OC Steichen takes over full-time play-calling duties under Nick Sirianni for 2022

time2rock

Reportedly Steichen is being given the reigns to call the offense in 2022 - Sirianni has handed over full-time play-calling duties to the OC.  Interesting little twist as we enter year 2 of the Sirianni era.  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-shane-steichen-takes-over-full-time-play-calling-duties-under-nick-sirianni-for-2022/

• Haha 1

So are we going to be a run first team now? That's what we ended up being in the 2nd half of the schedule

Also I can already hear the new excuses for Hurts

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

So are we going to be a run first team now? That's what we ended up being in the 2nd half of the schedule

JFC only took 1 post.  Why does everything have to be about Hurts to some of you?!?!  Give it a rest for a thread or 2.  :rolleyes:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, time2rock said:

JFC only took 2 posts.  Why does everything have to be about Hurts to some of you?!?!  Give it a rest for a thread or 2.  :rolleyes:

He's the starting QB of the damn team. Anything to do with the offense is about him :roll:

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

He called the plays the 2nd half of last year so this is just a continuation.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Yes and we were a run first team basically in the 2nd half

49 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

He's the starting QB of the damn team. Anything to do with the offense is about him :roll:

Stop being logical. It upsets the Hurts fans.

• Like 2

People have a misconception about play calling. Most of that work is already done during the week when they're game planning. Most of it on gameday is a formality. And if I'm remembering correctly, Steichen is in the booth, which is something they probably like for the play caller.

Also, don't think the Eagles became a run heavy team because Steichen became the main play caller. That's a philosophy and major scheme change. Two coaches on the same team wouldn't call the game (play calling) that differently.

• Like 2

The question I have is:

Does Gannon call his Defense more agresssively?

So if we win the SB this year (wishful thinking) Steichen will be giving all the credit, lol.

1 minute ago, Mr_Philly said:

So if we win the SB this year (wishful thinking) Steichen will be giving all the credit, lol.

Julian Lurie will be MVP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mr_Philly said:

So if we win the SB this year (wishful thinking) Carson Strong will be giving all the credit, lol.

FYP

Gardner Minshew can't get no love.

Why not Minshew for MVP?

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

Yes and we were a run first team basically in the 2nd half

That's correct.  The team led the NFL in rushing.  With adding Brown at WR and Smith entering his 2nd year there is no excuse not to have an improved passing game and there are no excuses for Hurts.  The roster has the potential to have a balanced offense, so we'll see what they put together.

1 hour ago, Diehardfan said:

Stop being logical. It upsets the Hurts fans.

I’ve been plenty critical of Hurts (feel free to look through past posts for confirmation).  It’s just annoying AF when some of you find it impossible to discuss any topic without immediately turning it into a Hurts bashing thread. I’ve acknowledged plenty that he needs to show significant improvement if we want a chance to be a legit contender.  Some of you act as though it is impossible for him to improve.  You guys need your own "Hurts Hater” thread dedicated just to bashing him.  

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I’ve been plenty critical of Hurts (feel free to look through past posts for confirmation).  It’s just annoying AF when some of you find it impossible to discuss any topic without immediately turning it into a Hurts bashing thread. I’ve acknowledged plenty that he needs to show significant improvement if we want a chance to be a legit contender.  Some of you act as though it is impossible for him to improve.  You guys need your own "Hurts Hater” thread dedicated just to bashing him.  

This is the primary reason why I hardly visit this message board any more. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

Really? And here I was giving Siri credit. 

15 hours ago, NOTW said:

Interesting … I didn’t realize that.  I’ve been on record all offseason saying I did not want to be such a run heavy team just to cover up deficiencies in Hurts’s passing game.  I want to see more of a balanced attack.  If he is struggling I’d sooner see them continue to force Hurts to pass and see if he can work out his kinks even if it means failing to make the playoffs this year.  The biggest focus this upcoming season should be getting a complete evaluation on Hurts (in particular in his abilities to read defenses, go through his progressions, throw with anticipation and accurately, etc.) to know if he should be the guy moving forward or if we need to address QB next offseason.  I can’t say I have a ton of confidence that he will play to the level that provides a firm answer to that question but I also recognize that the possibly does indeed exist.  I probably give him 25-30% chance at succeeding.  

I think the biggest mistake would be to hand him a massive contract extension if he shows only marginal improvement and we still have a ton of questions about him next offseason.  If that were to be the case, I’d sooner use our draft capital to acquire someone new and restart the evaluation process.  Meanwhile we get to enjoy the benefit of playing a QB on a (relatively) cheap rookie contract allowing us to continue to address other areas of the roster.  

5 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

That's great news. It's about time! The excusers have been losing more and more ground to the complainers who have already been complaining about Hurts' 2022 regular season season (for months now) and even his 2nd playoff appearance where he will surely be exposed as the liability he really is after getting carried through the regular season on the backs of an improved defense, while benefiting from one of the NFL's easiest schedules. 

2 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Really? And here I was giving Siri credit. 

55 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Interesting … I didn’t realize that.  

It's in the first paragraph of the link you provided B-)

Sirianni suggested late in 2021 that he and Steichen had shared the responsibility for much of their first season in Philadelphia, but Steichen clarified this week that he became the primary play-caller about midway through last season.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, NOTW said:

It's in the first paragraph of the link you provided B-)

TBH I actually didn’t even read it I just posted.  Wasn’t trying to be lazy but mom passed away 2 days ago so I have been spending so much time on the phone with hospice, the cemetery, the funeral home, making arrangements, getting in touch with family, etc.  I’ve really only been popping in here and there looking to give my mind an escape from all of this.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

TBH I actually didn’t even read it I just posted.  Wasn’t trying to be lazy but mom passed away 2 days ago so I have been spending so much time on the phone with hospice, the cemetery, the funeral home, making arrangements, getting in touch with family, etc.  I’ve really only been popping in here and there looking to give my mind an escape from all of this.  

I'm sorry to hear man. I've been there, my Mom was in hospice also, died 3 years ago. You've got a lot on your mind and need time to grieve. Praying for your family. 

• Like 4

Doesn't make sense for anybody on the sidelines calling plays when they can see all heck. Calling from the booth makes more sense. Now all we need is a good power back.

8 hours ago, time2rock said:

Reportedly Steichen is being given the reigns to call the offense in 2022 - Sirianni has handed over full-time play-calling duties to the OC.  Interesting little twist as we enter year 2 of the Sirianni era.  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-shane-steichen-takes-over-full-time-play-calling-duties-under-nick-sirianni-for-2022/

The really interesting part is where Sirianni seemingly said it in passing that he actually handed over the play calling duties halfway through last season.  I don't remember that ever being reported.  Steichen might be the second coming of Frank Reich.  Both came from SD as not so highly regarded OCs.  Sirianni is certainly the second coming of Doug with his goofy aloofness when talking with the press.