Horizon Zero Dawn - Forbidden West Sequel OTW!

opengeo

19 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Hopefully by then getting a ps5 won't require luck and following 10 Twitter accounts 

17 hours ago, devpool said:

Hopefully by then getting a ps5 won't require luck and following 10 Twitter accounts 

Well it will be after Christmas..... It might be worse then last year lol. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

What version/edition did everyone get?

I think digital deluxe. Might have been like $10 more? I was always a pro-disk guy due to liking physical media and having something I can trade/sell/lend, but the past 2 years I’ve found myself become more and more lazy and irritated with having to swap disks out, so I’m more and more converting to digital. Only physical media for me recently is when something goes on sale for like $15-20 physical but digital is still $50+ and hasn’t really dropped from there. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, jrsu37 said:

It's def pretty...I'm only a few hours in at this point, but it's good so far.

I like how they handle the tutorials. It's always tricky having "sequels" since your character basically loses all their weapons, abilities, skills, etc. when a "new" entry in a franchise happens.

So having the homie tag along and teaching him how to use the Focus/etc. is a "beleivable" way of integrating in the training wheels aspects at the beginning of the game. And then in the combat/skills/development tree, everything is wholly new to what was in the previous game, so its not having us all re-learn the exact same abilities we should already "know" 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Agent23 said:

I like how they handle the tutorials. It's always tricky having "sequels" since your character basically loses all their weapons, abilities, skills, etc. when a "new" entry in a franchise happens.

So having the homie tag along and teaching him how to use the Focus/etc. is a "beleivable" way of integrating in the training wheels aspects at the beginning of the game. And then in the combat/skills/development tree, everything is wholly new to what was in the previous game, so its not having us all re-learn the exact same abilities we should already "know" 

Agreed...So far I'm a fan of the changes, and the additions. I also do like how they continuously remind you how to do some stuff when it's needed.

On 2/22/2022 at 2:33 PM, jrsu37 said:

Agreed...So far I'm a fan of the changes, and the additions. I also do like how they continuously remind you how to do some stuff when it's needed.

I started HZD maybe 2 weeks before last of us 2 came out. With all the side quest and fetch quests I maybe maybe it 60% through the storyline.

TLOU2 came out and was like 30 hours of my next 3-4 days. Was so burnt out I didn’t play anything for a couple weeks and after a solid month break from HZD and doing the controls in TLOU2… I just couldn’t get myself back into being able to play HZD and the combat. 

11 hours ago, Agent23 said:

I started HZD maybe 2 weeks before last of us 2 came out. With all the side quest and fetch quests I maybe maybe it 60% through the storyline.

TLOU2 came out and was like 30 hours of my next 3-4 days. Was so burnt out I didn’t play anything for a couple weeks and after a solid month break from HZD and doing the controls in TLOU2… I just couldn’t get myself back into being able to play HZD and the combat. 

It's one of the best stories in a video game ever. Play it on easy just to go through the story...It's soooooooo good.

16 hours ago, jrsu37 said:

It's one of the best stories in a video game ever. Play it on easy just to go through the story...It's soooooooo good.

That’s similar to what I’m doing on HFW. I need to streamline the length of time I spend on these 50+ hour games any more to actually make it through. There’s YouTube videos online that skip the non-essential gameplay and missions and just show the sections that cover the story content. (I think like a 12 hour video). I watched the final 5ish hours of stuff I never made it through over the course of like 8 sittings in January and early feb

7 hours ago, Agent23 said:

That’s similar to what I’m doing on HFW. I need to streamline the length of time I spend on these 50+ hour games any more to actually make it through. There’s YouTube videos online that skip the non-essential gameplay and missions and just show the sections that cover the story content. (I think like a 12 hour video). I watched the final 5ish hours of stuff I never made it through over the course of like 8 sittings in January and early feb

I'm playing this one on reg difficulty, but I TOTALLY get your point. I did a main quest only easy playthrough of Horizon Zero Dawn like a month ago, and it took me like 10hrs.

Playing this new on on reg gets frustrating at some points. Sooooooooo many more "moves" and attack functions than most games. Like, I love it, but bro, I don't really have time anymore to get lost and die 15 times on one boss bc I don't know the 25+ button combo to attack his weakness that you need to do 30 times to defeat it lol. That said this game is pretty stress free so far.

That's my old man gamer rant.

39 minutes ago, jrsu37 said:

I'm playing this one on reg difficulty, but I TOTALLY get your point. I did a main quest only easy playthrough of Horizon Zero Dawn like a month ago, and it took me like 10hrs.

Playing this new on on reg gets frustrating at some points. Sooooooooo many more "moves" and attack functions than most games. Like, I love it, but bro, I don't really have time anymore to get lost and die 15 times on one boss bc I don't know the 25+ button combo to attack his weakness that you need to do 30 times to defeat it lol. That said this game is pretty stress free so far.

That's my old man gamer rant.

Even on whatever difficult setting 2 is (3 is "normal”) I had a boss fight where I’m fighting a new machine and a guy with a rail gun. Took me like 6-7 tries because the second I take out the machine rail gun guy just lights me up and I’m dead in about 2 seconds. 

48 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

Even on whatever difficult setting 2 is (3 is "normal”) I had a boss fight where I’m fighting a new machine and a guy with a rail gun. Took me like 6-7 tries because the second I take out the machine rail gun guy just lights me up and I’m dead in about 2 seconds. 

Yeah I used cover, and just set his a on fire and just kept dodging...Also acid arrows.

Another thing is, take a look at your "special" options...You can set them depending on the fight, then just build your special up, hold L1, then tap R1, and let him have it lol.

I died on that one twice before I figured out it's all a dodging game, and continuous damage over time.

1 hour ago, jrsu37 said:

Yeah I used cover, and just set his a on fire and just kept dodging...Also acid arrows.

Another thing is, take a look at your "special" options...You can set them depending on the fight, then just build your special up, hold L1, then tap R1, and let him have it lol.

I died on that one twice before I figured out it's all a dodging game, and continuous damage over time.

I haven't gotten fire yet. I got shock arrows for some "hunt" I think near chainscrape. Then I got acid arrows somehow which are the only "specialty" weapon I use... the shock arrows seemed kinda weak/blah so those aren't even in my selectable weapon tree. The only other weapon I have is a javelin? that I just got which explodes after you throw it. I used those L1/R1 abilities ONCE all game... the turn invisible on the final attempt at that fight I mentioned and that's how I won lmao

49 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I haven't gotten fire yet. I got shock arrows for some "hunt" I think near chainscrape. Then I got acid arrows somehow which are the only "specialty" weapon I use... the shock arrows seemed kinda weak/blah so those aren't even in my selectable weapon tree. The only other weapon I have is a javelin? that I just got which explodes after you throw it. I used those L1/R1 abilities ONCE all game... the turn invisible on the final attempt at that fight I mentioned and that's how I won lmao

Ya the inviz is my fav...And the ranged one where u paint your face in the animation. 

I don't even have the shock arrows yet I don't think? Also keep in mind each machine, and even parts on each machine, are susceptible to diff elemental attacks.

I just got the javelin, but I haven't used it yet...I'm mostly on the slicing hunter bow and the shredder gauntlet...Or whichever elemental arrows the thing I'm fighting is weak against. 

I also try to be over leveled by one for each main quest just in case.

1 hour ago, jrsu37 said:

Ya the inviz is my fav...And the ranged one where u paint your face in the animation. 

I don't even have the shock arrows yet I don't think? Also keep in mind each machine, and even parts on each machine, are susceptible to diff elemental attacks.

I just got the javelin, but I haven't used it yet...I'm mostly on the slicing hunter bow and the shredder gauntlet...Or whichever elemental arrows the thing I'm fighting is weak against. 

I also try to be over leveled by one for each main quest just in case.

I maybe just got the shredder? Haven't used it. In the first real map world (chainscrape) before the gates with that annoying priest guy gets open, I think I did every random mission I could find there. Just wandering the map, "identifying" like a dozen locations that I "don't have a tool yet" to access (lots of Last Of Us references?), and doing this one hunt trial where you have 3 different categories and if you beat them in under a certain time (usually like 90 seconds) you get the highest tier. I did all of those with minimal struggle, but I think one of those is where I got the shock arrows. I want to say those were over in here somewhere?

image.thumb.png.e6e719bda8b5f1bd01cae4fd66a7de5f.png

Then after getting through the gate

where everyone gets ambushed, I have found and cleared out 2 rebel camps immediately north of where you start, found the first tall neck, beat the first cauldron, did the "hunts" for the guy who wants you to ambush machines to get better armor -- last or which you have to override and mount a machine to chase this gazelle things -- then the last activity I have done is the machine/rail gun guy combo... I'm 99% positive the cauldron and rail gun guy I just stumbled on wandering the map and hitting ???? map points on my way to my next mission, so it would be funny if those get re-entered into my activities queue whenever storyline events probably require me to investigate those things lol

So this story, and the game, just opened up...Story gets even wilder lol. You're going to hit some wild ish pretty soon.

Also we going to Vegas, my guy! Aloy in Vegas lol.

20 minutes ago, jrsu37 said:

So this story, and the game, just opened up...Story gets even wilder lol. You're going to hit some wild ish pretty soon.

Also we going to Vegas, my guy! Aloy in Vegas lol.

I would describe the game as two maps so far. The first open-world portion of the game in/around chainscrape (I think they call that region "The Daunt"), then when the gate opens the map (which is covered in clouds to start) looks to be about as large as the first game's map was.... or what I would say looks at least 5-7x the size of The Daunt. I don't have equipment yet (I'm guessing at some point I get a breathing apparatus) but I found what appears to be a crashed airplane under the water and just past that I found what I think looked like a tunnel/roadway structure that would maybe cross through mountains? I know Days Gone and similar games have used those as "barriers" until you unlock something later in the story, so I already get the impression that this brand new huge map that I've maybe explored 15-20% of is just a stepping stone to future maps/regions of the game.

2 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I would describe the game as two maps so far. The first open-world portion of the game in/around chainscrape (I think they call that region "The Daunt"), then when the gate opens the map (which is covered in clouds to start) looks to be about as large as the first game's map was.... or what I would say looks at least 5-7x the size of The Daunt. I don't have equipment yet (I'm guessing at some point I get a breathing apparatus) but I found what appears to be a crashed airplane under the water and just past that I found what I think looked like a tunnel/roadway structure that would maybe cross through mountains? I know Days Gone and similar games have used those as "barriers" until you unlock something later in the story, so I already get the impression that this brand new huge map that I've maybe explored 15-20% of is just a stepping stone to future maps/regions of the game.

You're 100% correct in that from what I've seen so far.

F it. I'm working from home today, this afternoon is slow, and I have an out of office message up because work has me travelling to our factory in Mexico this Sunday to "host" some visitors/customers/vendors flying in from Philly area to watch us install some custom water coils they designed to fit in our equipment on Mon/Tue (potentially missing Golden State @ Minnesota Tuesday night that I already have a $275 ticket for <_< ) so I will pull up the game and snap a pic of my map