Devonta Smith discussion: rate his performance

700Level4Life

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

From my perspective, Watkins has proved more than Smith, I've said many times Quez is the best WR on the team.

Wow.  This terrible take is up there with RTK!  I wish you were trolling, but I fear that you aren't.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

From my perspective, Watkins has proved more than Smith, I've said many times Quez is the best WR on the team.

Proven. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Wow.  This terrible take is up there with RTK!  I wish you were trolling, but I fear that you aren't.  

I’m not supposed to mention this because he’ll get super sensitive if he sees this, but you’re talking to a guy who thinks we live on a stationary frisbee. 

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

From everyone else’s perspective (to include the team) he’s not the best receiver on the team. I guess you don’t see the irony in being critical of people for "anointing” Smith for having a solid rookie season, while you boastfully claim Watkins is the best receiver on the team when his numbers for two seasons don’t even add up to Smith’s one season. 🤦🏾‍♂️

I couldn't care less about everyone else's perspective including yours, I know those number don't mean jack because of the college teammate thing that led to tunnel vision by Hurts, just like the Wentz to Ertz thing. 

I'll say it again, Smith looked like a possession receiver to me while Quez looked to be a receiver who could take it to the house anytime he touched the ball.  

49 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Globe trolling, flat earth facts.

57 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I’m not supposed to mention this because he’ll get super sensitive if he sees this, but you’re talking to a guy who thinks we live on a stationary frisbee. 

It's one of my favorite threads in this whole place.  Thank you for all you do in there.  😂

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

I couldn't care less about everyone else's perspective including yours, I know those number don't mean jack because of the college teammate thing that led to tunnel vision by Hurts, just like the Wentz to Ertz thing. 

I'll say it again, Smith looked like a possession receiver to me while Quez looked to be a receiver who could take it to the house anytime he touched the ball.  

Smith ran open and created separation on close to 90% of his routes during the season.  He is probably the smoothest route runner in the league as a rookie and he has great hands.  I'm not saying that makes him "the best,"  and his size could still be an ongoing issue, but for you to claim that f'ing Quez Watkins is a better receiver than him is the most boneheaded take I've seen on here in awhile.  Apart from CVON of course.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, NOTW said:

New to reading his posts?  :lol:

Here we go, rounding up the posse.......so typical.  

11 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Here we go, rounding up the posse.......so typical.  

image.gif.c2e1450b8f71567529fe6e5f0e8cf5a2.gif

14 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Well it’s fairly mutual bud. No one really cares about your stupid opinion either. By the way claiming a guy with 50 career catches with only two career touchdowns can take it to the house every time he catches the ball might be the worst take I’ve ever read about football. 

5 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Well it’s fairly mutual bud. No one really cares about your stupid opinion either. By the way claiming a guy with 50 career catches with only two career touchdowns can take it to the house every time he catches the ball might be the worst take I’ve ever read about football. 

Since you like number so much here's some for you that verifies the point I was making concerning the Hurts to Smith tunnel vision, Smith had 104 targets, Watkins had 62, that's 42 additional targets for Smith which led to only 19 additional receptions. 

One last number for you, the longest reception of 2021 was 91 yards by Watkins which leads to my stupid opinion that Hurts should look for Watkins more than he looks for Smith.   

17 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Since you like number so much here's some for you that verifies the point I was making concerning the Hurts to Smith tunnel vision, Smith had 104 targets, Watkins had 62, that's 42 additional targets for Smith which led to only 19 additional receptions. 

One last number for you, the longest reception of 2021 was 91 yards by Watkins which leads to my stupid opinion that Hurts should look for Watkins more than he looks for Smith.   

Smith was constantly getting the most attention by opposing defenses. That attention opened things up for Watkins to have the season he did. Both players would have had higher numbers if we passed more. I do think our QB needs to take advantage of the combo of Smith's attention and Watkins ability to get open deep, more than we did. But even Watkins couldn't turn that 91 yard reception into a TD. I don't really care how you label Smith. Jason Avant and Cris Carter were possession receivers. Carter is in the HOF. Smith is a lot faster than both of them. I would label Smith as a complete WR because he can beat you in every way. 

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

Smith was constantly getting the most attention by opposing defenses. That attention opened things up for Watkins to have the season he did. Both players would have had higher numbers if we passed more. I do think our QB needs to take advantage of the combo of Smith's attention and Watkins ability to get open deep, more than we did. But even Watkins couldn't turn that 91 yard reception into a TD. I don't really care how you label Smith. Jason Avant and Cris Carter were possession receivers. Carter is in the HOF. Smith is a lot faster than both of them. I would label Smith as a complete WR because he can beat you in every way. 

I'm not labeling Smith at all, just speaking on what I saw, namely, very little separation and RAC.

In defense of Smith:

Drafted Eagles WRs always suck something awful.  He didn’t.  He put up some numbers as our top receiving option.

The ball was delivered so late to every Eagle wr all year long that coverage caught back up and closed the gap.  

He did a great job using his long arms to secure catches in traffic and along the sidelines.

Against Smith:

Hurts may be a one read qb, but Smith WAS the one read.  The poor qb play disproportionally affected the other targets more than Smith.

Jordan Matthews and Reggie Brown put up some noteworthy numbers early in their careers.  Both were not explosive and were maxed out early.  Smith needs to emphatically take a different career trajectory and rise above this.

Smith did not make many big plays downfield or splash plays due to big separation.  Much of that may be on the qb, but he’s still got to prove he can do it.  6’ 160lbs isn’t a fit for an underneath traffic WR.

9 hours ago, EagleVA said:

I'm not labeling Smith at all, just speaking on what I saw, namely, very little separation and RAC.

If you see very little separation, your eyes are closed. As for YAC, can't get much of that when toe-dragging catches at the sideline. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2022 at 4:15 PM, brkmsn said:

If you see very little separation, your eyes are closed. As for YAC, can't get much of that when toe-dragging catches at the sideline. 

Also won't get much YAC/RAC depending on the types of routes he is running and with a QB that can't throw with anticipation and lead his receivers.

23 minutes ago, Devaster said:

Also won't get much YAC/RAC depending on the types of routes he is running and with a QB that can't throw with anticipation and lead his receivers.

Route type is a big factor. Of course Hurts would help a lot of his accuracy is more consistent and he doesn't wait too long on the deep passes. Those are things he can work on and improve over time. 

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Route type is a big factor. Of course Hurts would help a lot of his accuracy is more consistent and he doesn't wait too long on the deep passes. Those are things he can work on and improve over time. 

Those aren't skills that are often improved upon from the QB position. Either a QB has them or they don't.

I don't know how there can be doubt about Smith. He's clearly the best receiver this team has ever had. You put him with a good throwing QB and he easily burns every record.

1 hour ago, Vileborg said:

I don't know how there can be doubt about Smith. He's clearly the best receiver this team has ever had. You put him with a good throwing QB and he easily burns every record.

Yeah I like Smith, but after one rookie season I’m not ready to claim he’s the best receiver the Eagles ever had considering they have had several HOF receivers. Also in the minds of some of you Minshew is a "good throwing QB” and Smith caught two passes for 15 yards against one of the worst defenses in football. Carry on with your bs narrative though. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Yeah I like Smith, but after one rookie season I’m not ready to claim he’s the best receiver the Eagles ever had considering they have had several HOF receivers. Also in the minds of some of you Minshew is a "good throwing QB” and Smith caught two passes for 15 yards against one of the worst defenses in football. Carry on with your bs narrative though. 

You’re wrong there. They are not one of the worst defenders in football. They are the worst defense in football. Who were also preparing for Hurts.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

You’re wrong there. They are not one of the worst defenders in football. They are the worst defense in football. Who were also preparing for Hurts.

My bad. 😂🤣😂

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

On a side note this is exactly the type of overreaction stuff I was talking about earlier. I mean people had Fulgham in the HOF after 4 games. Yeah there’s a reason why he was a late round pick, and on a PS squad that didn’t draft him. 

This poor kid is having his career stunted catching passes from Hurts.  Dude prob could have had 4 more TDS this year with another 300 yards of offense if Hurts knew how to read the field.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BornGreen said:

This poor kid is having his career stunted catching passes from Hurts.  Dude prob could have had 4 more TDS this year with another 300 yards of offense if Hurts knew how to read the field.  

eagles-devonta-smith.gif