Showtime Thread: Yellow Jackets

Gannan

Since I subscribed to Showtime to watch the new season of Dexter, I am checking out the rest of what's there. This one was recommended by a buddy of mine who has similar tastes in shows and movies. It was a little slow at first, but now I'm starting to get really into it. Part horror, part crime mystery thriller. Good cast, albeit mostly female. Anyone else watching? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gannan said:

Since I subscribed to Showtime to watch the new season of Dexter, I am checking out the rest of what's there. This one was recommended by a buddy of mine who has similar tastes in shows and movies. It was a little slow at first, but now I'm starting to get really into it. Part horror, part crime mystery thriller. Good cast, albeit mostly female. Anyone else watching? 

I've been considering this one for the same reason - Showtime really is pushing it before the new Dexter episodes

A buddy of mine loves this show and has been pushing me to get Showtime to watch it.  He's also a big fan of the new Dexter episodes.  

• 2 weeks later...

Two episodes to go - this show is awesome.  Perfect mix of horror, mystery, and psychological thriller.

Spoiler

Not sure how they're going to wrap it up in two episodes, based on the opening scene flashback.  Unless there's gonna be a season 2?  I've purposely stayed away from stuff online to avoid spoilers.  

• Like 1

Finished last night - there's definitely going to be at least one more season, and I'm reading now as many as five.  I'm telling everyone, you need to watch this show.  Has anyone else watched/finished yet? 

• Like 1

Didn't realize there was a thread. I finished it

Spoiler

Throughout the season I thought it was Jackie that was killed and eaten in the first episode. Part of me thinks that may have just been a trick by the showrunners to get people to keep watching and that someone was trapped and hung but the meat we saw them eating was the bear meat

Thought it was crazy how they all had a mushroom trip and almost killed Trevor but Jackie was in the wrong

The coach completely lost authority. I actually thought he was going to end up sleeping with Misty and he's not shown in the future because he's in jail but I guess he ends up killed

The punk girl didn't age well (the adult casting is yikes)

I think the girl Lottie that was off her meds and started the ritualistic killing of Trevor is the one in charge of the cult

Though the politician could be playing everyone and be the leader of the cult

Shauna (the one that was pregnant) is evil

I just hope they don't drag it out. Not sure what they do in 5 seasons

18 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Throughout the season I thought it was Jackie that was killed and eaten in the first episode. Part of me thinks that may have just been a trick by the showrunners to get people to keep watching and that someone was trapped and hung but the meat we saw them eating was the bear meat

Thought it was crazy how they all had a mushroom trip and almost killed Trevor but Jackie was in the wrong

The coach completely lost authority. I actually thought he was going to end up sleeping with Misty and he's not shown in the future because he's in jail but I guess he ends up killed

I think the girl Lottie that was off her meds and started the ritualistic killing of Trevor is the one in charge of the cult

Travis, not Trevor :lol: 

Anyway

Spoiler

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out the whole opening sequence and flashback of them eating the girl that fell in the pit of spikes.  There were eight of them dressed in the animal clothes, plus whoever they ate.  So Tai, Natalie, Misty, Shauna, Van, Lottie, Akilah, Mari are the "main" girls still alive from the crash.  I think there may be some other characters that we don't even know their names.  We know for sure that Tai, Natalie, Misty and Shauna survive.  I'm assuming that Lottie is the "leader" - the one with the deer antlers, based on the way the season ended.  So is this other girl just a redshirt character?  Or is one of the eight Travis and the girl they eat is one of the eight listed above?  I'm assuming Javi dies or is dead, and that coach Ben goes as well.  

4 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

Finished last night - there's definitely going to be at least one more season, and I'm reading now as many as five.  I'm telling everyone, you need to watch this show.  Has anyone else watched/finished yet? 

I finished it. Loved the entire season. The writing is great, kept me guessing the entire time.

3 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Hide contents

Juliette Lewis plays the grown up punk girl. She has had a lot of drug problems in real life and it’s aged her badly. Likewise her character on the show has drug problems.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gannan said:

Juliette Lewis plays the grown up punk girl. She has had a lot of drug problems in real life and it’s aged her badly. Likewise her character on the show has drug problems.

Yeah - I think the casting has been fantastic, honestly.  

• Like 1

yep, this seems like the best show out right now to me, behind Succession. 

The creators of the show have been pretty vocal about where they want it to go, etc so be careful if you don't want to be spoiled on anything. They're also on record weighing in on fans theories too which I think is a violation. So yeah dont go do too much digging unless you want to be guided as far as what track this is on/where it's going.

But holy crap, so much unanswered stuff. Love the way they slow-played this and gave us some swerves throughout the season to set up the future of the show. Hope Season 2 doesnt take another entire year. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

Travis, not Trevor :lol: 

Anyway

Reveal hidden contents

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out the whole opening sequence and flashback of them eating the girl that fell in the pit of spikes.  There were eight of them dressed in the animal clothes, plus whoever they ate.  So Tai, Natalie, Misty, Shauna, Van, Lottie, Akilah, Mari are the "main" girls still alive from the crash.  I think there may be some other characters that we don't even know their names.  We know for sure that Tai, Natalie, Misty and Shauna survive.  I'm assuming that Lottie is the "leader" - the one with the deer antlers, based on the way the season ended.  So is this other girl just a redshirt character?  Or is one of the eight Travis and the girl they eat is one of the eight listed above?  I'm assuming Javi dies or is dead, and that coach Ben goes as well.  

I knew it was a t but also didn't care enough about the character to double check lol

Spoiler

One thought I had was that there was going to be 2 sides kind of at war and one was going to win. I figured it was going to be the people that were ok with eating others and the ones that weren't

4 minutes ago, Gannan said:

I thought Nat just smoked weed on the show?

Just now, Mike030270 said:

I knew it was a t but also didn't care enough about the character to double check lol

Reveal hidden contents

One thought I had was that there was going to be 2 sides kind of at war and one was going to win. I figured it was going to be the people that were ok with eating others and the ones that weren't

I thought Nat just smoked weed on the show?

Spoiler

:lol:  Were we watching the same show?  They mentioned Nat being in rehab several different times in her life, and at one point she bought $300 worth of cocaine.  Plus she's a heavy drinker

• Like 1

Just now, mikemack8 said:
  Hide contents

:lol:  Were we watching the same show?  They mentioned Nat being in rehab several different times in her life, and at one point she bought $300 worth of cocaine.  Plus she's a heavy drinker

Spoiler

I'll have to re-watch it because I wasn't fully invested during the beginning. I tuned in because I was curious how they'd do a plane crash with cannibalism with a girls high school sports team

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

Yeah - I think the casting has been fantastic, honestly.  

She's fantastic on that show, so is Christina Ricci (her character gives me the creeps every time she is on screen).

5 hours ago, JBENT87 said:

yep, this seems like the best show out right now to me, behind Succession. 

The creators of the show have been pretty vocal about where they want it to go, etc so be careful if you don't want to be spoiled on anything. They're also on record weighing in on fans theories too which I think is a violation. So yeah dont go do too much digging unless you want to be guided as far as what track this is on/where it's going.

But holy crap, so much unanswered stuff. Love the way they slow-played this and gave us some swerves throughout the season to set up the future of the show. Hope Season 2 doesnt take another entire year. 

I know. I was going to give up my showtime subscription, but even if I do, I'll be back for season 2. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gannan said:

She's fantastic on that show, so is Christina Ricci (her character gives me the creeps every time she is on screen).

I know. I was going to give up my showtime subscription, but even if I do, I'll be back for season 2. 

did a free trial just for this show. Think I may do another rewatch of season 1, watch the Bryan Cranston mini series (Your Honor) and then check out the Dexter reboot before cancelling. Feel like I may not be able to get this done within the 20 days or so I have left, so if they get me for an actual month then so be it. I'll be back next year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the first season last night. Wasn't really a fan. Maybe season 2 will be better but too many eye rolling moments in season 1 that I'm not sure how much interest I'll still have by the time it rolls around.

20 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Finished the first season last night. Wasn't really a fan. Maybe season 2 will be better but too many eye rolling moments in season 1 that I'm not sure how much interest I'll still have by the time it rolls around.

I'm interested to see if all the stuff that happened in the woods is actually supernatural or just them slowly descending into madness - could go either way.  

18 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

I'm interested to see if all the stuff that happened in the woods is actually supernatural or just them slowly descending into madness - could go either way.  

They've teased supernatural elements, only to seemingly later reveal psychosis as the cause, which I kinda liked. Especially what was revealed in the last episode.

But most of my issues are with how dumb all the characters are, both past and present. Typical for the genre, I guess, but comes off as silly and unimaginative. Just seems like lazy writing to craft characters that stupid. Hard to suspend disbelief when you see scenes like

The entire group of girls so terrified of a bear that they just remain outside the cabin instead of running inside and shutting the door

Shauna murders someone and then is barely concerned about acting quickly enough to deal with the fallout before the police are involved

Taissa and Natalie so eager to implicate themselves in the murder and basically risk throwing their lives away to help Shauna. 

Young Natalie and Travis come back to the cabin but somehow completely miss the fact that Jackie was asleep outside 10ft from the door

Then all the issues with the framing of the premise itself, that the wreckage was never found, or rescuers being unable to determine the flight path and narrow down it's last known location before the crash. The pilots knew something was wrong while flying over Canada, not the Pacific, so should've been in comms range the whole time. 

Willing to gloss over some of it, but found all of it too tough of a pill to swallow when she shanked the dude she was having an affair with. Really the whole plotline of the adult version of Shauna was just boring. Would've been better off if they focused more on the 90's timeline.

8 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

They've teased supernatural elements, only to seemingly later reveal psychosis as the cause, which I kinda liked. Especially what was revealed in the last episode.

But most of my issues are with how dumb all the characters are, both past and present. Typical for the genre, I guess, but comes off as silly and unimaginative. Just seems like lazy writing to craft characters that stupid. Hard to suspend disbelief when you see scenes like

Reveal hidden contents

The entire group of girls so terrified of a bear that they just remain outside the cabin instead of running inside and shutting the door

Shauna murders someone and then is barely concerned about acting quickly enough to deal with the fallout before the police are involved

Taissa and Natalie so eager to implicate themselves in the murder and basically risk throwing their lives away to help Shauna. 

Young Natalie and Travis come back to the cabin but somehow completely miss the fact that Jackie was asleep outside 10ft from the door

Then all the issues with the framing of the premise itself, that the wreckage was never found, or rescuers being unable to determine the flight path and narrow down it's last known location before the crash. The pilots knew something was wrong while flying over Canada, not the Pacific, so should've been in comms range the whole time. 

Willing to gloss over some of it, but found all of it too tough of a pill to swallow when she shanked the dude she was having an affair with. Really the whole plotline of the adult version of Shauna was just boring. Would've been better off if they focused more on the 90's timeline.

Spoiler

I agree about adult Shauna - alot of online reviews are raving about her performance.  I find her character incredibly dull and selfish.  Young Shauna isn't much better.  I also wish they would spend more time in the past with the aftermath of the crash, but now that this show has become a hit, they're gonna drag it out as long as they can, only teasing us with details about what happened out there.  I just hope they have a plan, and it doesn't end up like Lost where the writers had no idea where they were going to end up.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikemack8 said:
  Hide contents

I agree about adult Shauna - alot of online reviews are raving about her performance.  I find her character incredibly dull and selfish.  Young Shauna isn't much better.  I also wish they would spend more time in the past with the aftermath of the crash, but now that this show has become a hit, they're gonna drag it out as long as they can, only teasing us with details about what happened out there.  I just hope they have a plan, and it doesn't end up like Lost where the writers had no idea where they were going to end up.  

That's exactly why I'm leery about it. I never saw Lost when it aired and never had any interest after hearing about how aimless and unsatisfying it was. Might've felt differently about this show if they tried to tie up some of these loose ends now rather than in season 2.

16 hours ago, DBW said:

Started watching yellowjackets last night.  So good! I watched 3 episodes in bed.  I’m hooked now 

That's how it was for me. I don't binge watch a lot of shows, so when I find one like this I can't get enough. 

Watched the first couple episodes again and picked up on a lot of things I missed the first time around. Totally missed the part about Lottie being a schizo. Thought it was anxiety or ADD, but this makes more sense.