Derek Barnett stock: rising or falling?

NOTW

Today a lot of fans were hating Barnett for the penalty, saying he sucks and no good. Probably just GDT emotion. Last week people said his 1 play in the Super Bowl alone made picking him worth it.

Graham is out so now, Barnett is the more experienced starter. The question to you: how do you feel about Barnett? 

I'm the biggest Barnett fan on this board. With that said I'm ready to move on and let Kerrigan take over for Graham and let one of these young guys back him up. It's obvious he's gone after this year. Get something for him now while you can

Will always be grateful for his contributions to LII, especially being in the right place at the right time after BG's strip sack on Brady, but we also can't let personal biases cloud our judgement. Overall, he is a JAG IMO, and also a penalty liability. Ready to move on.

• Like 2

Declining returns. He’s the most undisciplined player on the team. We can’t afford to bench him, but his brain dead penalties are exhausting and costly. I don’t know the remedy, but whoever, if anyone, is getting in his face about it, it’s not working. 

• Like 1

I would want to get rid of him TODAY by any means necessary if BG didn't get hurt. Tired of his only contributions to the games being negative ones. Unfortunately we will have to depend on this guy to play major minutes going forward. Hope he can make some plays and prove me wrong.

• Like 1

When will he of all players learn? He is a walking personal foul. Refs look for it. We have come to expect it. That isn't good either way you stack it.

• Like 1

We all love Graham, but if Milton Williams can step up the way many hope, a Kerrigan/Williams platoon won't leave anyone missing much from Graham except his personality, leadership, and trash talk.

• Like 1

On the fences. Often needed, but hardly ever wished for.

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

The question to you: how do you feel about Barnett? 

I think he's a flag waiting to happen who doesn't get the sacks and plays to warrant us putting up with those bone headed flags. He's not gotten a long term deal because he just isn't that good. Is he decent? Yeah he's average at least but I wouldn't be upset if they just let him walk. 

The guy has no discipline. Cost his team a real shot at winning when they caught a break. Absolutely no excuse for that cheap shot after the play was over. Can't stand him. Looking forward to next year when he's gone.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, eagle45 said:

We all love Graham, but if Milton Williams can step up the way many hope, a Kerrigan/Williams platoon won't leave anyone missing much from Graham except his personality, leadership, and trash talk.

Don’t underestimate his contributions to stopping the run. Graham is a great run defending DE. 

42 minutes ago, shlo said:

The guy has no discipline. Cost his team a real shot at winning when they caught a break. Absolutely no excuse for that cheap shot after the play was over. Can't stand him. Looking forward to next year when he's gone.

Absolutely. I think that was one of a few plays that ultimately cost this team. Of course there are bigger and more obvious plays but this played a real part no doubt. 

Barnett consistently delivers some of the most bone-jarring hits this defense has produced over the last few years. Hopefully one day he'll make one before the play is blown dead. I don't know, maybe it's just wishful thinking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The guy never makes a play.....other than the boneheaded variety.  Never been impressed with him.  There are plays he literally just takes off and provides no effort.  He's a liability.

He’s a good rotational pass rusher. He’s out of position a lot on running plays and is a flag machine. Thanks for the fumble recovery but bye bye. 

I’d rather use  a high pick, ours or dolphins on this guy below and he end up a bust than bring back Barnett.

EF23E1CF-082F-4CEE-B257-84E1BEEB75EE.jpeg

The 2017 draft was supposed to be a deep corner draft and corner was a desperate position of need for the Eagles.  So by taking Barnett in the 1st and thinking they could get good corners later, IMO set the expectation that this DE better be damn worth it, a player you just can't pass up in the 1st.

Then they go and draft injured Sydney Jones who will sit a year, and then Douglas.  Both did almost nothing then were cut.  RB was another position of need and a deep class so they take a pee wee football player in Pumphrey.  What a terrible draft.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, NOTW said:

The 2017 draft was supposed to be a deep corner draft and corner was a desperate position of need for the Eagles.  So by taking Barnett in the 1st and thinking they could get good corners later, IMO set the expectation that this DE better be damn worth it, a player you just can't pass up in the 1st.

Then they go and draft injured Sydney Jones who will sit a year, and then Douglas.  Both did almost nothing then were cut.  RB was another position of need and a deep class so they take a pee wee football player in Pumphrey.  What a terrible draft.

And look who went two picks later, a first team all pro and 2x pro bowl corner.

image.png.f1b54600ec9c52b67ea68db88ada04b1.png

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

And look who went two picks later, a first team all pro and 2x pro bowl corner.

image.png.f1b54600ec9c52b67ea68db88ada04b1.png

Howie does it again. 

• Like 1

I want him to play lights out for the rest of the season.   So we can get a decent comp pick after his ass is gone.

5 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

I’d rather use  a high pick, ours or dolphins on this guy below and he end up a bust than bring back Barnett.

EF23E1CF-082F-4CEE-B257-84E1BEEB75EE.jpeg

I agree but I can confidently say that if the Eagles are in the top 5 of the draft with their pick, it will be for a QB. If the Eagles are decent and the Dolphins pick is top 5 then I can see a non-QB selected.