Kyle Hamilton (Notre Dame S) -- DRAFTED BY BALTIMORE #14

Ewaeagle

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't know about that... Adams went top 5? Hooker wasn't far off that? Safeties have just been paid very very nicely in FA.

Hamilton might fall out of the top 10 entirely after running a 4,72 at the combine.

Plus agreed with @MidMoFo most teams don’t view safety as a premium position.

I don’t think it will happen but Hamilton just might be within reach for the Eagles.

Question is if Howie will trade up for him if he’d be available at 11, 12 or 13? I guess not. Eagles taking a safety in the first...probably not happening...ever.

52 minutes ago, Walkdawalk said:

Gives me Taylor Mays vibes 

? He's not remotely similar to Mays

52 minutes ago, bitbased said:

? He's not remotely similar to Mays

I meant in terms of Hype before draft then not being nearly as good as people thought they would be...Mays was slated to go top 10 as well 

• 3 weeks later...

Is there much information on his knee injury?  There seem to be reports that it was speculated to be everything from a sprained mcl to "pinched fat.”  If it was a real injury, and nit an excuse to stay healthy for the draft, maybe it affected his 40 time or possibly could have cost him a little speed longer term  

On 3/31/2022 at 1:10 PM, Ray75 said:

Hamilton might fall out of the top 10 entirely after running a 4,72 at the combine.

Plus agreed with @MidMoFo most teams don’t view safety as a premium position.

I don’t think it will happen but Hamilton just might be within reach for the Eagles.

Question is if Howie will trade up for him if he’d be available at 11, 12 or 13? I guess not. Eagles taking a safety in the first...probably not happening...ever.

When was the last time we used a 1st on a S?  People keep bringing up "haven't taken a LB in the 1st since 1979" ... that's nothing compared to S (we've never done that).  Now I don't think that completely rules out taking Hamilton if he falls to us ... Howie does seem to learn lessons from mistakes he's made (Smith, Reagor, etc.) - he might feel Hamilton is too good a prospect to pass on.  But I still think chances are slim ... much better chance at trading up for an edge rusher or DT (possibly CB) IMO.  

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

When was the last time we used a 1st on a S?  People keep bringing up "haven't taken a LB in the 1st since 1979" ... that's nothing compared to S (we've never done that).  Now I don't think that completely rules out taking Hamilton if he falls to us ... Howie does seem to learn lessons from mistakes he's made (Smith, Reagor, etc.) - he might feel Hamilton is too good a prospect to pass on.  But I still think chances are slim ... much better chance at trading up for an edge rusher or DT (possibly CB) IMO.  

1000 % agree.

In my final mock I had the Eagles trading up to #6 for Gardner giving up 15, 51 and either Dillard or #83/101. Panthers want to take a QB, at #6 might be too rich, they don’t own a 2nd and 3rd this year, Ruhle on the hot seat and they need a LT. Plausible right?!

The more realistic scenario would be that they trade up a couple of spots for either Johnson or Davis (the unicorn). Just giving up a 3rd rounder like they did last year.

Although I’d love Hamilton, can’t see Howie taking a safety that high anytime soon. Like you said (and I know their history), they’ve never taken a safety in the first but if there was ever a time to do it, it might be this year with Hamilton probably slipping. Still...likely not gonna happen.

• Like 2

I will never understand the philosophy that Safety isn't a valuable position.  The Eagles either feel that way, or they just don't know how to recognize talent at that position in the draft.  

If the reports were true that Howie went hard after Marcus Williams (maybe Justin Reid too) and that they are "in contact with" Honey Badger -- which is shaping up to be "let's see where we are after the draft" -- it says that they do want to address this position in a meaningful way.  Would they take on in Round 1?  Maybe.  Will it be Hamilton?  Unlikely because I doubt they'd trade up for him.  If he's there at 15?  I could see it.

What will be interesting is what they might do at 18 in regards to this position.  Cine and Hill would be in play at that spot...or even trading back a little.  I think both Cine and Hill are worthy of 18.  If not, Brisker in Round 2 would be the one to watch.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

I will never understand the philosophy that Safety isn't a valuable position.  The Eagles either feel that way, or they just don't know how to recognize talent at that position in the draft.  

If the reports were true that Howie went hard after Marcus Williams (maybe Justin Reid too) and that they are "in contact with" Honey Badger -- which is shaping up to be "let's see where we are after the draft" -- it says that they do want to address this position in a meaningful way.  Would they take on in Round 1?  Maybe.  Will it be Hamilton?  Unlikely because I doubt they'd trade up for him.  If he's there at 15?  I could see it.

What will be interesting is what they might do at 18 in regards to this position.  Cine and Hill would be in play at that spot...or even trading back a little.  I think both Cine and Hill are worthy of 18.  If not, Brisker in Round 2 would be the one to watch.

Cine and Hill are definitely worthy of a first round selection. I do think it’s more likely they’ll address the position in the 2nd or 3rd round with a guy like Brisker, Pitre, Joseph or Cross.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

One thing I like to do to really observe how much a position is helping their team win is to count the rings on the players at that position who were the NFL’s absolute best over the last 25 years (post-free Agency effect). For instance:

Andre Johnson: 0

Calvin Johnson: 0

Terrell Owens: 0

Larry Fitzgerald: 0

Steve Smith: 0

Marvin Harrison: 1

Davante Adams: 0

Deandre Hopkins: 0

Wes Weller: 0

Randy Moss: 0

Julio Jones: 0

Jimmy Smith: 0

Warren Sapp: 1

Fletcher Cox: 1

Vince Wolfork: 2

Aaron Donald: 1

LaRoi Glover: 0

Ndamukong Suh: 1

Chris Jones: 1

Vita Vea: 1

Kevin Williams: 0

Casey Hampton: 2

Sam Adams: 1

Adrian Peterson: 0

Ladainian Tomlinson: 0

Demarco Murray: 0

Ezekiel Elliot: 0

Derrick Henry: 0

Arian Foster: 0

Lesean McCoy: 2 (both as a reserve)

Shaun Alexander: 0

Priest Holmes: 0

Marshawn Lynch: 1

Edgerrin James: 0

Now Let’s try safety:

Troy Polamalu: 2

Bob Sanders: 1

Ed Reed: 1

Malcolm Jenkins: 2

Earl Thomas: 1

Rodney Harrison: 2

Devin Mccourty: 3

Tyrann Mathieu: 1

John Lynch: 1

Cam Chancellor: 1

Steve Atwater: 2

Rod Woodson: 1

Lawyer Milloy: 1

Antrel Rolle: 1

Brian Dawkins: 0

TJ Ward 1

It’s not perfect, but it tells a pretty neat story.

• Like 3

I'm not really sure why we continue to overlook the S position. Jenkins played a huge role in our SB success and was a fantastic player for us. Dawk is one of the fans favourite players and enjoyed relative success. S is an impact position for sure. 

Why is he slipping down the board now?  He'd be a great pickup for us.  

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not really sure why we continue to overlook the S position. Jenkins played a huge role in our SB success and was a fantastic player for us. Dawk is one of the fans favourite players and enjoyed relative success. S is an impact position for sure. 

Safety has been a position where you could typically find a quality FA w/o breaking the bank (is the Honey Badger still out there?). Recently, the salaries have started to escalate but more importantly we’ve painted ourselves into a corner capwise so we’ve been stuck in the bargain bin. Signing Jenkins and McLeod a few years back was fine alternative to rolling the dice on the draft. Now since we aren’t really contending, have the draft capital and need to get back on track financially, I just wouldn’t understand relegating S to day 3 or passing on an obvious BPA at that position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Why is he slipping down the board now?  He'd be a great pickup for us.  

The only reason why I've heard him slipping was because of his slow 40. The only other reason is because of other players moving up ahead of him in the draft. Stingley's pro day may have moved him back into the Top 10 and then you have all the QB speculation too.

• Like 1

If you had to guess which player might end up as DROY this year, this guy is on the short list.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 12:00 PM, ilikepargo said:

If you had to guess which player might end up as DROY this year, this guy is on the short list.

NO

Size, length, athleticism, instincts...  Some overreact to his 40 at the combine, but in actual games he shows solid speed.  He's good in coverage.  He has good closing speed.  He hits and tackles well.  He's big enough to cover TEs.  He can blitz.

He's the best safety in this class and one of the best players overall.

I doubt we'll get him, but if we do, he can be a serious difference-making upgrade for us.

5 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

Size, length, athleticism, instincts...  Some overreact to his 40 at the combine, but in actual games he shows solid speed.  He's good in coverage.  He has good closing speed.  He hits and tackles well.  He's big enough to cover TEs.  He can blitz.

He's the best safety in this class and one of the best players overall.

I doubt we'll get him, but if we do, he can be a serious difference-making upgrade for us.

Not seeing any of that translate to the nfl except the tackling but guess we will find out eventually. 

A lot of this feels like 'the guy ran a slow 40 so I'm going to find other reasons to hate on him so it doesn't look like I'm just reacting to 40'.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pgcd3 said:

A lot of this feels like 'the guy ran a slow 40 so I'm going to find other reasons to hate on him so it doesn't look like I'm just reacting to 40'.

Anyone able to deep fake a gas mask video of Hamilton and maybe Travon Walker or Thibodeax?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't think we'll actually get Sauce or Hamilton (My two most wished-for guys in this draft).  But I wish we could.  Either or both would make this team better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MidMoFo said:

Anyone able to deep fake a gas mask video of Hamilton and maybe Travon Walker or Thibodeax?

image.png.118fd5516549c34a660883229c599ba9.png

Close enough lol

• Haha 3

On 4/24/2022 at 6:41 PM, pgcd3 said:

On 4/24/2022 at 9:34 PM, ilikepargo said:

I don't think we'll actually get Sauce or Hamilton (My two most wished-for guys in this draft).  But I wish we could.  Either or both would make this team better.

I think we have a shot at Hamilton. I'm hoping Howie pulls the trigger if he has an opportunity to use a 3rd to go and get him.

15 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I think we have a shot at Hamilton. I'm hoping Howie pulls the trigger if he has an opportunity to use a 3rd to go and get him.

This is the team that had Dawkins - a big Safety who could cover, play the run, blitz...  You'd like to think that a team that had actually experienced a player like that would be able to value a Safety who has skill-sets that lean in that direction.  Not that Hamilton is Dawkins.  No one who isn't Dawkins is Dawkins.  But Hamilton has size, vision, movement...  He can be moved around, as Dawkins was.  He made his defense dramatically better, and I think he'll do the same for whatever team actually drafts him.  I think he'll end up as one of the top players to come out of this draft.