Derek Barnett stock: rising or falling?

NOTW

I hate to say it but I do remember a lot of fans being displeased with this pick at the time. Now I know that's true of a lot of picks but everything that was said about Barnett then has come to fruition. 

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I hate to say it but I do remember a lot of fans being displeased with this pick at the time. Now I know that's true of a lot of picks but everything that was said about Barnett then has come to fruition. 

They are not pleased about any pick. 

11 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He was a 4th round talent with big college stats. That pick was when Howie was in his college production/statistic fad.  Thankfully, he has moved on from that.

The lifecycle for me with Eagles draft picks is that I am harder on them than anyone early on when I complain about their limitations…then I am softer on them on the way out when other fans with huge homeristic opinions turn on them at the end.

Barnett is one of those players.  He was a bad first round pick.  Not because of his production relative to an average first…but because he never had any upside.  

But now?  He’s one of those "he is what he is” players.  He hustled and has a motor.  He’ll hold his own against the run and will get periodic hustle pressures and sacks, usually 6-7 sacks per year.  That’s not terrible.  That just…is what it is.  You need some players like that…just not too many and not too few.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

They are not pleased about any pick. 

Generally true but I’d say the vast majority were happy with the Smith pick this year. Of course there will always be a few that dislike anything. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, eagle45 said:

He was a 4th round talent with big college stats. That pick was when Howie was in his college production/statistic fad.  Thankfully, he has moved on from that.

Has he? I guess he did pick 2 Bama players in this years draft. FINALLY.

On 9/25/2021 at 2:18 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

What I remember most about the pick was Ray Didinger just loving the pick and all this talk about him breaking Reggie White’s record in college. He doesn’t seem to have elite level pass rush skills. Heck the only reason he was in position to get the fumble in the SB was due to the fact he didn’t get pressure. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

What I remember most about the pick was Ray Didinger just loving the pick and all this talk about him breaking Reggie White’s record in college. He doesn’t seem to have elite level pass rush skills. Heck the only reason he was in position to get the fumble in the SB was due to the fact he didn’t get pressure. 

The thing I remember is they talked about his high motor. He never gives up on plays. And whilst I think that's a good trait to have it doesn't scream high production to me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The thing I remember is they talked about his high motor. He never gives up on plays. And whilst I think that's a good trait to have it doesn't scream high production to me. 

Not giving up on play sometimes can be a detriment and that’s why he keeps getting these personal foul calls. 

27 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Not giving up on play sometimes can be a detriment and that’s why he keeps getting these personal foul calls. 

I mean yeah that's one way of viewing it I guess. I just don't see high motor guy and think stud DE. I think a guy with a decent floor and a guy who's going to be solid... And that's what we have. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean yeah that's one way of viewing it I guess. I just don't see high motor guy and think stud DE. I think a guy with a decent floor and a guy who's going to be solid... And that's what we have. 

It’s kind of what Brandon Graham was coming out too. He was considered a high motor guy. The difference I think is Graham makes a lot of plays against the run and he can set the edge. I feel like Barnett sticks out for more plays he didn’t make than the ones he’s actually made.

• Like 1

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

It’s kind of what Brandon Graham was coming out too. He was considered a high motor guy. The difference I think is Graham makes a lot of plays against the run and he can set the edge. I feel like Barnett sticks out for more plays he didn’t make than the ones he’s actually made.

Oh for sure buddy for sure. And there's nothing wrong with having a career like BG either... I just don't think that's a player who typically will have a great career. They may have a good career, some may be great like BG but typically they are just going to be solid players. I'd love us to add a DE with that utter raw athleticism who has the moves and can become a freak in the NFL. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Probably because Barnett literally has more.penalties and personal fouls then sacks lol. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh for sure buddy for sure. And there's nothing wrong with having a career like BG either... I just don't think that's a player who typically will have a great career. They may have a good career, some may be great like BG but typically they are just going to be solid players. I'd love us to add a DE with that utter raw athleticism who has the moves and can become a freak in the NFL. 

When was the last time the Eagles were in position to take a guy like that? Usually they take an Offensive lineman that high or a quarterback. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Probably because Barnett literally has more.penalties and personal fouls then sacks lol. 

Well no more excuses for the guy. He has to step up tonight and for the rest of the season with Graham out. 

• Like 1

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

When was the last time the Eagles were in position to take a guy like that? Usually they take an Offensive lineman that high or a quarterback. 

Well yeah that's very true and very fair. And this is why I like the idea of building up this roster before committing to a high draft pick QB.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well yeah that's very true and very fair. And this is why I like the idea of building up this roster before committing to a high draft pick QB.

Andy Reid had his LT before he had his quarterback. He also had a great defense too, but that was mostly built by Ray Rhodes. I don’t know what Hurts will be. I’m taking a wait and see on him. Some people already think he’s the guy while other already call the kid a bum. I think this game will give us better insight on both the quarterback and the coach, but ultimately I agree with you. This team needs more talent and I don’t even think an upper echelon quarterback makes this team good enough. Maybe good enough to make the playoffs in the crappy NFC East, but that about it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

This team needs more talent and I don’t even think an upper echelon quarterback makes this team good enough. Maybe good enough to make the playoffs in the crappy NFC East, but that about it. 

A top QB makes this team more fun (and I'm by no way writing off Hurts) but I don't think it makes this a good team. 

And these Barnett flags are just ridiculous.

Barnett is yet another wasted pick that has been jammed down our throats and told to us that he’s going to be the next best thing. I got news for you, he’s not. There’s a reason that started to prefer Sweat over him.