Sick of all this Eagles winning the offseason hype

Procus

On 5/21/2022 at 6:17 PM, brkmsn said:

Actually, all a team has to do is play within themselves. If you need a QB hero to win games, then the rest of your team is a liability.

Yeah, that talent thing is stupid, just play within yourself

A message board is probably not the best place to hang out if positivity about positive moves bothers you…

20 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Nope. Defenses still win championships. Foles, a backup, went toe to toe with an all time great and was actually outperformed statistically, but the game came down to which defense made a key play. You had 2 good QBs last year fighting it out, but in the end, it was the performance by Donald  that made the difference. QBs win MVPs, but defenses still win championships. 

Stafford, Brady, Mahomes, Brady, Foles(while set to God mode), Brady, Manning, Brady, Wilson, Flacco… QBs of the last 10 SB winners. It’s not a coincidence that the vast majority of those are elite QBs. Foles and Flacco are the exceptions, though Foles was absolutely playing at an elite level in that run. 

Can’t win a SB without getting there first, and having a top tier QB is the way to do it. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, nipples said:

Can’t win a SB without getting there first, and having a top tier QB is the way to do it. 

It's a way, currently the popular way, but not the only way. Back when Andy Reid was was our coach, he tried to prove that unbalanced, pass-heavy offenses could win it all. Though time and time again, it was balanced offenses that seemed to come out on top as those have a benefit to the team's defense as well. Elway went to the Super Bowl 3 times (early) and his team's lack of a running threat and defense did them in at the end. Late in his career, a running game and defense carried him to success. While league trends have certainly shifted to favor Andy Reid's approach in the last decade+. FBs have all but disappeared and 3 WR sets are base sets on offense. Defenses have countered by getting smaller, and faster and base defense now have 5 DBs instead of 4. It's just a matter of time before we see a shift in trends as more teams take advantage of defenses built to stop pass-heavy teams.

• Like 1

Seemed like at one time for at least 5-6 seasons the Skins won the off-season and most of the time they finished in last place. We don’t know how this team will mesh just yet. 

How about we let people get excited if they want to be because it's sports and it's not that serious. And people who want to be hyped, be hyped, and if people don't want to be, then don't. But telling other people how they should feel about a team is lame.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think the Eagles had a great offseason, but many other teams did as well. The Broncos, Dolphins, Colts, Raiders, Browns could all get this year's offseason crown. IMO, the hype feels stronger because it's the team we support, but the fans of all these others have a similar feeling.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, beto_eagles said:

I think the Eagles had a great offseason, but many other teams did as well. The Broncos, Dolphins, Colts, Raiders, Browns could all get this year's offseason crown. IMO, the hype feels stronger because it's the team we support, but the fans of all these others have a similar feeling.  

Well said.  Hype like this, especially for a young team, can be a problem with enhanced expectations and sometimes leads to a letdown.  I like it much better when the Eagles are overlooked.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2022 at 6:25 AM, nipples said:

Stafford, Brady, Mahomes, Brady, Foles(while set to God mode), Brady, Manning, Brady, Wilson, Flacco… QBs of the last 10 SB winners. It’s not a coincidence that the vast majority of those are elite QBs. Foles and Flacco are the exceptions, though Foles was absolutely playing at an elite level in that run. 

We spend so much time worrying about franchise QBs and the three teams in our area that have won SBs in the last couple decades won them with Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, Eli Manning and Nick Foles.

Life is so weird.

Eagles haven't won anything yet.

Gonna need to beat the Cowboys.

That's week 6 and 16.

Playoffs?

Gonna need to throw the ball.

If we can't throw the ball, it's over.

• Like 1

Off-season was great, gave fans hope BUT I think it has swung too far.

The team definitely improved, but in most areas it went from below average to average/slightly above average. The team still has to prove that it has players that can be elite at their position. For example, Mailata might be top five of OTs, but not sure who else would be there? I think other guys can get there, but compared to the top teams we do not have those elite game changers at multiple positions.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kentwo said:

The team definitely improved, but in most areas it went from below average to average/slightly above average. The team still has to prove that it has players that can be elite at their position. For example, Mailata might be top five of OTs, but not sure who else would be there? I think other guys can get there, but compared to the top teams we do not have those elite game changers at multiple positions.

I'm not sure I'd agree there my friend. 

AJ Brown completely changes the complex of the WR room. He pushes Smith to #2 and Watkins to #3. That's a really good trio especially given you'd think Smith will improve in year two. Then Pascal and Ward give you solid reliable options as your #4 and #5.

In the secondary they upgraded over Nelson. Safety remains a question mark but every team has that at certain positions. 

Along the front 7 they added a really good pass rusher in Reddick. His numbers over the last 3 years are right up there. Then they added to the LB group and they added a stud DT in the draft. I mean sure some of this is projection for the rookies but based on projection there's massive potential. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

AJ Brown completely changes the complex of the WR room. He pushes Smith to #2 and Watkins to #3. That's a really good trio especially given you'd think Smith will improve in year two. Then Pascal and Ward give you solid reliable options as your #4 and #5.

In the secondary they upgraded over Nelson. Safety remains a question mark but every team has that at certain positions. 

Along the front 7 they added a really good pass rusher in Reddick. His numbers over the last 3 years are right up there. Then they added to the LB group and they added a stud DT in the draft. I mean sure some of this is projection for the rookies but based on projection there's massive potential. 

I'm still not completely sold on AJ Brown. Love the trade for a WR though. Brown hasn't had a season over 1075 receiving yards. I always felt like his production never matched his talent. He hasn't been a dominant #1. Blame Derrick Henry for that and the Titans ground game approach, but I never saw AJ Brown elevate the passing game and force teams to focus on him as well as Henrry. I would actually say Smith is going to be a #1B, with the possibility of Smith actually usurping the traded for Brown.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kentwo said:

On paper - and that's a big caveat - I think the Eagles are better than that.  On both lines, the Eagles are above average, maybe elite.  The linebacking corps is now an average to above average unit.  The defensive backfield - same.  Skill positions are above average.  The big wild card is the QB and whether he can step up his game.  As well, the coaching staff needs to demonstrate it can handle the ups and downs of the season, as well as tight game.

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I agree, I think all those units got better, but not sure if they have individual players that would be considered elite or if the unit is just full of average/above average players. Don't get me wrong, that is a great improvement, but I'm not sure if it is enough to pencil the birds in as one of the top teams in the NFL. Maybe I just gotta see the play on the field first.

For example, last season, besides the other good players the Rams had, they also had elite players in Kupp, Donald, Miller, Ramsey. While I think the Eagle's units (other than safety) got better as a whole, is it a case of below average becoming average? Or average becoming great? Are there players that take the next step and become big time game changers?

There are a bunch of unknowns about the team at this time, but one thing for sure is that Eagle's fans are not lacking is optimism.

1 hour ago, Procus said:

On paper - and that's a big caveat - I think the Eagles are better than that.  On both lines, the Eagles are above average, maybe elite.  The linebacking corps is now an average to above average unit.  The defensive backfield - same.  Skill positions are above average.  The big wild card is the QB and whether he can step up his game.  As well, the coaching staff needs to demonstrate it can handle the ups and downs of the season, as well as tight game.

I think we can pencil the Oline in as elite or at least close to it.

Dline? Gotta wait and see. BG probably is not what he used to be at his age and coming off a horrendous injury for a player that relies on that first step. Fletch isn't the elite guy he used to be. Davis? Can he play enough snaps? Will he be as disruptive as people expect? Reddick is definitely above average at rushing the passer, but can he be more in Gannon's system? Sweat has shown he is above average, but is he a top DE?

CBs and Offensive skill positions definitely above average.

You are right that it all hinges on QB play. Great play at that position can elevate the offensive positions to an elite level. Like how Stafford helped a great WR become the best in the league. That in turn may help the defense be more aggressive as teams may need to change game script (although, Gannon has shown a propensity to play it safe regardless of game script.)

Hopefully, players can take the next step, but Hurts is the key.

On 5/21/2022 at 3:26 PM, Procus said:

Look, I'm not complaining about the moves the team made this offseason.  Some really commendable maneuvers by Howie et al.    But every year, there is some team - usually a team like the Browns - who kill it during the offseason, generate a ton of hype, and lay an egg once the regular season starts.

How bout we slow down on the hype and see how the team plays before declaring us the NFC rep in the SB.

Sure, let's not be optimistic of happy the off-season has been successful. We might be that team (are you rooting for the negative?) but let's enjoy the positive vibes the team is generating. 

Procus - I've been reading your stuff for years and enjoyed most of it, but recently it sems you've become a bit of a curmudgeon.

I was excited about the off season moves. I was also excited about the Phil's off season moves. So yeah....I've been trying to keep my excitement in check until the season starts.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

Sure, let's not be optimistic of happy the off-season has been successful. We might be that team (are you rooting for the negative?) but let's enjoy the positive vibes the team is generating.

Never said I'm rooting for the negative.  I have noticed through the years though that when there is a groundswell of excitement and anticipation for the team for a particular year, it's often met with disappointment as the season unfolds.  On the other hand, the Eagles of late have had some awfully good years when they were least expected to.

I like the off season moves and hope the team reflects this with its play on the field.  But all this TALK of a Super Bowl appearance is not good.  Let's see if Hurts can win a playoff game first.

Signed T.O. SB appearance 

Signed Jeffery SB win

Signed Brown TBD

We have a pretty favorable schedule too, on paper... This season is gonna come down to health, Gannon and Hurts.

If hype bothers someone, there is nothing easier than not turning on the radio, reading and article or watching a Philly based sports show. Those people are going to do the jobs they are being paid for and since there are not many actual football activities going on they need to talk about something.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2022 at 2:38 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Exactly! I like the moves, I give credit to Howie for what he's done but right now that's all on paper. In previous years he's made moves that I haven't liked that have worked out so until we see the results on the field we don't know for sure.

So far to me prior to this Howie has had two notable off-seasons. The first was the "dream team” off-season where for two years that roster went nowhere and imploded. The second was 2017 where he loaded up on free agents and won a Super Bowl. This feels like the third notable off-season and time will tell if it were dream team version two or the development of a really good football team. In any case all the off-season hype is due to the fact there isn’t much else to discuss, but it also has overshadowed the major overhaul the Eagles did in their front office. If the Eagles stood Pat and did nothing that would be the main story and I think that story would come off far worse especially in the media. 

• Like 1

At least it looks good on paper. Can you imagine if it DIDN'T even look good on paper? We have had that before. I'm grateful for small miracles.🤣

I will say it IS all over-hyped. Hopefully, the team lives up to some of the hype and all is well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Talonblood said:

At least it looks good on paper. Can you imagine if it DIDN'T even look good on paper? We have had that before. I'm grateful for small miracles.🤣

I will say it IS all over-hyped. Hopefully, the team lives up to some of the hype and all is well.

Its a great point actually. I mean at this time of year every team has hopes and dreams. No teams have lost a game at this time of year so every fan dreams of something special. But there are a lot of teams that realistically are not going to achieve a lot. Bad teams, teams with very clear holes. And right now I don't think we are one of them. 

• Like 1