Devonta Smith discussion: rate his performance

700Level4Life

The way the NFL is now, a 3 wide receiver set is common.

So with all the starters and slot guys, where do you put Smith after his rookie year? 

Top 96? for sure. He's be a viable option in anyone's 3 wide receiver set. 

Top 64? Yes, I think he can start on any team in this league as a viable number 2. 

Too 32? Yes. He's the Eagles number 1 reciever. Certain teams, he'd be the number one for sure. Not every team. But there teams out there that he would be an improvement. 

Top 16?  The sweet 16. Hmmm. At this point, I'd say no.  Perhaps after next year if Hurts grows or another QB like Wilson, Watson, etc etc come here. 

He's a great player, it's going to be fun watching him grow. 

4 minutes ago, 700Level4Life said:

Top 64? Yes, I think he can start on any team in this league as a viable number 2. 

I do not think he cracks the top 32.  There is teams with two, some with 3 WR's right now that are better than him.

Bengals, Chase and Higgins, Vikings, Thielen and Jefferson, Rams, Kupp and Beckham, Seattle, Lockett and DK, TB, Godwin and Evans.  So 5 teams and we already have 10 WR's.  He may be top 32 next year, but he is not right now.

Just now, downundermike said:

I do not think he cracks the top 32.  There is teams with two, some with 3 WR's right now that are better than him.

Bengals, Chase and Higgins, Vikings, Thielen and Jefferson, Rams, Kupp and Beckham, Seattle, Lockett and DK, TB, Godwin and Evans.  So 5 teams and we already have 10 WR's.  He may be top 32 next year, but he is not right now.

I can see that. Top 32 by default, due to being a teams number 1, but overall top 64 sans depth chart. 

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

1 hour ago, 700Level4Life said:

I can see that. Top 32 by default, due to being a teams number 1, but overall top 64 sans depth chart. 

Here is what sucks..... Our #1 is not one of the top 32 WR in the league and after him its bad. real bad. Our next WR on the list would likely fall somewhere after 80..

Our WR room sucks. 

• Like 3

You have to consider he was on a team that started running more and passing less, a QB that wasn't making reads very well, with no real other threat at WR so the defense could take him away.  Plus when they'd get in the red zone they would be running for TDs (especially with a QB who ran for TDs) and threw to Ertz or Goedert. 

Yet he played very well, I don't really recall any mistakes or "rookie moments."  He has a great skill set.  The knock on him was always his size, will the NFL break him.  He played tough, took hits and even got YAC getting contact.  He showed toughness.

As for rankings: (this includes tight ends)

• 29th total yards
  • 41st yards/game
  • 45th receptions
  • 46th TDs

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, What The F said:

Here is what sucks..... Our #1 is not one of the top 32 WR in the league and after him its bad. real bad. Our next WR on the list would likely fall somewhere after 80..

Our WR room sucks. 

I think Smith and Watkins are better than you're saying. The offense became one dimensional once the Botanist figured out the QB wasnt that good to lead an offense with passing as the primary scheme. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 700Level4Life said:

I think Smith and Watkins are better than you're saying. The offense became one dimensional once the Botanist figured out the QB wasnt that good to lead an offense with passing as the primary scheme. 

Are they better? , sure. But we may never know and it might never be proven on the field if we dont have a QB that can show them off.  It might always be a huge question mark. 

1 hour ago, What The F said:

Here is what sucks..... Our #1 is not one of the top 32 WR in the league and after him its bad. real bad.

That's should tell you what I told you guys, he's not a #1 WR.

I'm not sure you can put that on Hurts as I know some of you would like, it would be one thing if Hurts wasn't looking his way but that wasn't the case. you can't really blame it on Hurts because 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, EagleVA said:

That's should tell you what I told you guys, he's not a #1 WR.

I'm not sure you can put that on Hurts as I know some of you would like, it would be one thing if Hurts wasn't looking his way but that wasn't the case. you can't really blame it on Hurts because 

Smith is open more times than he's not. The QB doesn't see him or look his way. It's been documented. By people that cover the league, that have access to game film. 

You can not be serious with that assessment. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 700Level4Life said:

Smith is open more times than he's not. The QB doesn't see him or look his way. It's been documented. By people that cover the league, that have access to game film. 

You can not be serious with that assessment. 

No, I'm serious based on what I saw, if there's film that I wasn't privy to then you could be right.

This is what I saw, most competitions to Smith were bang/bang receptions, ball caught/Smith tackled without any significant RAC.

The bang/bang plays were due to minimal separation, #1 receivers get separation that leads to RAC.

I always question Sirianni when it comes to the offensive side of the ball, it could be that there's a lack of scheming that would lead to pass plays resulting in RAC, not sure, don't know.  What I do know is I saw Smith run a bunch of sideline possession type of routes.

Maybe he is a #1 receiver and they need to go back to the drawing board to see how to best utilize him because I don't think a #1 pick at WR should be used as a possession receiver which is what I saw.

2 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

No, I'm serious based on what I saw, if there's film that I wasn't privy to then you could be right.

This is what I saw, most competitions to Smith were bang/bang receptions, ball caught/Smith tackled without any significant RAC.

The bang/bang plays were due to minimal separation, #1 receivers get separation that leads to RAC.

I always question Sirianni when it comes to the offensive side of the ball, it could be that there's a lack of scheming that would lead to pass plays resulting in RAC, not sure, don't know.  What I do know is I saw Smith run a bunch of sideline possession type of routes.

Maybe he is a #1 receiver and they need to go back to the drawing board to see how to best utilize him because I don't think a #1 pick at WR should be used as a possession receiver which is what I saw.

Or.... maybe.. perhaps... the QB not throwing the WR open, and hitting him late, with bad accuracy...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, blindside said:

Or.... maybe.. perhaps... the QB not throwing the WR open, and hitting him late, with bad accuracy...

We'll see, I wish Devonta the best.

I think he would have been a contender for ROTY with Chase if he had a better QB

I've watched a bunch of the Breaking the Birds breakdown videos and he's been open A LOT all season

He deserves a better QB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lol - I knew this would turn into a Hurts bashing thread. Devonta just broke the Eagles rookie receiving record. In the one meaningful game with Minshew a QB who "sees the field" Smith had 2 catches for 20 yards.

Smith will continue to improve and be a number 1 receiver regardless of who is at QB.

• Like 8

Without going through and looking at all the receivers and ranking them, he is either top-32 already or right on the cusp of it. Pretty good for a rookie wide receiver. You have a bunch of teams which have 2 solid receivers as someone mentioned on this thread but they you also have a bunch of teams which don't have any period - thinking Bears, Jets, Patriots, Browns, Jaguars, Giants, Lions, Saints, Falcons (depending on Ridley situation)

• Like 1

wonder where we would be if we picked Parsons instead... i know we had/have no other wr’s but could you imagine having a LB like him?

He’s really good.

Just now, Cheesteakitis said:

wonder where we would be if we picked Parsons instead... i know we had/have no other wr’s but could you imagine having a LB like him?

We would be the same place we are now … eliminated.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Lol - I knew this would turn into a Hurts bashing thread. Devonta just broke the Eagles rookie receiving record. In the one meaningful game with Minshew a QB who "sees the field" Smith had 2 catches for 20 yards.

Smith will continue to improve and be a number 1 receiver regardless of who is at QB.

Well it's related so...

Also

His opportunities were down because of the offense. He'd have had another 40 to 50 targets in a typical passing offense and have been pushing 1400 yards. He's a legit top 16 if only based on the wow factor of some of his catches.

How is he not top 32? Was 26th in WR receiving yards this year with inconsistent and often really bad QB play. 

On 1/20/2022 at 12:36 PM, NOTW said:

You have to consider he was on a team that started running more and passing less, a QB that wasn't making reads very well, with no real other threat at WR so the defense could take him away.  Plus when they'd get in the red zone they would be running for TDs (especially with a QB who ran for TDs) and threw to Ertz or Goedert. 

Yet he played very well, I don't really recall any mistakes or "rookie moments."  He has a great skill set.  The knock on him was always his size, will the NFL break him.  He played tough, took hits and even got YAC getting contact.  He showed toughness.

As for rankings: (this includes tight ends)

• 29th total yards
  • 41st yards/game
  • 45th receptions
  • 46th TDs

You talk about size.  Valid point.

Why did the Eagles put him at the X spot,  on the offensive line,  as left or right end (split End)?

He's a Back.  a Flanker Back,  a Slot Back,   just, generally,  a guy who does not have to stand on the oline at 170 pounds and have to deal with press man coverage.

He'll be better when he plays off the line of scrimmage,  and he's perfectly good right now.

On 1/21/2022 at 12:07 AM, Devaster said:

He looks like a top-32. He won't realize that potential with Hurts at QB though.

He's already that. 

The Eagles should stop giving snaps to so many not so good WRs (Reagor,  JJAW).
Smith is fine.   Goedert is fine.  Have Goedert at End on one side, and Smith as a Back on the other side.

Well, he was 29th in the NFL in receiving yards as a rookie.  26th amongst WRs.  He was catching passes from one of the worst starting passers in the NFL.  However, several teams had to deal with long stretches of practice squad QB’s this year, so he’s not alone in poor QB play.

He’s clearly a top 32 WR, our #1 WR…although, certainly in the group of lesser “#1’s.”  Better QB play and time may elevate him into another echelon.  

That’s the only question that remains with him.  Will he be a low end #1/high end #2 or can he become a top notch #1?

• Like 3

I think it's pretty difficult to get a good read on any of our receivers given our QB play. How many times did we see Hurts go through his progressions and find an open receiver? Didn't really happen. We basically had designed plays where Hurts would lock in on one target and if that guy wasn't open it was a throw to Goedert or turn it into playground ball where Hurts would try to make something happen with his legs. 

• Like 1