Derek Barnett stock: rising or falling?

NOTW

33 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

I agree but I can confidently say that if the Eagles are in the top 5 of the draft with their pick, it will be for a QB. If the Eagles are decent and the Dolphins pick is top 5 then I can see a non-QB selected.

So far not a huge fan of the qbs this year. Remind me of wentz’s year. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NOTW said:

Today a lot of fans were hating Barnett for the penalty, saying he sucks and no good. Probably just GDT emotion. Last week people said his 1 play in the Super Bowl alone made picking him worth it.

Graham is out so now, Barnett is the more experienced starter. The question to you: how do you feel about Barnett? 

I don’t feel better about the player. I don’t think he makes smart decisions on the field. He’s been hit with these kinds of penalties in the past. In any case he’s gotta step up now and prove he deserves a contract. Even if he can’t rush the passer or play the run that well he needs to play more disciplined out there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NOTW said:

The 2017 draft was supposed to be a deep corner draft and corner was a desperate position of need for the Eagles.  So by taking Barnett in the 1st and thinking they could get good corners later, IMO set the expectation that this DE better be damn worth it, a player you just can't pass up in the 1st.

Then they go and draft injured Sydney Jones who will sit a year, and then Douglas.  Both did almost nothing then were cut.  RB was another position of need and a deep class so they take a pee wee football player in Pumphrey.  What a terrible draft.

That's because our non football knowledge GM loves numbers. Pumphrey was the all time yards leader and Barnett crushed Reggie White's Tennessee sack numbers. Guess we all now know numbers don't mean sheeet.

6 hours ago, NOTW said:

The 2017 draft was supposed to be a deep corner draft and corner was a desperate position of need for the Eagles.  So by taking Barnett in the 1st and thinking they could get good corners later, IMO set the expectation that this DE better be damn worth it, a player you just can't pass up in the 1st.

Then they go and draft injured Sydney Jones who will sit a year, and then Douglas.  Both did almost nothing then were cut.  RB was another position of need and a deep class so they take a pee wee football player in Pumphrey.  What a terrible draft.

Heck the only player left on the roster from the 2016 draft is Seumalo. 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Heck the only player left on the roster from the 2016 draft is Seumalo. 

Yikes.

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Yikes.

26 picks from 2016-2019.  We have Seumalo, Barnett ( probably not for long ), Goedert ( maybe not for long ) Maddox ( maybe not for long ) Sweat, Mailata, Dillard ( probably not for long ), Sanders and JJAWful ( hopefully not for long )

We could go into next season with 4 of those 26 picks on the roster.

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

26 picks from 2016-2019.  We have Seumalo, Barnett ( probably not for long ), Goedert ( maybe not for long ) Maddox ( maybe not for long ) Sweat, Mailata, Dillard ( probably not for long ), Sanders and JJAWful ( hopefully not for long )

We could go into next season with 4 of those 26 picks on the roster.

Howie stinks.

5 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The fact Howie still has a job here is beyond me. 

Correct.  I've been arguing a couple years at least now that he's no longer a "cap genius."  Everyone in the league restructures, gets under the cap, etc.  He used to excel at finding ways to structure each deal to extend core young talent and spread out the cap hits.  He at times has suckered teams into trades but I think they're onto him on that.  The most important aspect is drafting which he sucks at so he has to sign free agents or keep players from the Reid era too long.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 9:32 AM, NOTW said:

Today a lot of fans were hating Barnett for the penalty, saying he sucks and no good. Probably just GDT emotion. Last week people said his 1 play in the Super Bowl alone made picking him worth it.

Graham is out so now, Barnett is the more experienced starter. The question to you: how do you feel about Barnett? 

Almost anyone could have done what Barnett did in the super bowl, it isn't like he caused the fumble. That is nowhere near enough to makeup for his complete idiocy with penalties and his absolute lack of impact 

With BG out, his stock is rising by sheer coincidence.  

50 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

With BG out, his stock is rising by sheer coincidence.  

Yeah, but if he goes out there and continues to make stupid decisions that cost the team he won’t be playing. They can run a 3-4 with Avery at Olb with Singleto and TJ Edwards on the inside. 

18 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

I respectful disagree but I could be wrong

18 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Me neither its a very weak class

Josh Sweat needs to start in place of BG. Barnett needs to remain on the 2nd line rotation. 

Sweat and Kerrigan

Barnett and Jackson maybe add Milton Williams to the mix.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, devpool said:

Almost anyone could have done what Barnett did in the super bowl, it isn't like he caused the fumble. That is nowhere near enough to makeup for his complete idiocy with penalties and his absolute lack of impact 

We just figured out in the blog last night that Barnett has more penalties then sacks in his career. 

I don't know what it is with this city and having negative impact guys on their teams. Lol

On 9/19/2021 at 9:55 PM, Southparkeagles said:

Declining returns. He’s the most undisciplined player on the team. We can’t afford to bench him, but his brain dead penalties are exhausting and costly. I don’t know the remedy, but whoever, if anyone, is getting in his face about it, it’s not working. 

hey now...you're talking about the guy who broke reggie white's sack record at Tennessee!!!! (facepalm)

why the F can't we draft.??? We're going to have to start a turnstile we took in the first round at LT this week. Good Grief!!!

• Haha 1

On 9/20/2021 at 8:50 AM, b_west3 said:

He's slow as hell too.  He played the reverse play perfectly but just got ran by with ease. 

I've always said he was slow, weak and too small for my liking, I said from day 1, horrible pick.

Then I hear, oh, he went to Tennessee, he's gonna be another Reggie White.