled all of this if Wentz was still here though. He finds a way to keep pushing money around though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, thepaintedman said:

I mean... that’s surely a take. Not a good one, but it’s a take.

Actually, it's a damn accurate post. And it's not a take- it's a wrap. 🤣

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Actually, it's a damn accurate post. And it's not a take- it's a wrap. 🤣

I feel bad for Fletcher because he hasn't gotten the credit he deserves due to thinking like this (mostly because you probably think sacks are the only way to tell a good lineman). He's the most dominate defensive lineman this team has had since Reggie, and the main reason this team has had one of the best run defenses since he was drafted. 

Go back and rewatch his Seahawk playoff game... It's the best defensive performance by an Eagle in a playoff game since I've been watching (1991). It's amazing a fanbase that holds up Dawkins as a god, even though he vanished in multiple NFC Championship games, can't appreciate the dominance of Fletcher Cox, and would rather just trade him away for trash picks. 

The franchise didn't do him any favors either. I thought he or Brandon Graham should have been on the podium after the NFC championship win. Neither did much in the game as far as highlights, but those are two long time Eagles, and that moment would be a lot more special seeing one of them up there... Instead we get Chris Long (??) and we all know why... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Actually, it's a damn accurate post. And it's not a take- it's a wrap. 🤣

Yeah, Fletch is just okay… you right…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, murphwagon said:

I feel bad for Fletcher because he hasn't gotten the credit he deserves due to thinking like this (mostly because you probably think sacks are the only way to tell a good lineman). He's the most dominate defensive lineman this team has had since Reggie, and the main reason this team has had one of the best run defenses since he was drafted. 

 

I don't know if Fletch is the most dominate Dlineman since Reggie, I feel Trent Cole had more of an impact.... Fletch is one of those players that will dazzle and wow you in a few games and then go quiet for a lot of games were ppl wont notice him.. He is what he is, a solid DT, best since  Jerome Brown...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I am not sure how he would of handled all of this if Wentz was still here though. He finds a way to keep pushing money around though 

They’re taking Wentz’s entire $34 million cap hit this year. It wouldn’t matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

They’re taking Wentz’s entire $34 million cap hit this year. It wouldn’t matter.

I know but how would they push all they did to next year if Wentz was still on the book for next year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Jeep_man said:

I don't know if Fletch is the most dominate Dlineman since Reggie, I feel Trent Cole had more of an impact.... Fletch is one of those players that will dazzle and wow you in a few games and then go quiet for a lot of games were ppl wont notice him.. He is what he is, a solid DT, best since  Jerome Brown...

Fletcher goes quiet for games because he's being double teamed and schemed against. 

To quote Sean Payton when a reporter asked him about Trent Cole heading into their playoff game with the Eagles - "No one is worried about Trent Cole"  lol 

I'd take William Fuller, Huge Douglas over Cole. 

Never got to see Jerome play, so I don't know. He definitely had the respect of his peers, but I think a lot of it is legend due to his unfortunate early death. He played with the best defensive end in nfl history, and got to play in Buddy's system.  Fletch's DC have been Jaun Castillo (travesty), Billy Davis (terrrrrrrible), and Schwartz (pretty good but nothing historically great like Buddy's system) 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

So after all that offseason hand-wringing, the Eagles now have about $20 million in 2021 cap space, third most in the league (and this is AFTER the Mailata deal).  They can use it to extend, restructure or roll it over into 2022.  If they do that, they'll likely have three first round draft picks, most of their young core signed for the next three or four seasons and be out from under the $34 million dollar Wentz dead money charge.  

I gotta say, whatever you think of Howie's personnel skills he has done a great job of repositioning the organization. 

Still no details on the Mailata contract, and it makes Cox unable to be moved next year.    Once the numbers come out you will see the error of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I've never got that feeling with Fletcher either. I'm not sure why. 

Probably because he’s such a southern guy at heart. And for those saying he’s "ok”, y’all need to upgrade to HDTV. Despite what Aaron Donald may make you think (and he’s one of the best I’ve EVER seen), sacks are not end all be all for DTs. Fletch draws consistent double teams and allows guys like Hargrave to flourish across from him. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, murphwagon said:

Fletcher goes quiet for games because he's being double teamed and schemed against. 

To quote Sean Payton when a reporter asked him about Trent Cole heading into their playoff game with the Eagles - "No one is worried about Trent Cole"  lol 

I'd take William Fuller, Huge Douglas over Cole. 

Never got to see Jerome play, so I don't know. He definitely had the respect of his peers, but I think a lot of it is legend due to his unfortunate early death. He played with the best defensive end in nfl history, and got to play in Buddy's system.  Fletch's DC have been Jaun Castillo (travesty), Billy Davis (terrrrrrrible), and Schwartz (pretty good but nothing historically great like Buddy's system) 

 

 

Agreed D coordinators do have game plans to take away Fletch, they do the same for Aaron Donald too and we see the result there..

LOL Sean Payton is a Clown, who cares what he says.

William Fuller and Hugh weren't home grown, I was under the impression that conversation revolved around players drafted by the Eagles.

Jerome was great but he played with Reggie and Clyde, so he may have been slightly overrated but still the best DT till Fletch.. Fletch had his best season with Billy D I believe ? Billy D's defense was bad imo due to Chip Kelly's quick 3 and outs by the offence which literally gassed the D. Jimmy Shortz was just terrible, his DBs were burnt toasts the minute they stepped on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Maybe...  possibly... Howie knows what he's doing.

I know it doesn't make sense to insinuate that, but.... Occum's Razor?

Given the financial gymnastics he performs annually, perhaps we should refer to it as Roseman's Razor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, murphwagon said:

I feel bad for Fletcher because he hasn't gotten the credit he deserves due to thinking like this (mostly because you probably think sacks are the only way to tell a good lineman). He's the most dominate defensive lineman this team has had since Reggie, and the main reason this team has had one of the best run defenses since he was drafted. 

Go back and rewatch his Seahawk playoff game... It's the best defensive performance by an Eagle in a playoff game since I've been watching (1991). It's amazing a fanbase that holds up Dawkins as a god, even though he vanished in multiple NFC Championship games, can't appreciate the dominance of Fletcher Cox, and would rather just trade him away for trash picks. 

The franchise didn't do him any favors either. I thought he or Brandon Graham should have been on the podium after the NFC championship win. Neither did much in the game as far as highlights, but those are two long time Eagles, and that moment would be a lot more special seeing one of them up there... Instead we get Chris Long (??) and we all know why... 

Jerome Brown, Reggie White and company ruined it for for me.... for guys like Fletch. Fletch is a good player, but that's all he is to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, murphwagon said:

Fletcher goes quiet for games because he's being double teamed and schemed against. 

To quote Sean Payton when a reporter asked him about Trent Cole heading into their playoff game with the Eagles - "No one is worried about Trent Cole"  lol 

I'd take William Fuller, Huge Douglas over Cole. 

Never got to see Jerome play, so I don't know. He definitely had the respect of his peers, but I think a lot of it is legend due to his unfortunate early death. He played with the best defensive end in nfl history, and got to play in Buddy's system.  Fletch's DC have been Jaun Castillo (travesty), Billy Davis (terrrrrrrible), and Schwartz (pretty good but nothing historically great like Buddy's system) 

 

 

No no no …. Listen young fella Jerome Brown was F’ing legit. Super strong and quick.

The Eagles William Fuller was near the end of the line, he was solid for us but Trent much better in Philly anyway. Hugh Douglas was a fantastic player for a few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He has and he hasn't. He's kicked the can down the road again. Eventually that'll end up catching up with them in some form. 

Wow....you still don't get it. It NEVER catches up. All you have to do is keep converting salary to bonuses. The cowboys have been doing it for 25 years! Why don't people understand that the cap is not real?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Jeep_man said:

Agreed D coordinators do have game plans to take away Fletch, they do the same for Aaron Donald too and we see the result there..

LOL Sean Payton is a Clown, who cares what he says.

William Fuller and Hugh weren't home grown, I was under the impression that conversation revolved around players drafted by the Eagles.

Jerome was great but he played with Reggie and Clyde, so he may have been slightly overrated but still the best DT till Fletch.. Fletch had his best season with Billy D I believe ? Billy D's defense was bad imo due to Chip Kelly's quick 3 and outs by the offence which literally gassed the D. Jimmy Shortz was just terrible, his DBs were burnt toasts the minute they stepped on the field.

I can’t speak for everyone but I am not saying Fletch is on Donald’s level. He simply isn’t. Donald is on his own level. But Fletch is definitely in the immediate tier below. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, eephraim said:

Wow....you still don't get it. It NEVER catches up. All you have to do is keep converting salary to bonuses. The cowboys have been doing it for 25 years! Why don't people understand that the cap is not real?

We have been hearing that Howie keeps kicking the can down the road for 7 years now and how it's going to catch up to him, yet it never does.

So as far as I am concerned, Howie can keep kicking that M'Fer.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

We have been hearing that Howie keeps kicking the can down the road for 7 years now and how it's going to catch up to him, yet it never does.

So as far as I am concerned, Howie can keep kicking that M'Fer.

Nope.  This started in 2018 with bad extensions.  2022-23 the bill is gonna come due.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...