Howie at it again: restructures Cox deal

Hawkeye

So after all that offseason hand-wringing, the Eagles now have about $20 million in 2021 cap space, third most in the league (and this is AFTER the Mailata deal).  They can use it to extend, restructure or roll it over into 2022.  If they do that, they'll likely have three first round draft picks, most of their young core signed for the next three or four seasons and be out from under the $34 million dollar Wentz dead money charge.  

I gotta say, whatever you think of Howie's personnel skills he has done a great job of repositioning the organization. 

• Like 8

This is how a team ends up with way past their prime players getting paid top dollar.

Cox is still good but one of these days he won't be yet he'll still be paid top dollar 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He has and he hasn't. He's kicked the can down the road again. Eventually that'll end up catching up with them in some form. 

We have been saying this every year. 

Just like we say every year he has to " nail this draft"

This was the worst it's ever been for kicking the can and we didn't lose anyone of significance. 

Anyways that's all I'm saying I hate cap talk it's useless. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Utebird said:

This is how a team ends up with way past their prime players getting paid top dollar.

Cox is still good but one of these days he won't be yet he'll still be paid top dollar 

Yeah, I’d have been fine with even trying to trade Cox after this season. Love Fletch but he’s not one of those "Eagle for Life” guys for me. I’m usually in favor of letting a guy go when the time comes. There are very few exceptions that I’d keep until THEY decide they are done. Dawk, BG, and Kelce are the only ones that come to mind for me since like the Rhodes era. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, nipples said:

Yeah, I’d have been fine with even trying to trade Cox after this season. Love Fletch but he’s not one of those "Eagle for Life” guys for me. I’m usually in favor of letting a guy go when the time comes. There are very few exceptions that I’d keep until THEY decide they are done. Dawk, BG, and Kelce are the only ones that come to mind for me since like the Rhodes era. 

Yup, cox is still good and I think he's due to make 20 million next year?

He's no longer a 20 million a year player 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nipples said:

I've never got that feeling with Fletcher either. I'm not sure why. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:
I gotta say, whatever you think of Howie's personnel skills he has done a great job of repositioning the organization. 

So what you’re saying is Howie does a good job cleaning up the messes he makes.  :P

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, time2rock said:

So what you’re saying is Howie does a good job cleaning up the messes he makes.  :P

Thee best!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He has and he hasn't. He's kicked the can down the road again. Eventually that'll end up catching up with them in some form. 

Everybody kicks the can down the road. That's the way the cap is structured - to provide some flexibility while keeping a hard cap in place.  It reduces his cap number now and moves some of it into next season when the Eagles have much more breathing room and can afford a bigger number, and the Eagles can move on after next season.

It's all just accounting wizardry, of course,  but Howie has it down. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

We have been saying this every year. 

Just like we say every year he has to " nail this draft"

This was the worst it's ever been for kicking the can and we didn't lose anyone of significance. 

Anyways that's all I'm saying I hate cap talk it's useless. 

Not me. I'm fascinated by the business of professional sports.  

Just now, Hawkeye said:

Not me. I'm fascinated by the business of professional sports.  

Nothing wrong with that. I just choose to ignore it most of the time lol. 

You @paco and @downundermike do a good job of figuring it out though for people like me who don't want to get involved and dumb it down for us lol. 

• Like 1

So how do the dead years work? Are players paid that money now and it’s just on the books after the contract expires or do they have to wait for the money until that year? 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

This one appears to be converting salary from this year into a signing bonus right?  What's the impact to future years, dead money, etc?

It's the contract extensions that kick the can down the road.  I agree with you, he does that with aging veterans where they are past their peak and getting into injury or decline.  

Howie isn't a "cap genius" anymore.  Every team in the NFL does this to stay under the cap.  Where I think Howie excels is structuring the various deals so that they can afford to keep the players they want to and restructure/extend core players to keep.  After the SB win he wanted to keep the band together and extended guys too long and should have done shorter term contracts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I've never got that feeling with Fletcher either. I'm not sure why. 

Fletch has only been an "ok" player to me- never a great one. I mean, he is a good player, but not a real star or whatever. Just my take on him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Nothing wrong with that. I just choose to ignore it most of the time lol. 

You @paco and @downundermike do a good job of figuring it out though for people like me who don't want to get involved and dumb it down for us lol. 

I haven’t seen the details yet. Let’s assume they do nothing with the cap space created, then I would guess it lightens this years hit (obviously), the roll over will help create space next year, and more dead cap will be pushed to 2023.

When I put baby girl down, if I can sneak to my laptop for 5 minutes I’ll screen cap what it looks like today and compare it to the restructure when it posts 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 20dawk4life said:

So how do the dead years work? Are players paid that money now and it’s just on the books after the contract expires or do they have to wait for the money until that year? 

It's solely a cap manoeuvre so it usually accelerates as dead cap when they retire or is paid in that year if they restructure (because it's usually max prorated already and can't be moved backwards any longer).

I don't get the sense of creating cap this year unless it's to extend one or all of Barnett, Sweat and Goedert, who look to be the only outstanding long term pieces that aren't nailed down.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

It's solely a cap manoeuvre so it usually accelerates as dead cap when they retire or is paid in that year if they restructure (because it's usually max prorated already and can't be moved backwards any longer).

I don't get the sense of creating cap this year unless it's to extend one or all of Barnett, Sweat and Goedert, who look to be the only outstanding long term pieces that aren't nailed down.

It could be that. Or they use the roll over to open up cap space next year

1 hour ago, Talonblood said:

Fletch has only been an "ok" player to me- never a great one. I mean, he is a good player, but not a real star or whatever. Just my take on him.

He has a reputation for terrorizing opposing teams, but rarely lives up to his billing.  Or his contract.   Good to sometimes very good, but not a great player.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Not if the cap skyrockets as most project

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

It’s a signing bonus, so he gets all of it within 30 days of signing the restructure.

And for the void years, a signing bonus can be prorated across up to 5 years, so it’ll be split to about 3 mil a year after the contract is done (if we don’t extend him). Not an insane amount

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

We keep saying it will catch up, but it seems to never happen. 

• Like 3