Devonta Smith discussion: rate his performance

700Level4Life

On 1/20/2022 at 11:20 AM, downundermike said:

I do not think he cracks the top 32.  There is teams with two, some with 3 WR's right now that are better than him.

Bengals, Chase and Higgins, Vikings, Thielen and Jefferson, Rams, Kupp and Beckham, Seattle, Lockett and DK, TB, Godwin and Evans.  So 5 teams and we already have 10 WR's.  He may be top 32 next year, but he is not right now.

Pretty much any team that has 2 or 3 WR's better than Smith has an elite QB (that can make more than one read) throwing to them and are not running the ball due to their QB's limitations. Not sure you will ever see just how good Smith can be till either Hurt's improves a lot or we upgrade. If he had brady/stafford/wilson/burrow or a among others throwing the ball to him he would be in the top 32 no problem. He is limited mainly by the QB play here.

I think he played a good season. As usual it’s not 100% black and white. He was a rookie and every now and then it showed. Other times he was wide open and not a target. 

What remains is that he proved to be a really good receiver. It’s normal for receivers to take a few years until they are able to shine in the NFL but he is so crazy talented that he made a big impact for us right away. 

And it’s not all talent either. Smith is no a diva, he impressed me by making some competent blocks for us too. Laugh all you want but that matters too, proved mentality and understanding of the game.

We finally got a receiver right. And to think we turned a first and a third into a first and Smith still makes me smile.

On 1/31/2022 at 11:21 AM, eagle45 said:

He is silky smooth and does a great job getting open...but he shouldn't be the take the top off guy, nor should he be the guy that you force the ball to underneath to YAC out big playsNeither of those are his game.

TO, Julio, Ty Hill...those guys are all of those things wrapped into one.  It's not fair to demand that from Smith, but it's also unwise to say..."Smith is a stud, we are done at WR, let's move on," nor is it wise to say, "Smith is a stud, just get him some sluggish possession WR to play next to and we are good to go."

You've hit the nail on the head with this post, that's exactly how I see him and it's exactly why I say he's not a #1 WR........it was another swing and a miss by Howie..

He's got all of the finesse skills you look for in a WR and he has his head screwed on straight. He also has that Todd Pinkston body type so the physical limitations are there as well. I think he'll be a very good WR for the Eagles if he's used properly and not often put in harms way. I don't see him as a complete WR1, but he can still be an impact player under the right circumstances.

19 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

He's got all of the finesse skills you look for in a WR and he has his head screwed on straight. He also has that Todd Pinkston body type so the physical limitations are there as well. I think he'll be a very good WR for the Eagles if he's used properly and not often put in harms way. I don't see him as a complete WR1, but he can still be an impact player under the right circumstances.

With avg to below avg QB play he still topped over 900 yards receiving, I bet if Joe Borrow was throwing to him, he would put up better numbers than JaMar Chase..

He can definitely become a No.1 WR imo.

• Like 3

He seemed humble and quiet when he got here. Now? He is starting to smell himself and starting to talk too much as a rookie. He needs to shut up and prove himself the next few years. If he wants to start talking the talk after one "ok" year, he is in trouble. Stay humble, stfu and BE great. Let your PLAYING do the talking. He is starting to let his mouth run a little too much for such an unproven rookie. I like him, but if he is going to be all cocky before he really does anything great....

Still broke the franchise rookie yards record with only a rushing attack on offense

On 2/7/2022 at 1:10 PM, Talonblood said:

He seemed humble and quiet when he got here. Now? He is starting to smell himself and starting to talk too much as a rookie. He needs to shut up and prove himself the next few years. If he wants to start talking the talk after one "ok" year, he is in trouble. Stay humble, stfu and BE great. Let your PLAYING do the talking. He is starting to let his mouth run a little too much for such an unproven rookie. I like him, but if he is going to be all cocky before he really does anything great....

And he said cheese steaks are overrated!!!

• Haha 2

On 2/7/2022 at 12:10 PM, Talonblood said:

What did he do?

On 2/7/2022 at 12:10 PM, Talonblood said:

A lot of WRs are divas who are cocky and talk, that's nothing new.

• Haha 1

Finally found a stats website that lets you filter between WR and TE.  Most of the sites lump all positions together so it's hard to get rankings.  

So among actual Wide Receivers and not including Tight Ends or Running Backs, Smith ranks:

Receptions: 34th
Yards: 26th
Touchdowns: 33rd
Average yards per catch: 22nd
Yards after catch: 44th
Targets: 33rd
Longest reception: 46 yards (Watkins had the longest reception this year with 91 yards)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Finally found a stats website that lets you filter between WR and TE.  Most of the sites lump all positions together so it's hard to get rankings.  

So among actual Wide Receivers and not including Tight Ends or Running Backs, Smith ranks:

Receptions: 34th
Yards: 26th
Touchdowns: 33rd
Average yards per catch: 22nd
Yards after catch: 44th
Targets: 33rd
Longest reception: 46 yards (Watkins had the longest reception this year with 91 yards)

So..... He sucks?

On 1/31/2022 at 8:22 PM, Shalodeep said:

He had less touchdowns and not many more yards than Jordan Matthews did with an extra game.... Just saying. Great potential, but nothing wild yet. QB has a bit to do with it I hope 

Chip Kelly's offense was a dream for WR's, Matthews put up those numbers as WR2 behind Maclin with Foles and Buttfumble at QB. Comparing that with last years offense is like comparing apples with cellphones.

57 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Chip Kelly's offense was a dream for WR's, Matthews put up those numbers as WR2 behind Maclin with Foles and Buttfumble at QB. Comparing that with last years offense is like comparing apples with cellphones.

It's why at the end I said something about QB play. Smith was open all the time, but Hurts usually made the wrong read on that play. Smith easily could of broken 1100 yards this year. I just think people get carried away with how great he is when there are legit wr 1 that have left him behind the last few classes. I feel he will grow with the QB position getting fixed

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Comparing that with last years offense is like comparing apples with cellphones

Well apple makes cellphones soooo..... 😛

• Haha 6

On 2/7/2022 at 7:10 PM, Talonblood said:

I hope being cocky will only fuel him to further prove himself and live up to the cockyness. 

On 1/20/2022 at 11:20 AM, downundermike said:

I do not think he cracks the top 32.  There is teams with two, some with 3 WR's right now that are better than him.

Bengals, Chase and Higgins, Vikings, Thielen and Jefferson, Rams, Kupp and Beckham, Seattle, Lockett and DK, TB, Godwin and Evans.  So 5 teams and we already have 10 WR's.  He may be top 32 next year, but he is not right now.

Agreed, but he is right on that fringe. I would put him in range of about 35-45 based on right now. And honestly its a toss up with some of those guys, I would prefer Smith over guys like Higgins, Lockett, Renfro, St. Brown, Pittman, etc.

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Solid B.  I like him.  Just not sold on him being a true #1 for the future.  

He's a competitor, that's for sure.  And I doubt he'll be content when having a glorified running back throwing him the ball.  Or not throwing him the ball...

Please elaborate. Is it his size? Because thats the only flaw that really stands out, and tbh it doesn't bother me that much. A number one does not mean he is a top 5 receiver. Terry McLaurin is a #1, DJ Moore, Chris Godwin (they have 2 #1s), etc

50 minutes ago, QBhunter58 said:

Please elaborate. Is it his size? Because thats the only flaw that really stands out, and tbh it doesn't bother me that much. A number one does not mean he is a top 5 receiver. Terry McLaurin is a #1, DJ Moore, Chris Godwin (they have 2 #1s), etc

45 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Wasn’t sold on him when we drafted him because of his size and the spot we took him at.  This past season didn’t change that.  

Just because a WR is the best one on the team doesn’t make him a true #1.  And it’s a low bar for this team, that’s for sure.  

Like I said.  I like him.  Just not sold on him as a 1.  I’d love to be proven wrong.  Just won’t know until her gets a real QB to throw to him. And he stays healthy.    

Agree with 4for4, he is the best Eagles receiver, but he is not putting up #1 numbers.

His 64 catches rank 64th in the league, that would put him as the last 2nd receiving option.

His 916 yards rank 29th, so he is the bottom of #1's in yards.

3 hours ago, mihailo said:

I hope being cocky will only fuel him to further prove himself and live up to the cockyness. 

Ok, I am good with that. There was a time DJax could do that, and it wasn't so bad. I was just saying don't start talking ish until you KNOW you are great. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

Agree with 4for4, he is the best Eagles receiver, but he is not putting up #1 numbers.

His 64 catches rank 64th in the league, that would put him as the last 2nd receiving option.

Fair, but the argument was whether we are sold on him being a true number 1 in the future. 4 for 4 's opinion is that he is not sold (and he stated his reasons). I am, even though he was not a #1 last year.

Look at Mclaurin's rookie numbers: 58 rec, 919 yards.

Davante Adams did not top 900 yards til year 3

Deebo Samuel: 57 rec, 802 yds

Also, even though he is not a number 1 right now, look at the guys Smith is already lumped in with statistically: Thielin, Metcalf, Claypool... If he is hanging with those guys as a rookie (and a poor QB), Devonta is going to be alright. 

Really for me, it comes down to the eye test more than numbers. Smith looks like a future number 1 receiver to me, even though he has a smaller frame. Plus he has that workman mentality that we all love as philly fans, he will only get better. And hell, if I am wrong he is going to be a damn good 2nd.

3 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Wasn’t sold on him when we drafted him because of his size and the spot we took him at.  

Right, he wasn't a #1 draft pick as far as I'm concerned, first of all, the WR position wasn't on my radar at all for the first pick, I was however looking at Marques Stevenson from Houston in the 4th or 5th.

6 hours ago, downundermike said:

I wonder why...

image.jpeg.228a30f3a2469184e2dee037f0ed7256.jpeg

• Haha 1