OC Steichen takes over full-time play-calling duties under Nick Sirianni for 2022

time2rock

7 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

So are we going to be a run first team now? That's what we ended up being in the 2nd half of the schedule

Also I can already hear the new excuses for Hurts

Wins do not require excuses.   Running QBs get wins, with their running and a variety of different levels of passing.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ThinkGreen said:

Now all we need is a good power back.

2007 Select Autographs Gold Zone #407 Nate Ilaoa/40 - F64 - NM-MT - Big Mac  Sportscards | Beckett Marketplace

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CouchKing said:

The question I have is:

Does Gannon call his Defense more agresssively?

Assuming he keeps the corners in zone, they’re gonna have to get to the QB a lot more than last year. 
 If the defense stays relatively healthy there’s no excuse why they can’t be top 10 in pressures and sacks. Much like Hurts, Gannon has no excuses.  

7 hours ago, time2rock said:

I’ve been plenty critical of Hurts (feel free to look through past posts for confirmation).  It’s just annoying AF when some of you find it impossible to discuss any topic without immediately turning it into a Hurts bashing thread. I’ve acknowledged plenty that he needs to show significant improvement if we want a chance to be a legit contender.  Some of you act as though it is impossible for him to improve.  You guys need your own "Hurts Hater” thread dedicated just to bashing him.  

Do you actually think he can reach whatever milestone you have set for him to be the future of the team?

Also what milestone do you have for the QB of the future for us?

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

TBH I actually didn’t even read it I just posted.  Wasn’t trying to be lazy but mom passed away 2 days ago so I have been spending so much time on the phone with hospice, the cemetery, the funeral home, making arrangements, getting in touch with family, etc.  I’ve really only been popping in here and there looking to give my mind an escape from all of this.  

Sorry about your loss. Prayers going out to you and family. 🙏🏻

• Like 1

Definitely need to give Siri credit in this regard.  If he saw what he was doing wasn’t working and was willing to admit that his play calling tendencies were failing enough to merit handing them off, that’s a good thing.  Better than stubbornly keeping the clipboard, tanking the team and losing his job, for sure.  

Hopefully, that end of season dynamic continues and we see similar results, and Hurts’ timing/passing confidence improve in the obvious places to make the weapons he now has effective when we need him to air it out.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, time2rock said:

Reportedly Steichen is being given the reigns to call the offense in 2022 - Sirianni has handed over full-time play-calling duties to the OC.  Interesting little twist as we enter year 2 of the Sirianni era.  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-shane-steichen-takes-over-full-time-play-calling-duties-under-nick-sirianni-for-2022/

I will give respect to Nick for this move. To understand someone might be better at something and making the best decision for the team to succeed.

This is how Doug failed after Frank left. Doug refused to give up any main responsibilities of the offense. 

Well more so the game planning and scripting of the plays. Doug never believed in scripting and we saw once Frank took over those roles what the result was. Once Frank was gone we went from the best offense in the league to below avg. Under Franks game plans/scripting(Which in sense is play calling) this team was top in the league in first half points scored. Under Doug we had the dead last first half points and always playing catch up in the second half. 

I always felt Doug was a good Head Coach but a poor offensive coach. If Doug did what Nick was doing now, Doug would still be here today and it wouldnt surprise me if we had at least another SB appearance. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, time2rock said:

TBH I actually didn’t even read it I just posted.  Wasn’t trying to be lazy but mom passed away 2 days ago so I have been spending so much time on the phone with hospice, the cemetery, the funeral home, making arrangements, getting in touch with family, etc.  I’ve really only been popping in here and there looking to give my mind an escape from all of this.  

🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾

21 hours ago, time2rock said:

I’ve been plenty critical of Hurts (feel free to look through past posts for confirmation).  It’s just annoying AF when some of you find it impossible to discuss any topic without immediately turning it into a Hurts bashing thread. I’ve acknowledged plenty that he needs to show significant improvement if we want a chance to be a legit contender.  Some of you act as though it is impossible for him to improve.  You guys need your own "Hurts Hater” thread dedicated just to bashing him.  

Screw Hurts. He deserves to be criticized until he is gone. The guy is a RB playing QB who can't read a defense or progress through targets. If we are talking the team this year his name will come up. People will have to deal with it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Really? And here I was giving Siri credit. 

He deserves credit for allocating resources to creating the rushing offense. 

Yeah I heard about this on the radio the other day. I think it was after the loss to the Raiders that the switch was made.

Credit to Nick for recognizing that someone else might be better at it than he is. 

It's pretty common for the OC to call plays while the HC focuses on the entire game plan overall.  As someone said earlier, a lot of it is game planning during the week and knowing what they want to do in different situations and being on the same page.

The DC always calls the defensive plays and no one ever questions why the HC doesn't call them, the focus is only on offensive play calling.  

On 6/3/2022 at 8:30 PM, time2rock said:

I'm sorry for your loss brother. 

On 6/3/2022 at 8:30 PM, time2rock said:

mom passed away 2 days ago so I have been spending so much time on the phone with hospice, the cemetery, the funeral home, making arrangements, getting in touch with family, etc.  I’ve really only been popping in here and there looking to give my mind an escape from all of this.  

Ugh. Sorry for your loss. 

I absolutely dread the day/s that will come when my parents pass on. 

38 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

Take advantage of the time with them, you will miss them.  

• Like 3

Overall I don’t see it as a bad thing. Sirianni wasn’t doing a good job as they playcaller when he had the job anyway. 

On 6/6/2022 at 12:42 PM, LacesOut said:

On 6/6/2022 at 1:21 PM, NOTW said:

Take advantage of the time with them, you will miss them.  

Thanks and spot on NOTW.  Dad passed away 40 years ago ... still think about him every day.  This was one super tough.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Overall I don’t see it as a bad thing. Sirianni wasn’t doing a good job as they playcaller when he had the job anyway. 

You know this doesn't have to be about Siri being bad at calling plays. Maybe he wants his offensive coordinator into position to be a head coach as well and giving him the work. Or Siri doesn't have a big head and thinks his coach does a great job with it and wants to worry about the situational game calling since he struggled there. 

9 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

You know this doesn't have to be about Siri being bad at calling plays. Maybe he wants his offensive coordinator into position to be a head coach as well and giving him the work. Or Siri doesn't have a big head and thinks his coach does a great job with it and wants to worry about the situational game calling since he struggled there. 

But he and the team did struggle while he was calling plays. Siri didn’t call plays in Indy either. To me he seems better as a motivator than play caller and maybe this frees him up some to design better plays for the offense. Season one he just looked like an overwhelmed coach that beat up on bad teams. People are so focused on Hurts, but they’re failing to see that Sirianni has as much pressure on himself too. 

11 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

FYP

I think he was doing a great job. If you watch the all 22 you can see guys flying open all over the place.

BUT, he had a QB who couldnt read a defense, and couldnt throw to the left side of the field so it was all for not. 

Then he didn’t do a good job. His job is to understand the talent he has. If his quarterback is failing to make play, but he keeps calling for him to keep throwing it he screwed up. Just like if Jalen Reagor is out there dropping passes and running out of bounds before he makes a catch you don’t keep running plays for him to do the same stupid things. That’s what coaching is. It’s his job to understand the limitations of his players and play to their strengths. He didn’t do that. His job is to win football games and not to appease all 22 fanboys. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

But he and the team did struggle while he was calling plays. Siri didn’t call plays in Indy either. To me he seems better as a motivator than play caller and maybe this frees him up some to design better plays for the offense. Season one he just looked like an overwhelmed coach that beat up on bad teams. People are so focused on Hurts, but they’re failing to see that Sirianni has as much pressure on himself too. 

Leave him alone!

9 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Andy Reid has giving up play calling duties at times during his career too. I don't think there is much to read into yet. Other than fans wanting to stir sheet up cause that's all you people do over every single move. Which is probably why I don't post in here much anymore. 

I'm glad they beat up on bad teams, if they struggled and lost to bad teams I would be worried. 

On 6/15/2022 at 5:21 AM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Andy Reid has giving up play calling duties at times during his career too. I don't think there is much to read into yet. Other than fans wanting to stir sheet up cause that's all you people do over every single move. Which is probably why I don't post in here much anymore. 

I'm glad they beat up on bad teams, if they struggled and lost to bad teams I would be worried. 

There are some coaches who just don’t call plays, but are still very good coaches. I think it’s still too early to say Sirianni is a good or bad coach just yet. I’m sure of this team is off to a bad offensive start at some point he may have no choice but to take over play calling. In the end what matters most is wins and losses. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2022 at 8:27 AM, Bacarty2 said:

See thats what differs between you and I. this isnt 8 year old rec league.  He went out thinking he had a QB. A highly drafted QB and wanted to use a QB as he should.

It showed me that 1) NS can call plays and scheme plays in TODAYS NFL and 2) Hurts BLOWS.

I would of rather us gone 4-13 last year, getting a higher pick and sticking with a real offense then running a college offense cause our QB blows and getting embarrassed in the playoffs

"Hurts blows! Waaaahhhhh!” Funny Hurts "blows” so much the play caller that you’re defending still has him as his quarterback. 🤦🏾‍♂️ You guys get so rooted in your hate that you don’t even realize this is a serious contradiction. I’ll add you same guys completely trashed Pederson (you know the guy who actually won the super bowl) and wanting him canned instead of the quarterback who kept giving the ball to the other team after throwing, and throwing, and throwing games away. There was a game where Sirianni gave the ball to Miles Sanders three times. That’s not smart coaching especially when you have a quarterback who at the time was clearly better with his legs than his arm, and if he "went out thinking” that Hurts was a quarterback who should be throwing the ball that many times at his level well again he’s a fool and clearly wasn’t ready to be a head coach, because he’s the only person in the world who thought that nonsense.