Jason Peters Returning?

EazyEaglez

So it’s starting to sound like the Eagles will bring back Jason Peters for another season. The coach told us he wanted him back months ago, but with the drafting of Dillard it didn’t seem likely, but according to Derrick Gunn the two sides will eventually reunite. 

"I do know for a fact that Jason Peters wants to be in Philadelphia, the Eagles want Jason Peters here," Gunn said. "It’s only a matter of time before they get something done."

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-free-agency-report-jason-peters-re-signs-eagles

Derrick Gunn is also the one who reported the Eagles were shopping Dillard at the draft. "According to NBC Sports Philadelphia’s Derrick Gunn, the Eagles dangled Dillard to multiple teams in trade talks in recent weeks. This decision came just months after Philadelphia parted ways with offensive tackle Jason Peters, a leader in their locker room who had been with the Eagles since 2009. Many assumed Philly made the move feeling confident that Dillard would be ready to step in at left tackle next season.” 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/Sports/nfl/eagles-have-reportedly-shopped-2019-first-round-pick-andre-dillard/ar-BB139yv1?ocid=a2hs

So it would see that if the Eagles do bring back Peters for another season then they’re not confident enough in Dillard to take over the starting role at tackle yet. Peters probably has realized that his value around the league isn’t nearly what it used to be so for the right price he could be back. If he is back then it’s hard to view Dillard’s development as a positive at this point.

I've been expecting him to re-sign, kind of like how I expected Clement to be back. 

There are only 2 ways this makes sense, as I see it:

1) Eagles know how important a backup LT is, and JP is the best fit there is on the market for that role.

2) Dillard is not who we thought he was going to be, as a result Eagles are bringing JP in to start.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2020 at 2:35 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I've been expecting him to re-sign, kind of like how I expected Clement to be back. 

Clement I understand, but Peters seems to go against everything Howie mentioned about getting younger and being less injured. Not to mention that Peters had moments  he didn’t look good last season. 

• Like 3

If Peters does re-sign, then we really should just keep trading all our draft picks for proven vets, because we aren't going to be drafting anyone to help us win.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, D-Shiznit said:

1) Eagles know how important a backup LT is, and JP is the best fit there is on the market for that role.

2) Dillard is not how we thought he was going to be, as a result Eagles are bringing JP in to start.

Maybe it’s a sign the Eagles don’t think Dillard is ready? I tell that is a shock considering the virus has kept most interactions low and there’s no chance we see OTAs and we might not even get training camps, but the Eagles already are thinking Dillard isn’t ready. 

Our depth at tackle is pretty weak right now. I’m kinda surprised we didn’t bring another vet in/ use a higher pick on one but you know.

10 minutes ago, Cheesteakitis said:

Our depth at tackle is pretty weak right now. I’m kinda surprised we didn’t bring another vet in/ use a higher pick on one but you know.

They had so many holes to try and fill they couldn’t get everyone of them in the draft. They did take some linemen though. Not sure how much they will be ready, but I think they’re happy with Pryor and it’s kind of a make or break year for the rugby player. 

37 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

2) Dillard is not who we thought he was going to be, as a result Eagles are bringing JP in to start.

2 feels likely. Why would they shop him on draft weekend if they thought he was a stud LT?

This would be the same mistake as signing Sproles last year. Love Peters, love Sproles but you have to know when to move on. Its that time. 

• Like 5

The Eagles need to find out if Dillard can play or not. Peters would have to be the back up. If Dillard becomes a revolving Door like Big V was then Peters can come in to replace him. I don't see him as a starter at this point.

30 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

The Eagles need to find out if Dillard can play or not. Peters would have to be the back up. If Dillard becomes a revolving Door like Big V was then Peters can come in to replace him. I don't see him as a starter at this point.

When Big V actually had time to practice and wasn’t just thrown into the fire he wasn’t that bad. Maybe the incident at RT for Dillard has really shaken their confidence in him.

• Like 1

the only way the team knows if dillard is the LT he was drafted to be is to play him for extended reps , filling in here and there isn't allowing the game to come to him and become our franchise LT.

• Like 1

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

When Big V actually had time to practice and wasn’t just thrown into the fire he wasn’t that bad. Maybe the incident at RT for Dillard has really shaken their confidence in him.

big v even sucked at the right side last year , he played better on the left. don't know why but that's the way it was.

2 minutes ago, vaeagle2 said:

the only way the team knows if dillard is the LT he was drafted to be is to play him for extended reps , filling in here and there isn't allowing the game to come to him and become our franchise LT.

Something about him makes them feel like they need JP. Maybe it’s as a competition to see if Dillard can handle it, but I don’t see how they could bring Peters back and expect him to battle for his job. 

3 minutes ago, vaeagle2 said:

big v even sucked at the right side last year , he played better on the left. don't know why but that's the way it was.

Can’t say I remember everything from last season in regards to the line. I know a lot of players struggled at different moments. I thought Dillard played well in spots on the left side. Interesting the DG seems to be the one doing the most reporting on the Dillard and how the Eagles appear to be feeling about him. He’s also the one reporting the mutual interest. He could be being fed information by someone (JP) to make Dillard look bad and Peters look good. We will see. 

• Like 1

One of my favorite eagles ever, but it’s time to move on. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sure hope they bring him back, think he can be dominant for a couple more years.

5 minutes ago, JP HOF said:

Sure hope they bring him back, think he can be dominant for a couple more years.

Yeah I don't want them to bring him back. His good days are long past him. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

I’ll believe it when I see it 

In this offseason of mixed messages, and decision making that is a head scratcher,  this seems like par for the course. Makes perfect sense in this offseason for them to dump Malcom Jenkins with no replacement they have tried to develop and bring back JP when they selected his replacement in the 1st round. Makes about as much sense as drafting a QB in the second round after giving the franchise guy over a 100 million or giving a disgruntled wide receiver a guaranteed contract only to try and trade him weeks later. 

I’m only ok with it if it’s in a back up role. Other than that it’s a waste of trading up to get Dillard.  Whether Dillard or Peters would be ok with that is another question 

1 minute ago, QuinnWR4 said:

I’m only ok with it if it’s in a back up role. Other than that it’s a waste of trading up to get Dillard.  Whether Dillard or Peters would be ok with that is another question 

I don't see Peters coming back as a backup. The guy has too much clout with the owner and the FO. If he's back it's to be as a starter unfortunately. Here's the real issue though. If they thought Dillard was ready this isn't even an option. 

• Like 2