Positive things, week 7

Traveler Vic

Best positive is they lost again and they crept even closer to being eliminated from playing off contention already. They’ll be out of it by week 10 and can just think draft position.

14 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Boston Scott seeing the field is not a positive.   They did show a greater commitment to the run with Sander before his injury, but then when he got hurt, we saw that Scott couldn't do much... which is usually the case, until he matches up against New York.  He'll get two big games this year again against the Gints and maybe even a 3rd against the Jets... other than that, he'll keep being the JAG he's always been.

Not much fan of Scott? LOL. His production , or lack of it can be squarely attributed on offensive line woes. It was to be the strength of this team in preseason?!!!!???! Not recently. 

12 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I get where you’re coming from, but if you’re going to say Gannon wasn’t give they players to run the system he wants to run (and I agree with that) then he should be smart enough not to keep doing the same thing and expecting different results. 

The only alternative to improve, is to start mixing coverages, and introduce some more creative random blitz packages. At first  ...I did not think that defensive players learned Gannon's system yet...But by now...Despite lack of elite talent...I say they had enough time to learn on the job. If I do not see any blitzes and more aggressiveness from the defense...in the next few games..my opinion of Gannon and his system will be dropping significantly. This year we are down and out. There is no possibility to be seriously competitive, and nothing to save blitz packages for. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Traveler Vic said:

The only alternative to improve, is to start mixing coverages, and introduce some more creative random blitz packages. At first  ...I did not think that defensive players learned Gannon's system yet...But by now...Despite lack of elite talent...I say they had enough time to learn on the job. If I do not see any blitzes and more aggressiveness from the defense...in the next few games..my opinion of Gannon and his system will be dropping significantly. This year we are down and out. There is no possibility to be seriously competitive, and nothing to save blitz packages for. 

Gannon came from the Vikings and that squad  has invested in playmakers at the linebacker position. They have talent there. The Eagles have mostly neglected the position. It’s time to change things up and attack the LOS. It’s not all on Gannon either. The front line short of Hargrave has been a disaster. The Safeties aren’t good enough. Slay has been up and down. The linebackers are just terrible. They are running a system that is supposed to let linebackers run sideline to sideline, but they simply aren’t good enough for that type of workload. It’s time to make changes and take more risks. Right now it just looks like seven on seven drills.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Gannon came from the Vikings and that squad  has invested in playmakers at the linebacker position. They have talent there. The Eagles have mostly neglected the position. It’s time to change things up and attack the LOS. It’s not all on Gannon either. The front line short of Hargrave has been a disaster. The Safeties aren’t good enough. Slay has been up and down. The linebackers are just terrible. They are running a system that is supposed to let linebackers run sideline to sideline, but they simply aren’t good enough for that type of workload. It’s time to make changes and take more risks. Right now it just looks like seven on seven drills.

You are preaching to the choir. Could not agree with you more.

Dissing the linebacker position goes back to the Andy Reid days (contrary to some of the JJ lore above). The strategy made sense to me at the time. But now that the run is less of a threat in the NFL, it might make sense to invest a little more in a couple of elite coverage linebackers who are also stout against the run. The 3-3-5 might be the base D of the future, with the 3-2-6 being the new nickel, with the interior pass rush generated by clever blitzing. 

8 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Not much fan of Scott? LOL. His production , or lack of it can be squarely attributed on offensive line woes. It was to be the strength of this team in preseason?!!!!???! Not recently. 

It was the same OL for Scott as it was for Sanders.  Sanders seemed to have no problem getting nice chunks of yards.   And the OL has been fine.  The QB is running into pressure more frequently than he is running from it.  

As for Scott... against any opponent not from NY his numbers show he's a JAG... and undersized, not overly shifty, not overly fast, JAG.  Against the Giants though, he turns into Brian Westbrook.  

On 10/25/2021 at 4:48 AM, Traveler Vic said:

I am talking about Commitment to the run. I am talking about seeing Boston Scott taking the field probably for the first time this season.

To me this is not just a mere RB substitution for an injured Sanders, but a change of philosophy, that was not previously working.

It may be little steps,  but steps in the right direction. Siri is learning on the job.

It will be a long season, so noticing the little positive things ..gives me some hope for the future.

😴😴😴