Your Most Memorable Concerts

Alpha_TATEr

I have been to a ton of concerts. a lot of great shows, and a couple crap ones. what were your favorites ?

1- aerosmith - done with mirrors tour - first time I ever saw the band, first tour after re-uniting so they hadn't gotten too commercial yet.

2- metallica - master of puppets tour opening for ozzy. this show was insanely great. all four members in complete sync with each other. and of course, Cliff !!!!!!!!

3- black crowes with jimmy page - so damn good. I still cant believe chris robinson pulled this off.

4- boston - third stage tour. played all three albums, every song.

5- iron maiden - somewhere in time tour. Eddie !!!!!

• Like 1

Muse

Saw them at Electric Factory, Liacouras, and Wells Fargo center. Always a great show and they go over the top with their lighting affects. 

• Like 1

Journey - Because Steve Perry got hit in the eye with a glow stick thrown from the crowd, then jumped off the stage, beat the crap out of the guy, and wound up getting arrested for it.

Pink Floyd - Because some of what I "remember" may, or may not, have actually happened.

Lollapalooza 1996 - Metallica, RATM, Soundgarden, Violent Femmes, Wu Tang, Devo, Soul Coughing, etc...  Do I need to say more?  Because I can...

• Haha 1

AC/DC Razor's Edge tour at Spectrum. Think Great White opened.

AC/Dc NEVER failed. Best part was the Jailbreak extended bridge/solo. Angus stripped. Skip to 5:58.

Wu-Tang / Rage Against the Machine tour in '98 or '99 at the Tweeter Center!

Roger Waters at the Nissan Center near Busch Gardens was unbelievable too.

I also saw Wu-Tang in a really small venue in San Fran about 5 years ago (no Method Man though).  Lotta marijuana in that place!  

The worst concert I went to was Foo Fighters/Red Hot Chili Peppers at Hershey, PA in the late 1990's. I was really excited to see FF, they were still fairly new and I hadn't seen them before. RHCP was a bonus. Foos came out messed up, drunk, they couldn't play anything. They could only muster about 4 songs in about an hour before calling it quits. RCHP came out and played a good show but I still felt like I should have had my money back. I paid for two bands and I only got the one I didn't really want to see. Years later, I went to a Foo Fighters family and friends show at the 9:30 Club in DC (I won tickets. Dave Grohl is from Northern VA). The place only holds 1500 people so it was a real intimate show. I found a great spot on the 2nd floor balcony center. They played a greatest hits show. Dave Grohl went on top of the bar in back, took a shot, played a solo. Easily one of the Top 5 shows I've seen in my life. They earned my money back.

I have seen Green Day several times. Always a good time.

Any Tool show, obviously. My favorite was when they had the floating ball and contortionists hanging from the ceiling. It was Lateralus era, I think.

3 hours ago, downundermike said:

Tool at the Gorge in Washington State.

Jealous! I'd love to see any band play there.

2 minutes ago, toolg said:

The worst concert I went to was Foo Fighters/Red Hot Chili Peppers at Hershey, PA in the late 1990's. I was really excited to see FF, they were still fairly new and I hadn't seen them before. RHCP was a bonus. Foos came out messed up, drunk, they couldn't play anything. They could only muster about 4 songs in about an hour before calling it quits. RCHP came out and played a good show but I still felt like I should have had my money back. I paid for two bands and I only got the one I didn't really want to see. Years later, I went to a Foo Fighters family and friends show at the 9:30 Club in DC (I won tickets. Dave Grohl is from Northern VA). The place only holds 1500 people so it was a real intimate show. I found a great spot on the 2nd floor balcony center. They played a greatest hits show. Dave Grohl went on top of the bar in back, took a shot, played a solo. Easily one of the Top 5 shows I've seen in my life. They earned my money back.

I have seen Green Day several times. Always a good time.

Any Tool show, obviously. My favorite was when they had the floating ball and contortionists hanging from the ceiling. It was Lateralus era, I think.

Jealous! I'd love to see any band play there.

I have seen Tool, summer jam 95 headlined by Naughty by Nature, Janet Jackson, Montell Jordan, John Mayer and TLC at the Gorge.  Tool and Naughty by Nature are two great experiences.

1 hour ago, hputenis said:

Wu-Tang / Rage Against the Machine tour in '98 or '99 at the Tweeter Center!

Roger Waters at the Nissan Center near Busch Gardens was unbelievable too.

I also saw Wu-Tang in a really small venue in San Fran about 5 years ago (no Method Man though).  Lotta marijuana in that place!  

I saw the black crowes at the tower theater once, the whole place was filled with pot smoke. mine included. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

- I took a girl to see Alanis Morrisette when she was the biggest thing going. RADIOHEAD was the opening act. It’s cliche to say now, but they were incredible live.

- I saw The Roots in college. That was a good show.

- I went with friends to a Dave Mathews Band concert, just to see what all the fuss was about. I was underwhelmed. Even worse, the Black Crowes opened. I was excited to see them. They phoned it in.

Rolling Stones at The Spectrum in July 1972.  First concert I saw ever.

Fleetwood Mac at The Spectrum in November 1979.  First date with this large tata-ed girl I knew from college; good concert (Tusk Tour) then we went back to the apartment and Fed like rabbits for the rest of the night.

Hall & Oates at Mann Music Center in July 1983.  Marshall Crenshaw was the opening act.  Outdoor concerts rock.   :rock:

Springsteen out in Tempe at the ASU Activity Center in November 1983.  Had to be up the next day at 03:00 for a check ride, but you gotta have priorities. 

Steve Winwood at Union Bank & Trust Pavilion in Portsmouth in May 2012.  Have I mentioned outdoor concerts rock?  Closed out with "Gimme Some Lovin".  Winwood is the man.

Bruce Springsteen, Rutgers, 1976.  That was really his peak period.

bruise.jpg

Gil Scott-Heron, Rutgers, 1975.  He was brilliant and terrifying.

Grateful Dead, Englishtown NJ,  1977.  Opening acts included New Riders of the Purple Sage and Marshall Tucker.  https://www.app.com/story/entertainment/music/2017/09/02/grateful-dead-fans-flocked-to-raceway-park/610173001/

George Jones' 75th Birthday Concert, Grand Ol Opry, Nashville, 2006.  George only sang once, but it was a jam-packed tribute with Dierks Bentley, Billy Ray Cyrus, Jimmy Dickens, Joe Diffie, Sammy Kershaw, Alison Krauss + Union Station, Craig Morgan, Joe Nichols and Tanya Tucker. I never heard prettier live music than Alison Krauss's band.

Miles Davis, Philadelphia, circa 1990. Brilliant even though he played with his back to us.

Dizzy Gillespie, free outdoor concert at the Art Museum, circa 1976.

Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee, in a coffee house in Chapel Hill NC, circa 1980. Maybe 30 people there, we sat in a circle with those guys. I didn't know we were with legends, but I know now.

Metallica Tampa 1994.  The first time I saw them.  My cousin Rob was Kirk Hammet's guitar technician. I got to go backstage for the entire show which also had Fight, Suicidal Tendencies and Candlebox.  I met pretty much everyone from every band except for Lars.  He hid in his little private room all day long.  Kirk was awesome and super friendly.  James was Mr.Cool and Jason Newstead must have been on coke that day because he was everywhere acting like a maniac.  The set list was kick a**.

Breadfan

Master of Puppets

Wherever I May Roam

Harvester of Sorrow

Welcome Home (Sanitarium)

The God That Failed

Ride the Lightning / No Remorse / The Four Horsemen / Phantom Lord / Fight Fire With Fire

For Whom the Bell Tolls

Disposable Heroes

Seek & Destroy

Guitar Solo

Nothing Else Matters

Creeping Death

Bass Solo

Fade to Black

Whiplash

Encore:

Sad but True

One

Encore 2:

Enter Sandman

So What

• Like 1

no orion sir ? Chickie is only allowed to play orion when she plays guitar hero: metallica

5 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

no orion sir ? Chickie is only allowed to play orion when she plays guitar hero: metallica

NO! And I wasnt happy about that. But, they did make up for it a little by playing a very long version of Seek and Destroy. I swear it went on for 15 minutes. 

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 3:29 PM, toolg said:

The worst concert I went to was Foo Fighters/Red Hot Chili Peppers at Hershey, PA in the late 1990's.

ironically the worst concert i ever went to was at Hershey, pa. skid row and GnR. skid row was ok, never much of a fan, but GnR absolutely sucked. it was their use your illusion tour and of course they got on stage really late. then they didn't play a song anyone knew until they played you could be mine 7 songs into the set. axl and duff were ****ing at the crowd while being booed. total clusterF of a night.

1 minute ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

ironically the worst concert i ever went to was at Hershey, pa. skid row and GnR.

I've seen a bunch of bad shows at Hershey Stadium. There was one concert (I can't remember who I saw) but I could hear the audience talking over the music the entire time. Must be a noise ordinance in town. Then I saw Incubus play years ago at the Pavilion on the other side, it wasn't so bad. However I find the Giant Center, the newer indoor arena, is a pretty good venue for a concert. It's not as big as Wells Fargo Center/Spectrum so I think it's better-suited for a concert.

for me, concerts are all about the venue...the smaller, the better.  arenas, stadiums, or large outdoor venues just don't have the same appeal, imo.  best i saw was public enemy in the trocadero theater in philly.  they crushed all their hits & even had some cameos from biz markie, philly's schooly d, & others.  great show in a small-ish venue. 

journey at the sands bethlehem was a good one too since we had great seats close to the stage.    

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

for me, concerts are all about the venue...the smaller, the better.  arenas, stadiums, or large outdoor venues just don't have the same appeal, imo.  best i saw was public enemy in the trocadero theater in philly.  they crushed all their hits & even had some cameos from biz markie, philly's schooly d, & others.  great show in a small-ish venue. 

journey at the sands bethlehem was a good one too since we had great seats close to the stage.    

100% this - smaller venues means more crowd interaction which typically leads to better shows.  All of my most memorable concerts are at places like the Electric Factory and smaller, with a few exceptions.  Kenny Chesney at the Linc in 2018 was amazing - great weekend in Philly with friends, had a meet and greet with him prior to the concert, and then Lurie, Pederson, Wentz, Ertz, Jake Elliott and a bunch of others came out at the end of the show with the Lombardi trophy.  The place went absolutely ballistic - it was incredible.  Someone even started cutting onions near me, it was kinda weird!

oddest concert was Weird Al; chickie is a HUGE fan, if the original song comes on the radio, she's got to sing the Weird Al version while you roll your eyes into mexico. Anyways, sealed husband of the year a couple christmas ago by getting tickets to his SA show. she lost her mind; small venue but WOW, not a fan but it was a kick a** show. Weird Al knows how to give his fans what they want. would think about going to another show of his someday. 

10 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

oddest concert was Weird Al; chickie is a HUGE fan, if the original song comes on the radio, she's got to sing the Weird Al version while you roll your eyes into mexico. Anyways, sealed husband of the year a couple christmas ago by getting tickets to his SA show. she lost her mind; small venue but WOW, not a fan but it was a kick a** show. Weird Al knows how to give his fans what they want. would think about going to another show of his someday. 

forgot about him.  i went to one of his shows in a theater & it was really good. :lol:  

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 11:11 AM, mr_hunt said:

agreed. saw the black crowes at the tower, anthrax at the TLA. (stage jumped after getting high five from scott ian)

Metallica (2004) - They did the center stage setup for this tour so in an arena setting they only allowed one row of standing down the narrow sides on the floor. I had floors and just happened to be lucky enough to get a spot down the narrow side. Rob ended up leaning into the crowd during one of the songs and encouraged us the play on his bass... so I got to pluck a couple of strings. Also ended up with a couple of picks. Amazing show. 

Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Rush (2003) - This was a benefit concert in Toronto post-SARS outbreak (outside of China, Toronto was one of the hardest hit places in the world). There were nearly 500,000 people there and I was able to maneuver my way to the front barricade. Pretty amazing to see that group of bands from so close with that many people in attendance. 

Tool - I've seen them 5 times so just pick a show. They're excellent every time. Actually one of the times I saw them was in 2006 at an amphitheater. When they were playing Aenima it started absolutely pouring rain right at the spot where Maynard sings "I'm praying for rain and I'm praying for tidal waves." Kinda cool. Glad I had seats under the roof though. 

Disturbed (2006) - Yeah I know, Disturbed... but this show was in a bar that held about 500 people. They pretty much blew everyone's faces off. My ears rang for days after this show. I still can't believe they played that small of a venue in 2006.... they were pretty big at that point.

Alice in Chains (2019) - Being as big of a fan as I am, it took me a long time to pop my AiC live concert cherry. Finally did it last year at a fairly intimate venue (held about 5000 people). It would've been amazing to see them with Staley, but honestly DuVall does a damn good job IMO. It's Jerry's band, but William has his place and definitely doesn't butcher Layne's vocal parts. The setlist was damn near perfect that night and the band had really good energy. 

There are tons and tons of other good shows I've seen on top of these ones... Incubus, Soundgarden, Audioslave, RHCP, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Live, Chevelle, and many many more. I :wub: concerts... it's just difficult to get to them as often now with kids. Damn adulting.

• Like 1

Ozzfest a few times was good.

The Police put together a few shows a few years ago to try and tour again but they just said F it. I saw one of the few shows at Hershey. It was great! Sting's voice was still up there, and they did an extended eargasmic intro to Walking On the Moon.

Saw The Who TWICE when they went on tour again a few years ago. I was in my twenties bragging about seeing The Who in concert LOL.

Also saw Robert Plant and one of the bands he was in on his own, a few years ago. Pretty good, but he's no pre-1975 Plant.

Been to a lot of shows - one of my favorites was Peter Gabriel at the Mann Music Center in 1983.  

Another one was Steve Winwood at the Merriweather Post in 1991.

Yes Union Tour in the Round was great.

Kansas 40th Anniversary show in Pittsburgh in 2013, as well.