Seasons Over

GreenMachine

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Agholor, Gibson, Holland, Jeffrey extension, Mike Wallace, Tate trade, Jackson trade, JJawful.

Then after all that, a 1st round WR and 3 receivers in a draft, then another WR in the 1st.

Continuinual mistakes.

Remind me who Holland is again? Name doesn’t ring a bell. I also wouldn’t include late round guys, most late round guys don’t stick around for most teams anyways. Jeffery extension made sense at the time, he was playing at a strong level during the Super Bowl season and was only 27 at the time. Mike Wallace was a 1 year 2.5 million dollar deal, wouldn’t say that was all that big of a mistake. I don’t hate Agholor pick, he wasn’t a big contributor his whole career in Philly but he was in season it mattered the most. Jackson trade was him and a 2020 7th for a 2019 6th (that pick was used on Scotty Miller who’s put up 700 receiving yards and 4 TD so far, which definitely exceeds Jackson’s stats in 2019/2020 season), so I’ll give you that one. I won’t even defend JJAW or Tate, those were bad. 

I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing to keep putting in resources into a position until you eventually get it right. 

2 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Remind me who Holland is again? Name doesn’t ring a bell. I also wouldn’t include late round guys, most late round guys don’t stick around for most teams anyways. Jeffery extension made sense at the time, he was playing at a strong level during the Super Bowl season and was only 27 at the time. Mike Wallace was a 1 year 2.5 million dollar deal, wouldn’t say that was all that big of a mistake. I don’t hate Agholor pick, he wasn’t a big contributor his whole career in Philly but he was in season it mattered the most. Jackson trade was him and a 2020 7th for a 2019 6th (that pick was used on Scotty Miller who’s put up 700 receiving yards and 4 TD so far, which definitely exceeds Jackson’s stats in 2019/2020 season), so I’ll give you that one. I won’t even defend JJAW or Tate, those were bad. 

I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing to keep putting in resources into a position until you eventually get it right. 

1st and 2nd round picks need to be spent on the premium positions.  Those are the positions that determine whether you win or lose and can not be traded for or signed as free agents.  1)  QB  2)  LT  3)  DE & CB  4)  RT & DT  After that you get good interior OLmen in the 3rd and 4th rounds and can sometimes develop later rounders.  Then you fill in other positions.  WR is the #1 bust position in the 1st round historically.  You don't draft them there.  You get great WRs in the 2nd round and can get good ones in the 3rd, sometimes the 4th.  But the premium positions and the Oline always come first...if you know what you are doing

14 minutes ago, weko said:

1st and 2nd round picks need to be spent on the premium positions.  Those are the positions that determine whether you win or lose and can not be traded for or signed as free agents.  1)  QB  2)  LT  3)  DE & CB  4)  RT & DT  After that you get good interior OLmen in the 3rd and 4th rounds and can sometimes develop later rounders.  Then you fill in other positions.  WR is the #1 bust position in the 1st round historically.  You don't draft them there.  You get great WRs in the 2nd round and can get good ones in the 3rd, sometimes the 4th.  But the premium positions and the Oline always come first...if you know what you are doing

Yes I know the importance of positions, and which ones are more important than the others. But There’s no exact formula to team building, and taking those premium positions in high rounds only increases your chances at finding a long term star caliber player at that position. Eagles found their starting left tackle in the 7th round, while their first round left tackle will be on a new team in 6 months. 

But I’ll indulge in what you’re saying, mainly with taking a QB in first round. Because I believe QB in 1st round is also one of the highest bust percentages. I’m going to go from 2010-2019 drafts, 2020/2021 are too recent to judge. And anytime before 2010 feels a bit outdated since landscape of NFL has changed, besides only 3 QB drafted in first round pre-2010 still remain starting on same team, and will be either retired/playing for new team in 1-2 years. From the 2010 draft thru the 2019 draft, in the first round 30 QB have been drafted. Of that 30, 12 are already out of the league or free agents.  5 are already backups on new teams. 6 are starters on new teams, 5 of those are basically just on a trial season to see if maybe they can be long term answer. 7 of those are still starting QB on the teams that drafted them. Mahomes/Watson have been on same team longest dating back to 2017, either Watson is going to be traded within next 6 months or his NFL career is over. Daniel Jones will also likely be on a new team next year, hopefully not. 

Of that 30, only 4 have reached the Super Bowl. Mahomes, Wentz, Goff, and Cam. Mahomes & Wentz are only ones to win a Super Bowl, Mahomes is only one to be the starter in a Super Bowl win. 

I could dive into playoff/regular season success, might help your argument a bit. But honestly seems like too much work.