GDT: Philadelphia Eagles @ Denver Broncos, 11-14-21 4:25PM EST

EagleJoe8

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

I agree. When Miles comes back, I want to see Howard and him as 1a/1b with Scott mixing in here and there as a change up and Gainwell being in there for obvious passing downs. Get rid of one of our 8 LBers of which only 2-3 are viable NFL players. Our oline is built to get to the 2nd level and run block. Mailata and Dickerson is a lot of beef to run behind. This team has finally found its identity, and I’m enjoying the show. 

Any news on Goedert?

You mean 8 CBs? That's the position we are loaded on numbers. Most are young guys (3 rookies) but they could probably lose one and try to squeeze that guy onto the PS. Not the Eagles style but could also go lighter on QB with 2.

We are down to 6 LBs with Erik Wilson gone (Edwards, Taylor, Singleton, Bradley, Johnson, Avery)

4 minutes ago, kiwieagle said:

You mean 8 CBs? That's the position we are loaded on numbers. Most are young guys (3 rookies) but they could probably lose one and try to squeeze that guy onto the PS. Not the Eagles style but could also go lighter on QB with 2.

We are down to 6 LBs with Erik Wilson gone (Edwards, Taylor, Singleton, Bradley, Johnson, Avery)

Definitely miscounted or looked at the wrong position. Point still stands. Lol

3 hours ago, Swoop said:

He ran the ball 14 times today. He should not be taking off that much and it would be ludicrous to have him run 15-20 times a game. He's a quarterback, not a running back. That's a good way to get him injured.

As for your last point, who said he needs to be perfect? Who said it was necessary? Asking for consistency is demanding perfection?

And please, Mahomes and Hurts don't belong in the same sentence. Mahomes is an MVP and Super Bowl winner. At the rate he's going, a Hall of Famer. Him missing some throws isn't comparable to what Hurts misses in any capacity.

QBs get hurt in the pocket a lot,  getting sacked when trying to throw the football.   Throwing passes gets QBs hurt, don't do that as much.

Hurts has been consistent.  Every game he throws some passes,  every game there are some complete passes and some incomplete passes.  The numbers aren't always the same every game, sometimes it's better than others,  but he's playing a different quality of defense every week.  Can't really tell if the variation from week to week is due to Hurts, other Eagles, or the quality of defenses.

46 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

QBs get hurt in the pocket a lot,  getting sacked when trying to throw the football.   Throwing passes gets QBs hurt, don't do that as much.

Hurts has been consistent.  Every game he throws some passes,  every game there are some complete passes and some incomplete passes.  The numbers aren't always the same every game, sometimes it's better than others,  but he's playing a different quality of defense every week.  Can't really tell if the variation from week to week is due to Hurts, other Eagles, or the quality of defenses.

Please.

Hurts is a keeper and he begins to evolve his QB skills. The pick was a little out character, but a great game overall against a winning team. The cup is half Full and another W.

8 hours ago, toolg said:

That’s good. I wondered why he was wearing it… It didn’t seem to hinder him any. 

He should wear it every week!

6 hours ago, Portyansky said:

I believe out of those 14.... 6 were just him running away from pressure. 

Not sure about the exact number, but sounds about right. There's nothing wrong with him making use of his legs in some situations. There is something wrong if he becomes too reliant on them. 

Now we have people calling for even more runs. You'd have to take him escaping pressure into account too and it becomes a problem. A quarterback should not be running 20 times a game and it's a red flag if they are.

Balance is key.

Darius Slay traveled 128.9 yards in total distance on his scoop-and-score touchdown, the 2nd-most by a ball carrier on a TD from scrimmage since 2016.
The Eagles win probability increased from 68% to 91% as a result of the play.

Denver fans intimidated in their own home.... look at their body language and faces. Pucker up, Denver fans, and NOT your lips. 🤣

Sad Denver Fans.png

17 hours ago, Swoop said:

He ran the ball 14 times today. He should not be taking off that much and it would be ludicrous to have him run 15-20 times a game. He's a quarterback, not a running back. That's a good way to get him injured.

As for your last point, who said he needs to be perfect? Who said it was necessary? Asking for consistency is demanding perfection?

And please, Mahomes and Hurts don't belong in the same sentence. Mahomes is an MVP and Super Bowl winner. At the rate he's going, a Hall of Famer. Him missing some throws isn't comparable to what Hurts misses in any capacity.

16 hours ago, Portyansky said:

I believe out of those 14.... 6 were just him running away from pressure. 

And also 3 were kneel downs, so it's not nearly as bad as it seems. I think Hurts generally runs pretty sensibly. He doesn't usually go for head on collisions and slides and gets out of bounds a reasonable amount. I remember as a kid Cunningham getting hurt in the pocket rather than when running.

With that being said, I agree we don't want him running too much. 4-5 designed runs/options and 4-5 scrambles a game seems a pretty good balance to me.

16 hours ago, Talonblood said:

Look at all these Eagles fans in Denver... freekin awesome!

Eagle Nation. Ton of fans in others states. Great showing by the Eagles.  Hopefully cam string up more second half of the season. Howard has to stay in once Sanders gets back. Was combo I wanted going into the season...

21 hours ago, proveagle said:

This is the key.  Roll with Hurts and build around him until you have to pay him the big fat cap killing QB deal.  Hopefully he matures by that point and is worth the deal to sign long-term.  If not, that is the time to find a new QB.  Can't afford in this league to sink huge contracts into guys that aren't franchise players.

yeah, that sounds right. 

If there was some magic way for NFL teams to pay their QB a small amount more than what another team team would pay him,   that would be great,  there would be no problem. 

But for some reason, that never happens.  You're expected to pay your QB as much as all the other "franchise" QBs that were getting signed to their 2nd contract by other teams at the same time.  If you're keeping him,  he must be a "franchise QB",  and since other franchise QBs are getting paid 40 Million, pay him what they get paid, 40 million.  If you don't think he's a franchise QB,  let him go.

What if you are the Eagles and you don't think that any other team is going to pay Jalen Hurts anywhere near a franchise QB 40 Million?   Why do you have to pretend that Hurts needs to get franchise QB money to stay an Eagle? 

I would want to keep Hurts after his 4 years on the cheap rookie contract are up.   But I'd much rather pay him a little more than what other teams would be willing to pay him.    If I'm working for the Eagles,  the Eagles are smart.   The Eagles understand that some team will have a serious problem with their fans if they try to bring in a running QB with used legs at 40 Million a year.   Coaches don't want running QBs, really,  Front Offices are more interested in them than the coaches are.

Marcus Mariota was the 2nd pick in the draft.   The Titans never really wanted him to run a whole ton, but his rushing numbers were bottom of the top tier,  top of the second.   And his speed coming out of the draft was better than Jalen Hurts.   4.52 40 for Mariota,  4.59 for Hurts.  Mariota played out his contract with the Titans, and the Titans let him go.  He took the Titans to the playoffs, he won a playoff game.  his first year winning percentage - 3-9,  was the same as Jalens.   Then the next 3 years,  he had a winning record,  his 5th year, he started bad, had a losing record, and replaced by Tannehill.   Great speed,  winning record 3 of 5 years.  a playoff win.    And the point is, he wasn't given franchise QB money for that.  He went to the Raiders and he isn't getting paid franchise QB money.  Mariota is getting 3.5 million this year as a backup for the Raiders.   He's 28.

I would like to pay Hurts 2 Million more a year than what I think another team would pay him.  I'd keep him as a starter in that 10-20 Million range.  Or I wouldn't, and he wouldn't be the starter.  Ideally, I pay him 10 Million a year for 4 years,  and he becomes a versatile superweapon,  fully capable of playing QB well and also a solid running back.  He has the size and speed.  Often you see Hurts running outside, right, and then either throwing the ball or running the ball.   A running back could do exactly that, and if the running back was as good a thrower and runner,  that would be a difficult weapon.   Assuming Tyree Jackson works out, he could be there as a TE/QB.  Greg Ward Jr.   Could draft Willis Liberty,  King Miami,  Jones, Florida,  and get them doing 2 things.  You put yourself in a position where it certainly would be nice to have Hurts there as a hybrid QB/RB, perhaps the starter, at 10 M a year,  but it isn't absolutely necessary because the Eagles have many of them. 

14 hours ago, Swoop said:

Not sure about the exact number, but sounds about right. There's nothing wrong with him making use of his legs in some situations. There is something wrong if he becomes too reliant on them. 

Now we have people calling for even more runs. You'd have to take him escaping pressure into account too and it becomes a problem. A quarterback should not be running 20 times a game and it's a red flag if they are.

Balance is key.

I see no problem with Jalen Hurts running a whole lot if it leads to wins.

It's quite amazing that it's the same people who don't want to see the QB run much are the people who want to get rid of that great running QB.

The Eagles could spend some time,  now, or maybe in the offseason,  designing running plays for Jalen Hurts or another running QB.   The read option is great,  tried and true,  all the teams who have their QB run a lot do that, but there are a number of other run plays for QBs to do.  How about the Packer Sweep, but with an extra blocker?  Instead of Bart Starr handing off to running back,  you have Hurts as the running back and a 6th OL out there somewhere making that seal.

Alternatively,  you have Jalen Hurts out there and another player very similar to Jalen Hurts out there, each is throwing and running.  That way,  Hurts doesn't have a large number of runs.  

4 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

I see no problem with Jalen Hurts running a whole lot if it leads to wins.

It's quite amazing that it's the same people who don't want to see the QB run much are the people who want to get rid of that great running QB.

The Eagles could spend some time,  now, or maybe in the offseason,  designing running plays for Jalen Hurts or another running QB.   The read option is great,  tried and true,  all the teams who have their QB run a lot do that, but there are a number of other run plays for QBs to do.  How about the Packer Sweep, but with an extra blocker?  Instead of Bart Starr handing off to running back,  you have Hurts as the running back and a 6th OL out there somewhere making that seal.

Alternatively,  you have Jalen Hurts out there and another player very similar to Jalen Hurts out there, each is throwing and running.  That way,  Hurts doesn't have a large number of runs.  

Curious, which QBs other than Lamar run anywhere near the amount that Hurts does and is successful? What QBs have ever run that much and consistently got far in the playoffs/won a SB?

Further, your solution is to have Jalen Hurts and a gadget player that also takes snaps throwing the football?

Thank goodness you aren't the GM.

1 hour ago, Swoop said:

Curious, which QBs other than Lamar run anywhere near the amount that Hurts does and is successful? What QBs have ever run that much and consistently got far in the playoffs/won a SB?

Further, your solution is to have Jalen Hurts and a gadget player that also takes snaps throwing the football?

Thank goodness you aren't the GM.

What QBs have run as often as Lamar or Hurts - and didn't do well?

Hurts is rare in that he has the right size to run often.  He's not likely as fast as Lamar,  but his height and weight - 6'1 222 - are running back numbers, and his 40 time - 4.59 is the number of a 222 pound running back.   What you have with a number of QBs with speed is a size that is a little too light or a little too tall to have him run a lot.

It's hard to find lists of QBs top rushing yards seasons.   Lamar is 1 Vick is 2 Lamar is 3.  Only Lamar and Vick have done 1000 in a season, and it's quite plausible that Hurts could break 1000 this season.  The top rushers have success.

How many first round draft pick QBs who don't run great fail?   Most of them.   The best runners are Lamar,  Hurts, Kyler Murray, Josh Allen - of the recently drafted QBs and those are all playing well.    Josh Rosen,  Dwayne Haskins, Sam Darnold - all first round picks from the same time period,  not good runners,  mostly pure failures.

I would want to put college QBs out there,  QBs with superior athleticism who can play more than one position.   The Eagles have 3 of them on the roster right now, and probably should add one or more who can do the QB/throwing part well enough.   It seems much more threatening to a defense when you have 11 players and 2 throwers as opposed to the typical 10 players and 1 thrower.

7 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

Hurts is rare in that he has the right size to run often.  He's not likely as fast as Lamar,  but his height and weight - 6'1 222 - are running back numbers, and his 40 time - 4.59 is the number of a 222 pound running back

And he's generally smart too. He's got that size and power but he will get out of bounds and he will slide or get down. But if the situation calls for it he will also try to make a play for his team. I think he should get a lot of credit for that to be honest. 

14 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

What QBs have run as often as Lamar or Hurts - and didn't do well?

Hurts is rare in that he has the right size to run often.  He's not likely as fast as Lamar,  but his height and weight - 6'1 222 - are running back numbers, and his 40 time - 4.59 is the number of a 222 pound running back.   What you have with a number of QBs with speed is a size that is a little too light or a little too tall to have him run a lot.

It's hard to find lists of QBs top rushing yards seasons.   Lamar is 1 Vick is 2 Lamar is 3.  Only Lamar and Vick have done 1000 in a season, and it's quite plausible that Hurts could break 1000 this season.  The top rushers have success.

How many first round draft pick QBs who don't run great fail?   Most of them.   The best runners are Lamar,  Hurts, Kyler Murray, Josh Allen - of the recently drafted QBs and those are all playing well.    Josh Rosen,  Dwayne Haskins, Sam Darnold - all first round picks from the same time period,  not good runners,  mostly pure failures.

I would want to put college QBs out there,  QBs with superior athleticism who can play more than one position.   The Eagles have 3 of them on the roster right now, and probably should add one or more who can do the QB/throwing part well enough.   It seems much more threatening to a defense when you have 11 players and 2 throwers as opposed to the typical 10 players and 1 thrower.

Running QBs, particularly ones that run as often as Vick, Lamar, etc do have never won anything. In part because it's outside the norm, in part because it's infinitely easier to shut down in the playoffs against better teams.

As for the bold, I sincerely don't know if you truly believe that or if you're simply being a troll. You don't take your QB off the field to get a gadget player on the field regularly, because you regularly will throw your QB off. Sure we had Hill come in here and there for Brees, at the end of his career, but it was never as often as you seem to be implying. If you mean to have both on the field and run some type of wildcat offense, that's even worse. 

Both monumentally foolish.

16 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

yeah, that sounds right. 

If there was some magic way for NFL teams to pay their QB a small amount more than what another team team would pay him,   that would be great,  there would be no problem. 

But for some reason, that never happens.  You're expected to pay your QB as much as all the other "franchise" QBs that were getting signed to their 2nd contract by other teams at the same time.  If you're keeping him,  he must be a "franchise QB",  and since other franchise QBs are getting paid 40 Million, pay him what they get paid, 40 million.  If you don't think he's a franchise QB,  let him go.

What if you are the Eagles and you don't think that any other team is going to pay Jalen Hurts anywhere near a franchise QB 40 Million?   Why do you have to pretend that Hurts needs to get franchise QB money to stay an Eagle? 

I would want to keep Hurts after his 4 years on the cheap rookie contract are up.   But I'd much rather pay him a little more than what other teams would be willing to pay him.    If I'm working for the Eagles,  the Eagles are smart.   The Eagles understand that some team will have a serious problem with their fans if they try to bring in a running QB with used legs at 40 Million a year.   Coaches don't want running QBs, really,  Front Offices are more interested in them than the coaches are.

Marcus Mariota was the 2nd pick in the draft.   The Titans never really wanted him to run a whole ton, but his rushing numbers were bottom of the top tier,  top of the second.   And his speed coming out of the draft was better than Jalen Hurts.   4.52 40 for Mariota,  4.59 for Hurts.  Mariota played out his contract with the Titans, and the Titans let him go.  He took the Titans to the playoffs, he won a playoff game.  his first year winning percentage - 3-9,  was the same as Jalens.   Then the next 3 years,  he had a winning record,  his 5th year, he started bad, had a losing record, and replaced by Tannehill.   Great speed,  winning record 3 of 5 years.  a playoff win.    And the point is, he wasn't given franchise QB money for that.  He went to the Raiders and he isn't getting paid franchise QB money.  Mariota is getting 3.5 million this year as a backup for the Raiders.   He's 28.

I would like to pay Hurts 2 Million more a year than what I think another team would pay him.  I'd keep him as a starter in that 10-20 Million range.  Or I wouldn't, and he wouldn't be the starter.  Ideally, I pay him 10 Million a year for 4 years,  and he becomes a versatile superweapon,  fully capable of playing QB well and also a solid running back.  He has the size and speed.  Often you see Hurts running outside, right, and then either throwing the ball or running the ball.   A running back could do exactly that, and if the running back was as good a thrower and runner,  that would be a difficult weapon.   Assuming Tyree Jackson works out, he could be there as a TE/QB.  Greg Ward Jr.   Could draft Willis Liberty,  King Miami,  Jones, Florida,  and get them doing 2 things.  You put yourself in a position where it certainly would be nice to have Hurts there as a hybrid QB/RB, perhaps the starter, at 10 M a year,  but it isn't absolutely necessary because the Eagles have many of them. 

By the time that contract is up, 40M$ will look like a steal for a franchise QB.

14 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

I would want to put college QBs out there,  QBs with superior athleticism who can play more than one position. 

How come your super weapon Tyree Jackson couldn't even get a target on his 27 snaps ??

58 minutes ago, downundermike said:

How come your super weapon Tyree Jackson couldn't even get a target on his 27 snaps ??

Super weaaaappponnnzzzzz!! 

Screenshot_20211116-125507.png

On 11/14/2021 at 7:24 PM, ThinkGreen said:

the last two games have been fun to watch

Really?  I didn't have fun watching us play prevent D against the Chargers all game last week. 

On 11/14/2021 at 7:29 PM, Dawkamania06 said:

I wish they would just put him on IR for the rest of the season. When he comes back they have to deactivate either Scott or Howard right? 

Hopefully not, I'd rather them go 3 headed monster but they're probably not gonna do it. 

On 11/14/2021 at 7:53 PM, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles didn’t get their 4th win of the season last year until week 14. That was also the last time they won a home game too. 

They were giving the Eagles the business today. 

For sure, although the Chiefs and Bucs games were worse. 

23 hours ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

For sure, although the Chiefs and Bucs games were worse. 

I don’t normally get into it about the refs, but this one sure felt blatantly one sided. 7-89 Eagles 4-29 Broncos and they actually picked up a flag originally called against the Broncos. 

Archived