OC Steichen takes over full-time play-calling duties under Nick Sirianni for 2022

time2rock

34 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

There are some coaches who just don’t call plays, but are still very good coaches. I think it’s still too early to say Sirianni is a good or bad coach just yet. I’m sure of this team is off to a bad offensive start at some point he may have no choice but to take over play calling. In the end what matters most is wins and losses. 

Agreed, funny I thought I deleted this response because I didn't feel like arguing about it lol. I guess I didn't lol

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Agreed, funny I thought I deleted this response because I didn't feel like arguing about it lol. I guess I didn't lol

Ultimately I don’t think it’s a big deal that he isn’t calling plays, but I can’t say he did a good job calling plays when the Eagles we’re losing football games and barely beating bad teams when he was in charge of play calling. 

28 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Ultimately I don’t think it’s a big deal that he isn’t calling plays, but I can’t say he did a good job calling plays when the Eagles we’re losing football games and barely beating bad teams when he was in charge of play calling. 

Obviously there was a change in philosophy mid season how much of the start of the season was his plans or what lurie wanted from him we will never know. Siri may have more influence on the passing game then the running. It doesn't take a genius to run the ball that's old school sheet

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Obviously there was a change in philosophy mid season how much of the start of the season was his plans or what lurie wanted from him we will never know. Siri may have more influence on the passing game then the running. It doesn't take a genius to run the ball that's old school sheet

There has to be balance more in the 60-40 range. Can’t be a run only team nor can they just chuck it 40 times a game and expect to win. I expect this year we will see much more passing with better receivers and reports of Hurts improvement. Overall I feel like the biggest and most important improvement will be in this defense though. I don’t care who the quarterback is. If the defense is giving up 80% plus completion percentages to average to great quarterbacks the team is going to struggle to win games. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

I'm one of those people who wanted Doug Canned. The play calling went to trash so did our offensive numbers and our likely MVP QB when Reich and Defillippo. left.

Hurts blows. He cant read a defense. Tampa showed us that. Tampa  TOLD us that. Having Hurts the 2nd round pick is why heres still here. Nothing more nothing less. If he was a UDFA and played like that. He's gone. Even if he was a 5th or 6th round guy, he's gone. But Howie made a bold move with drafting him way too high and thats why heres our QB and NS is stuck with him. 

It was crystal clear: A 23 year old in his first full season lost to Brady in the playoffs. Nothing spells trash like that!

Funny how the same people then go out of their way to celebrate the mighty Dak even though he had years of experience and arguably a better team but I guess that‘s beside the point.

I was bummed about that game too, matter of fact it was the first time I really had doubts about Hurts. But to act like we now KNOW if he‘s the guy or not is just ignorance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2022 at 11:17 AM, Bacarty2 said:

If you watch him throw a football, you know NOW, he's not the guy. 

This must be the prove it year for Hurts. This O is more talented than we've ever had. In fact, I wouldn't even give him a full year. I'd give him the first three games to prove he's the guy. If he stinks it up... Then throw in Strong for the Jags and on...

• Like 2

On 6/15/2022 at 1:54 AM, EazyEaglez said:

But he and the team did struggle while he was calling plays. Siri didn’t call plays in Indy either. To me he seems better as a motivator than play caller and maybe this frees him up some to design better plays for the offense. Season one he just looked like an overwhelmed coach that beat up on bad teams. People are so focused on Hurts, but they’re failing to see that Sirianni has as much pressure on himself too. 

I wouldn‘t even say that he‘s just not the right man for it. He‘s the youngest HC and he has no experience calling plays.

Maybe he just needs time. Still to hand it over to someone else deserves some respect.

I‘ll admit if I was in his shoes I might never hand that over no matter the results. 

On 6/30/2022 at 12:04 PM, Infam said:

I wouldn‘t even say that he‘s just not the right man for it. He‘s the youngest HC and he has no experience calling plays.

Maybe he just needs time. Still to hand it over to someone else deserves some respect.

I‘ll admit if I was in his shoes I might never hand that over no matter the results. 

Because of his youth it’s too early to say what he is or will be as a coach right now anyways. Early success doesn’t mean he’s going to be good either. For as much credit people have given Lurie for his coaching hires and all of their early success it should be noted also that most of those guys also fizzled out fairly quickly other than Reid too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Because of his youth it’s too early to say what he is or will be as a coach right now anyways. Early success doesn’t mean he’s going to be good either. For as much credit people have given Lurie for his coaching hires and all of their early success it should be noted also that most of those guys also fizzled out fairly quickly other than Reid too. 

Don't like Doug?

6 hours ago, Infam said:

Don't like Doug?

Doug lasted 5 years. Not exactly a main stay though I didn’t think he should have been fired. 

17 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Doug lasted 5 years. Not exactly a main stay though I didn’t think he should have been fired. 

Even though he led us to our first Lombardi, I wasn't sad to see him go.  He wasn't the offensive genius many made him out to be.  He was stubborn and set in his ways as it relates to calling an offense.  And his hiring decisions were terrible.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

Even though he led us to our first Lombardi, I wasn't sad to see him go.  He wasn't the offensive genius many made him out to be.  He was stubborn and set in his ways as it relates to calling an offense.  And his hiring decisions were terrible.  

I like Doug as a person and some of his qualities as a coach. Where I had a problem with him was in 2020. Things weren't going our way in regard to injuries. There was little continuity anywhere on the team. Players that could play were playing out of familiar positions due to necessity. His franchise QB was struggling to carry a bad team through the adversity. Early on, Doug was very supportive of Wentz despite the outside criticisms. There's no doubt in my mind that Doug was asking Wentz to "play hero ball" and hope for the best. In 2019, we also were hit hard with injuries and in December, Wentz put the team on his back and they managed to salvage a post-season appearance. Back to 2020 ... it's unlikely that team would amount to much, but the postseason was very much on the line. The decision to bench Wentz after halftime and then change to an up-tempo offense gave the false impression that the benching provided a "spark." The "up-tempo" play-calling was our go-to adjustment. In the end, we didn't just bench Wentz for some "coachable moment," we replaced him for the remainder of the season with the division title and a playoff berth on the line. For a head coach famous for fearlessness, I thought that was a totally out-of-character, gutless move. Either the call came from above and he capitulated or he was throwing Wentz under the bus. Either way, he ended up losing his job. A fearless coach would have told the FO to step back and let me win (or lose) my way. A fearless coach would have shown trust in the guy that carried the team the previous December. 

9 hours ago, time2rock said:

Well he saved reich from being fired after they hired him after year one. Then he went with groh and they were the ones that made him deal with 30 offensive coordinators In 2020. He wanted to stick with his guys last season so they fired him, so not sure exactly what hires he actually made? He didn't really have control over any of it except 2019 when he stuck with what he had again. 

12 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Well he saved reich from being fired after they hired him after year one. Then he went with groh and they were the ones that made him deal with 30 offensive coordinators In 2020. He wanted to stick with his guys last season so they fired him, so not sure exactly what hires he actually made? He didn't really have control over any of it except 2019 when he stuck with what he had again. 

You're forgetting Walch.  

9 minutes ago, time2rock said:

You're forgetting Walch.  

Well yeah I know he wanted to retain him. Wentz really liked him though too. 

On 7/4/2022 at 9:12 AM, time2rock said:

Well I would have liked to see him get another year, but my overall point was that Lurie’s hires generally don’t last very long and it’s too early to tell what kind of coach Sirianni will be. 

On 7/5/2022 at 7:00 AM, EazyEaglez said:

Well I would have liked to see him get another year, but my overall point was that Lurie’s hires generally don’t last very long and it’s too early to tell what kind of coach Sirianni will be. 

I would have liked to have seen what would have happened if Wentz started the week after the "benching." If he could have responded with another strong December, the team could have built off overcoming adversity. Instead we created unnecessary drama and controversy with our remaining games. 

What happened, happened, though. Now it somebody else's turn at HC, OC, DC, QB, etc... While we have what we have, we might as well root for them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I would have liked to have seen what would have happened if Wentz started the week after the "benching." If he could have responded with another strong December, the team could have built off overcoming adversity. Instead we created unnecessary drama and controversy with our remaining games. 

What happened, happened, though. Now it somebody else's turn at HC, OC, DC, QB, etc... While we have what we have, we might as well root for them. 

Yes, root for the Eagles. But we are in a rebuild.

What happened with Wentz imploding / being traded and Pederson being fired was a disaster, a trainwreck.

Just because Hurts is here doesn't mean he's the answer.

Meanwhile, Howie is also trying to unscew the cap (which I firmly have not studied and do not understand right now). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Knowing Doug it would have been more 70/30 pass run ratios that went nowhere. Also there is no chance 2020 Wentz would have beaten the Saints. My guess the Eagles have the same record and we get the same results with one change. Wentz likely doesn’t ask for a trade and is allowed 2021 with Sirianni. From that point who knows what happens, but I can’t see the 2021 Eagles fairing much better than what they did with Hurts anyway. 

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Knowing Doug it would have been more 70/30 pass run ratios that went nowhere. Also there is no chance 2020 Wentz would have beaten the Saints. My guess the Eagles have the same record and we get the same results with one change. Wentz likely doesn’t ask for a trade and is allowed 2021 with Sirianni. From that point who knows what happens, but I can’t see the 2021 Eagles fairing much better than what they did with Hurts anyway. 

As I said, I would have liked to have seen what would have happened. I'm not here to dwell on the past, though. What happened turned out to be an opportunity for Hurts and Sirianni. While many fans remain skeptical, the Eagles did improve last season. Let the naysayers cry about how our wins came against teams without winning records (at the conclusion of the season). But we weren't supposed to win half those games. When you begin the season in the late 20s in power rankings, you aren't expected to end up winning 9 games or be in a position to rest your starters in game 17 for a postseason appearance. 

• Like 2

On 7/8/2022 at 6:59 PM, brkmsn said:

As I said, I would have liked to have seen what would have happened. I'm not here to dwell on the past, though. What happened turned out to be an opportunity for Hurts and Sirianni. While many fans remain skeptical, the Eagles did improve last season. Let the naysayers cry about how our wins came against teams without winning records (at the conclusion of the season). But we weren't supposed to win half those games. When you begin the season in the late 20s in power rankings, you aren't expected to end up winning 9 games or be in a position to rest your starters in game 17 for a postseason appearance. 

For the record I’m still skeptical of Hurts, Sirianni, and Gannon, but I agree the team did improve last season. It’s too early to write any of the tree off, but I’m not ready to say they’re locks either. Let’s see how they do with an improved roster and more pressure on them. Again I’m skeptical, but I do think all three can improve and help this team get better. Sirianni IMO doesn’t need to call the players to be a good head coach, but this team needs to do much better against better teams to be considered legit contenders. 

• Like 1