Eagles Release Nate Herbig (UPDATE: Signed with Jets)

pgcd3

Bit of a cap saving and I think they are probably happy with the depth we have. Dickerson can play RG, LG and C. Jurgens is the back up C and I guess they could try to train him up at OG. Dillard is still on the roster and there's talk they may try to cross train him at LG. Driscoll has shown he's a pretty good player when healthy. 

16 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Bit of a cap saving and I think they are probably happy with the depth we have. Dickerson can play RG, LG and C. Jurgens is the back up C and I guess they could try to train him up at OG. Dillard is still on the roster and there's talk they may try to cross train him at LG. Driscoll has shown he's a pretty good player when healthy. 

Yep - think they quite like Awosika the UDFA from last year + we also got that guy of Bills PS last year, so they probably think there is sufficient depth particularly when you are talking about back of the bench OL depth.

I guess the worst part is no more Herbig jokes

If Jurgens plays and is great at G, I can't see them moving him to C. There goes that plan...again. 

Well I hope he has a great and long career. He was a great role player and really earned everything he got. As a UDFA he was a excellent eagle

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThinkGreen said:

If Jurgens plays and is great at G, I can't see them moving him to C. There goes that plan...again. 

I can see them move him. Unlike Dickerson he’ll have a tough time there.

Stoutland can do anything, but this is a challenge.

• Like 1

His first game against Washington he was god awful but he was a good backup last year. This looks like a question of price rather than talent, because for me he's way better than Opeta. It's easy to forget Herbig was considered a decent prospect to be drafted until he waddled to the slowest 40 time in the 2019 Combine.

Guess this means we now have the man with the least convincing moustache in football as back up.

n8fueaqywce0paaqoobh.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Infam said:

I can see them move him. Unlike Dickerson he’ll have a tough time there.

Stoutland can do anything, but this is a challenge.

Why do you say this?   Jurgens is the same size as Seumalo.  

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Why do you say this?   Jurgens is the same size as Seumalo.  

Never was a big fan of Seumalo as a starter.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ThinkGreen said:

I can. They have more options at G. Dickerson is 1. The other you have Seumalo, Driscoll so would depend if they see one of them here long term here

10 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

His first game against Washington he was god awful but he was a good backup last year. This looks like a question of price rather than talent, because for me he's way better than Opeta.

I’m with you. Everyone including Eagles is a little tantalised but Opeta’s upside because he is a better athlete. Meanwhile, Herby is just a better player - simple meat and potatoes type of guy who gets an adequate job done. Won’t be a star but certainly will make a nice career for himself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kiwieagle said:

I’m with you. Everyone including Eagles is a little tantalised but Opeta’s upside because he is a better athlete. Meanwhile, Herby is just a better player - simple meat and potatoes type of guy who gets an adequate job done. Won’t be a star but certainly will make a nice career for himself.

Herbig is the poster boy for high floor, low ceiling.

Unusual to let him go. He developed and played well and was not expensive.  I remember he fell out of favor last year.  I think something happened behind the scenes.  My daughter grew up in Hawaii like Herbig and goes to U Wis with his brother.  They are from the Big island. She grew up on Maui but the Hawaii kids hang together there.  I will ask her to ask him what happened, if anything.

5 hours ago, kiwieagle said:

I can. They have more options at G. Dickerson is 1. The other you have Seumalo, Driscoll so would depend if they see one of them here long term here

I think they like Anderson too. 

NFL Network reported that Jets claimed Herbig off waiver.  The team website also reported the waive.

1 hour ago, Penn7980 said:

NFL Network reported that Jets claimed Herbig off waiver.  The team website also reported the waive.

damn it...

I was hoping Eagles will have him in the practice squad.

We know as good as Driscol is, you will only get about 5-6 games out of him a season...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

We know as good as Driscol is, you will only get about 5-6 games out of him a season...

And that's definitely the concern here! He's a good player but in both years with the team he's not been able to stay healthy. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And that's definitely the concern here! He's a good player but in both years with the team he's not been able to stay healthy. 

He’s like the perfect backup. Positional versatility and rock solid play.

56 minutes ago, Infam said:

He’s like the perfect backup. Positional versatility and rock solid play.

Problem is... Right now he's probably their best RG.

On 5/4/2022 at 5:45 PM, kiwieagle said:

So he just might get stuck at guard.

I would've prefered to trade or waive Seumalo, he really hasn't played the last 2 years and makes good $$.  Herbig filled in well at G in his and others injury absencies.