Kyle Hamilton (Notre Dame S) -- DRAFTED BY BALTIMORE #14

Ewaeagle

10 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

JD and Ojabo? I’ve warmed to Linderbaum now that we are actually a running team.

Karlaftis or Leal if we don’t trade up from the Dolphins pick. Hutchinson would be the target if we do I guess.

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You'd give up the Colts pick for example to go and get Hutchinson? Or Hamilton but I do agree with you I don't see them doing it.

For Hutch 3-5 spots, not for Hamilton.

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You'd give up the Colts pick for example to go and get Hutchinson? Or Hamilton but I do agree with you I don't see them doing it.

I hate to ever say "zero chance" about practically anything, but I'd have to say there is (practically) zero chance we'd use a high pick to move up for a S.  Heck, under normal circumstances I have a hard time thinking we'd take a S in the first even without moving up.  But obviously having 3 (likely) 1st rd picks is not "normal circumstances" ... that could open the door to taking a S or maybe even a LB on day 1 (but I still put the chances fairly low).  

And while I love Hutch, I wouldn't want to move up for him.  If he fell to us and we take him great.  But I much prefer to use those 3 high picks on 3 separate players.  If Howie used 2 of them on a single player and that player crapped out for whatever reason, that would be extremely bad.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

I hate to ever say "zero chance" about practically anything, but I'd have to say there is (practically) zero chance we'd use a high pick to move up for a S.  Heck, under normal circumstances I have a hard time thinking we'd take a S in the first even without moving up.  But obviously having 3 (likely) 1st rd picks is not "normal circumstances" ... that could open the door to taking a S or maybe even a LB on day 1 (but I still put the chances fairly low).  

And while I love Hutch, I wouldn't want to move up for him.  If he fell to us and we take him great.  But I much prefer to use those 3 high picks on 3 separate players.  If Howie used 2 of them on a single player and that player crapped out for whatever reason, that would be extremely bad.  

Agreed.

In that 8-12 range, we’ll probably target someone like Leal or Karlaftis IMO.

17 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Agreed.

In that 8-12 range, we’ll probably target someone like Leal or Karlaftis IMO.

Yes that seems most likely.  But I wouldn't completely rule out Hutch being there with our first pick though.  Have to figure Thibodeaux, Stingley, and Hamilton are locks to go early.  I also believe we are likely to see 2 QBs (minimum) go in top 10.  2017 was another draft that was described as a weak QB class (defined pre draft process) but yielded 2 top 10 picks on them.  Have to think Neal will go early as well.  That's 6 players.  Let's hope Miami starts losing more games to bump that pick up from 8 to maybe 5-6 but their schedule is somewhat weak (Panthers, Giants, Jets are next 3 ... after that a bit tougher of a 3 game stretch to end the season:  Saints, Titans, Patriots).  

39 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Yes that seems most likely.  But I wouldn't completely rule out Hutch being there with our first pick though.  Have to figure Thibodeaux, Stingley, and Hamilton are locks to go early.  I also believe we are likely to see 2 QBs (minimum) go in top 10.  2017 was another draft that was described as a weak QB class (defined pre draft process) but yielded 2 top 10 picks on them.  Have to think Neal will go early as well.  That's 6 players.  Let's hope Miami starts losing more games to bump that pick up from 8 to maybe 5-6 but their schedule is somewhat weak (Panthers, Giants, Jets are next 3 ... after that a bit tougher of a 3 game stretch to end the season:  Saints, Titans, Patriots).  

Agreed.

Let’s hope the Dolphins lose at least 4 of those games. At 5-11 we’ll likely end up with a top 6 pick. If Thibodeaux goes No.1 and either or both the Lions and Texans grab a QB and another team takes Neal (come on Jags), one of Hutch, Stingley or Hamilton will fall right into our lap.

I’m also rooting for the Bears since Giants own their first. They’re picking 6th and 7th at the moment and could steal 2 prospects right in front of our noses. Man would I feel horrible if they end up taking Hutch and Stingley/Hamilton before we’re on the clock. Sort of what we did to them in april. Could be payback time.

46 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Agreed.

Let’s hope the Dolphins lose at least 4 of those games. At 5-11 we’ll likely end up with a top 6 pick. If Thibodeaux goes No.1 and either or both the Lions and Texans grab a QB and another team takes Neal (come on Jags), one of Hutch, Stingley or Hamilton will fall right into our lap.

I’m also rooting for the Bears since Giants own their first. They’re picking 6th and 7th at the moment and could steal 2 prospects right in front of our noses. Man would I feel horrible if they end up taking Hutch and Stingley/Hamilton before we’re on the clock. Sort of what we did to them in april. Could be payback time.

If they lose 4 that would put them at 6-11.  This past draft, teams with 6 wins were picking 9-10 (and teams with 11 losses were picking 5-7).  So I imagine if they end up 6-11 we'd likely be picking 7 or 8.  

I definitely hear ya on rooting for the Bears - been having the same thoughts about NY (currently projected) picking before us.  Who knows though, maybe they finally give up on the Jones experiment and pick another QB - he's awful.  Obviously pulling for NY to win as many games to close out the season as possible (except for the 2 they play us :lol: ).  They play Miami on Dec 5th - would be a double win for us if NY won that game.  

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 3:32 PM, ibleedgreen1990 said:

Hope we can get him!

I hope so too. But we can hope all we like it isn't going to happen. 

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I hope so too. But we can hope all we like it isn't going to happen. 

Probably not. But there are multiple factors in play here..

How high will the Dolphin pick be? How will he look at the combine? Will there be multiple top10 QBs despite what everybody is saying right now?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Infam said:

Probably not. But there are multiple factors in play here..

How high will the Dolphin pick be? How will he look at the combine? Will there be multiple top10 QBs despite what everybody is saying right now?

The biggest factor though is Howie... And even if Hamilton is on the board he won't take him. 

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The biggest factor though is Howie... And even if Hamilton is on the board he won't take him. 

Wouldn’t be so sure. I’d think he’d rather pick DE, but if the top prospects are gone who knows. Don’t underestimate how much the coaches factor in. I bet Siriani had some sway in drafting Smith too.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2022-nfl-mock-draft-miller-november/

(8) Philadelphia Eagles: Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame

That sound you hear is expletives from every single team drafting behind the Philadelphia Eagles. Team officials threw pens, slammed tables, and called their therapist over this one.

With two more picks upcoming, there is ample time to fill more significant needs later. Kyle Hamilton might be the most gifted player in this class. He is a unicorn on the back end. His range and versatility had struck me since I first laid eyes on him while studying the 2020 NFL Draft class as a freshman.

He was the best player on the field then, and he still is. Think about that for a second. Think of some of the Fighting Irish pros on the defensive side of the ball. Hamilton outshined them all.

And with match-coverage concepts taking over, safety will no longer be some throw-away position in the draft or free agency.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the games that are left I think we wind up with 12, 15 and 19. Far enough back to make Hamilton / Hutchinson out of the question - but also down to the area where the #3 QB would come off the board… ugh, that’s not great (Russell Wilson is starting to look better to me).

• Like 1

No chance we get this guy at this point unless someone posts a tiktok of him blazing with a gas mask on 5 minutes before the draft 

• Haha 3

Would be great if he fell to us outside the top 10.  We need a play maker on D, especially in the back 4.  The way the game is played today you need a S with very good range and ball skills.  A player like this can help the CBs be better.  Alas, I think our FO is too dumb to realize that.  We know that if it's between Hamilton and the DE from Purdue that they will go DE.  You can grab a DE just as good with the next couple picks, but you can't get another S like this one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

Would be great if he fell to us outside the top 10.  We need a play maker on D, especially in the back 4.  The way the game is played today you need a S with very good range and ball skills.  A player like this can help the CBs be better.  Alas, I think our FO is too dumb to realize that.  We know that if it's between Hamilton and the DE from Purdue that they will go DE.  You can grab a DE just as good with the next couple picks, but you can't get another S like this one.

I agree it would be great if he fell to us outside of the top 10 but there's no way he does. He's going top 5 I think. If I look back at some of the safeties picked inside the top 10 in the last few years and the impact they've had... And this guy is arguably better than any of them. 

Great talent and player, but the track record of bigger athletic freak safeties in the NFL is not good, as I said earlier.

Will be interesting to see how he does during combine testing and change of direction drills.

17 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I agree it would be great if he fell to us outside of the top 10 but there's no way he does. He's going top 5 I think. If I look back at some of the safeties picked inside the top 10 in the last few years and the impact they've had... And this guy is arguably better than any of them. 

He could fall to us at 21 (or whatever our last pick will end up being) and I highly doubt we’d take him.  Safety is just one of those positions that this regime doesn’t seem to prioritize when it comes to drafting.  When they do use a relatively high pick they usually blow it - (I believe the last rd 1 or 2 pick they hit on was Dawk in ‘96, but there hasn’t been many.  There has been what, 3 picks on S (all rd 2) since then?  Allen,  Jarrett, and Lewis.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

He could fall to us at 21 (or whatever our last pick will end up being) and I highly doubt we’d take him.  Safety is just one of those positions that this regime doesn’t seem to prioritize when it comes to drafting.  When they do use a relatively high pick they usually blow it - (I believe the last rd 1 or 2 pick they hit on was Dawk in ‘96, but there hasn’t been many.  There has been what, 3 picks on S (all rd 2) since then?  Allen,  Jarrett, and Lewis.  

Agree.  He's a pipe dream at this point.  This FO just doesn't value S or LB for some reason, which is weird because BDawk is an all-time Eagle great and should be a HOFer.  So just because since him they whiffed on drafting the position they're going to be gun shy or neglect it?  That's a piss poor approach.  I've said this many times here that a S with range and ball skills in today's NFL is a game changer.  It's what the game has evolved to.  However, we're talking about a FO that spent a 2nd Round pick on a backup QB they could have gotten a round later so being knee jerk seems to be their MO, so gun shy looks to be the answer.

• 2 months later...

Hamilton running a 4.59 is a blessing in disguise for the Eagles. Definitely plays faster on tape

1 hour ago, philafan4o8 said:

Hamilton running a 4.59 is a blessing in disguise for the Eagles. Definitely plays faster on tape

Agreed. There's a chance he could be available when we pick. Of course, if he can get under a 4.5 at his pro day that will make weary teams feel much better. 

6 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Agreed. There's a chance he could be available when we pick. Of course, if he can get under a 4.5 at his pro day that will make weary teams feel much better. 

Even if he is there I still can't see Howie taking a safety in the first. They don't value the position highly enough. I'd bet Howie trades back if he somehow is there at 15