Eagles Release Nate Herbig (UPDATE: Signed with Jets)

pgcd3

Didn't see this one coming

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Didn't see this one coming

Me neither.

And why would we let him walk, he did ok here?

Somewhat of a strange move.  Perhaps they intend to play Jurgens at guard this year … get a year under his belt before moving to center.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Infam said:

Me neither.

And why would we let him walk, he did ok here?

I thought so

Think they did him a favor. They tried to trade him and there were no takers. With so many IOL, it didn't make sense to keep him around a $2.3M/yr. There's no dead money with this release, so all of that money goes into available cap space. 

• Like 6

Sad to see Herbie go. He came along way for an undrafted free agent. Worked his tail off and helped us with depth, made some quality starts. Hope we don't end up regretting this move.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DBW said:

My guess is he gets resigned to the practice squad after nobody picks him up. 

That would be nice.

Kinda dumb if they don't end up signing him back. Guard is a bit of a question mark right now.

• Like 5

Just now, Swoop said:

Kinda dumb if they don't end up signing him back. Guard is a bit of a question mark right now.

I don't think they will

More than meets the eye with this one.  Wouldn't be surprised if there was trouble behind the scenes.

• Like 1

Kinda strange, you like having O line depth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Swoop said:

Seumulo and Dickerson are the starting guards.  Not a question mark in the least.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Procus said:

Seumulo and Dickerson are the starting guards.  Not a question mark in the least.

I think Driscoll has a leg up on Seumalo, but let’s see.

Wouldn’t even fully count out Dillard. 😄

31 minutes ago, Procus said:

Seumalo has played 12 games in the last two years and is coming off of a major injury. Dickerson has an extensive injury history.

So yeah, it's a question mark.

• Like 2

I like Herbig. Certainly more than some other backup lineman on the team e.g. Opeta.

But this will be a relative cap move. $2.3m is a bit. He is no better than #8 or #9 on the pecking order. Mailata, Seumalo, Kelce, Dickerson, Johnson. Then you have Driscoll, Dillard, Jurgens. 

He was serviceable and had a bunch of experience so I’m sure he’ll be picked up. Teams always need linemen but if not I can see him back, especially if we have an injury upfront 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DBW said:

LOL!

Just means Howie made up all the trade rumors

1 hour ago, DBW said:

TBH I’m surprised we couldn’t get at least a late day 3 pick for him.  After all we did manage to get a 6th for Pryor who couldn’t beat him out of a spot here.  I don’t think he’ll have any trouble latching on somewhere … a lot of teams in need of OL.  

• Like 2

Hopefully, Cam Jurgens is everything Kelce thinks he will be. Herbig should have a long career as a starter in this league. It's upsetting that we didn't get something in return for him, but he was stuck on a team with too much talent ahead of him to get playing time outside of injuries. 

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

TBH I’m surprised we couldn’t get at least a late day 3 pick for him.  After all we did manage to get a 6th for Pryor who couldn’t beat him out of a spot here.  I don’t think he’ll have any trouble latching on somewhere … a lot of teams in need of OL.  

Surprises me as well. Will be the salary I guess - teams think they can probably sign him for something a little cheaper.

His experience and the fact that decent OL are always in short supply should mean there is a market for him, even if his upside is limited.

Jurgens/Dillard/Driscoll/Seumalo free for all.

May the best lineman win RG.