Kyle Hamilton (Notre Dame S) -- DRAFTED BY BALTIMORE #14

Ewaeagle

Just now, justwinbaby said:

Even if he is there I still can't see Howie taking a safety in the first. They don't value the position highly enough. I'd bet Howie trades back if he somehow is there at 15

I'm not sure where you get that idea from. Roseman was here during much of Dawkins' best days. Malcom Jenkins was brought in later as a FA and extended until he became "unhappy." McLeod was brought in as a FA. Harris was brought in last year on a 1-year deal. The Eagles have almost always had 1 above average safety. 

We have 3 picks in the first round  this year if we want to use them. If a guy like Hamilton falls to us, it's a blessing as Safety is an area of concern. He's a difference maker at his position. I'm not sure what gives you the impression safety isn't valued here. Heck, they'd rather draft safeties as LB hybrids than actual LBs. 

2 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I'm not sure where you get that idea from. Roseman was here during much of Dawkins' best days. Malcom Jenkins was brought in later as a FA and extended until he became "unhappy." McLeod was brought in as a FA. Harris was brought in last year on a 1-year deal. The Eagles have almost always had 1 above average safety. 

We have 3 picks in the first round  this year if we want to use them. If a guy like Hamilton falls to us, it's a blessing as Safety is an area of concern. He's a difference maker at his position. I'm not sure what gives you the impression safety isn't valued here. Heck, they'd rather draft safeties as LB hybrids than actual LBs. 

Simmer man goodness. I'd love it if they took him just said I bet they won't. When was the last time they picked a safety in the 1st? That alone should tell you how much they value the safety position.

29 minutes ago, justwinbaby said:

Simmer man goodness. I'd love it if they took him just said I bet they won't. When was the last time they picked a safety in the 1st? That alone should tell you how much they value the safety position.

Normally I would agree with you that safety is not a valued in the Draft by Roseman but I think you are not factoring in that the eagles have three 1st rounders. If Hamilton is on the board at 15 then the Eagles snatch him in a heartbeat with #15 or #16

18 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Normally I would agree with you that safety is not a valued in the Draft by Roseman but I think you are not factoring in that the eagles have three 1st rounders. If Hamilton is on the board at 15 then the Eagles snatch him in a heartbeat with #15 or #16

I still think, even with three 1st rounders, that they would take multiple d-linemen, an o-lineman, a cb, another WR or trade back. History shows their philosophy in constructing a team and selecting a safety with a first would not be optimizing that pick's value. I think they will look at each of the 1's in a vacuum and say how can we get the most out of this pick? and to me that just will never be a safety. I don't believe that they view the position as being impactful enough to justify spending one of their 1's on the position even if they have multiple 1st. 

53 minutes ago, justwinbaby said:

I still think, even with three 1st rounders, that they would take multiple d-linemen, an o-lineman, a cb, another WR or trade back. History shows their philosophy in constructing a team and selecting a safety with a first would not be optimizing that pick's value. I think they will look at each of the 1's in a vacuum and say how can we get the most out of this pick? and to me that just will never be a safety. I don't believe that they view the position as being impactful enough to justify spending one of their 1's on the position even if they have multiple 1st. 

Agree to disagree. History shows what you are saying when they have 1 first rounder. There is no history with Howie having 3 first rounders

10 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Agree to disagree. History shows what you are saying when they have 1 first rounder. There is no history with Howie having 3 first rounders

No history to know either way. Let's hope you're right. Would be exciting. 

If Hamilton is there at our pick you have to take him. Don’t care what his 40 was he in a special player.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, justwinbaby said:

When was the last time they picked a safety in the 1st? That alone should tell you how much they value the safety position.

That is not the "tell-all" for value. When building a team, you have to consider the quality of the players you currently have at a position. So when it comes time to use draft picks, you weigh the team's need vs the quality of the players that are available when you pick. There's no doubt the Eagles believe in building in the trenches. There are 9 starting positions on the team across the offensive and defensive lines. There are only 2 starting positions at safety. In a typical year, a team has just one 1st round pick. Then, when it comes time to make the pick, you have to decide if the available player is a fit in your system. So there's always a good chance we choose a lineman with our 1st. But having three 1sts, allows us to get a lineman and players from other positions. 

The Eagles are currently in really good shape on the offensive line. We have a good mix of youth and veterans playing at high levels. We have versatility in most of those players. Our defensive line has more questions. So it appears likely we will draft a DL early. We'll have to see what happens early in free agency, but as of right now, both McLeod and Harris are FAs. If neither returns, Safety becomes a huge priority in the draft.

Back to your thought, though... When was the last time we used a 1st on a TE? Do you believe we don't value the TE position? 

34 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

That is not the "tell-all" for value. When building a team, you have to consider the quality of the players you currently have at a position. So when it comes time to use draft picks, you weigh the team's need vs the quality of the players that are available when you pick. There's no doubt the Eagles believe in building in the trenches. There are 9 starting positions on the team across the offensive and defensive lines. There are only 2 starting positions at safety. In a typical year, a team has just one 1st round pick. Then, when it comes time to make the pick, you have to decide if the available player is a fit in your system. So there's always a good chance we choose a lineman with our 1st. But having three 1sts, allows us to get a lineman and players from other positions. 

The Eagles are currently in really good shape on the offensive line. We have a good mix of youth and veterans playing at high levels. We have versatility in most of those players. Our defensive line has more questions. So it appears likely we will draft a DL early. We'll have to see what happens early in free agency, but as of right now, both McLeod and Harris are FAs. If neither returns, Safety becomes a huge priority in the draft.

Back to your thought, though... When was the last time we used a 1st on a TE? Do you believe we don't value the TE position? 

I didn't say it was a "tell-all" and I understand all of what you're trying to say. Like i said, I think they will look at each of the 1s as if they are the only first they have (in a vacuum) and ask themselves how they can get the most out of the pick? I think they would instead spend money on mid tier Safeties in free agency to fill most of the holes so they aren't pressured to pick a position out of necessity. Then spend at the very most a 2nd or 3rd on a safety where they can still get good value. You clearly have your opinion about this and I respect that. Maybe Howie agrees and they change things up, but until he does..

i remember thinking years ago we traded up for earl thomas only to take brandon graham the board went nutz… i think hamilton can be that good and i had seen him projected top 5 and even some viewing him as the top prospect in the draft.. if he is there or gets close you have to pull the trigger. 

damn the 40. Football IQ and Instincts is what we need in the secondary

ed reed.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

damn the 40. Football IQ and Instincts is what we need in the secondary

ed reed.jpg

The kids a play maker. Just go get him. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The kids a play maker. Just go get him. 

seen a report with concerns he might need to move to lb in the nfl i don’t think that’s the case atleast for several years till he is older we could sure you a stud safety 

53 minutes ago, Cheesteakitis said:

seen a report with concerns he might need to move to lb in the nfl i don’t think that’s the case atleast for several years till he is older we could sure you a stud safety 

He will not need to move to LB. His instincts and football IQ will keep him at safety for his whole career.\

We've seen him make plays from centerfield to the sideline... a 40 isn't going to change that.

• Like 1

The whole 40 time thing has been so overblown. Do you want guys who can play fast? Absolutely but play fast doesn't mean run fast. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We've been one of those teams that haven't valued the position, at least in the draft as we did sign FAs in Jenkins and McLeod and reportedly were trying to get Williams from NO.  So though it's been our MO to not draft either Ss or LBs in R1 then you have to wonder if Hamilton falls to us do the Eagles draft him?  If they were trying to sign Williams then it shows they want a playmaker at S and Hamilton is that. 

When we've got 3 picks in the 1st Round, Hamilton is right at the top of the list of guys I'd like to see us draft.  Him plus one of the top CBs and we'd have the back end solidified.

Ya I never got the reason why Hamilton was a top 5 consensus in the media. There are numerous safety prospects in the last 2 decades that were better prospects and were not top 5 or even top 10. 

The fascination with Drake London confuses me as well.

On 3/8/2022 at 11:40 AM, ilikepargo said:

Dawk ran 4.61.

At 6’ - 210 lbs…

Hamilton ran 4.59  at 6’4” 220lbs. I’ll take him based on the game production.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MidMoFo said:

At 6’ - 210 lbs…

Hamilton ran 4.59  at 6’4” 220lbs. I’ll take him based on the game production.

Hamilton definitely feels like one of those guys who's falling due to how he tested... I think that's movement based on fans and mock analysts though not necessarily the teams. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hamilton definitely feels like one of those guys who's falling due to how he tested... I think that's movement based on fans and mock analysts though not necessarily the teams. 

I think he started high because of mock analyst and fans, he’s dropping because teams don’t value Saftey as a top 10 pick AND the combine numbers.

Nightmare scenario: He keeps falling through picks, I get ecstatic he’s there at 15, Howie takes someone with other question marks, someone else takes him after us and he becomes the star we’re all anticipating him to be…

7 hours ago, MidMoFo said:

I think he started high because of mock analyst and fans, he’s dropping because teams don’t value Saftey as a top 10 pick AND the combine numbers.

I don't know about that... Adams went top 5? Hooker wasn't far off that? Safeties have just been paid very very nicely in FA.