Week 1 Stars and Scars

Captain F

Hurts was certainly not a scar. He extended a lot of drives with his legs and had some nice throws to Brown. He came through when he had to and got the W. Not a star today but closer to a star than a scar. 

• Like 1

The Offensive Line wasn't good, except the Eagles did fairly well running the ball. The Lions pass rush was disruptive all game. Hurts was rushed, he ended up tucking and running more than he should. We should count our blessings he didn't make more mistakes. No turnovers was a feat.

• Like 3

I think people should not underplay this win... a road game against the same opponent we crushed last year and was highly motivated for payback and we still beat them. Ill take the W and move on.

Im actually glad it was a tough win because it builds character and it shows where this team still has to improve.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eaglesfandan said:

ouch :roll:

3 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

He was the second read

Funny because it is true.  Painful because it is true.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, opa-opa said:

I think people should not underplay this win... a road game against the same opponent we crushed last year and was highly motivated for payback and we still beat them. Ill take the W and move on.

Im actually glad it was a tough win because it builds character and it shows where this team still has to improve.

I agree. It was a good win but closer than it should have been. Was impressed with the lions. I think they will surprise a few teams this season.

Hopefully its a wake up call for the O line and D line as they were pretty bad.

10 penalties for 61 yards is also not good enough. delay of game - not acceptable!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BornGreen said:

What the hell Smith!   That’s my biggest scar!  

WTH Hurts for targeting him 4 times

41 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

maybe after the 4th drop he'd had enough

4 targets...

1 drop 

1 catch called back due to penalty 

DPI that was wiped out from penalty on the Eagles? Holding? I can't remember. I was trying to catch my 4 year old from running around and saw the tail end of the play

Can't remember what the 4th target was

Hurts was the least of their problems.  

There are serious issues on defense,  starting - or should  I say continuing - with Gannon’s soft scheme.  Zero pressure on Goff all day.  One, single sack and that came when he dropped the snap.  This is not sustainable.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Godfather said:

4 targets...

1 drop 

1 catch called back due to penalty 

DPI that was wiped out from penalty on the Eagles? Holding? I can't remember. I was trying to catch my 4 year old from running around and saw the tail end of the play

Can't remember what the 4th target was

Downs that are replayed don't count as stats (targets in this case). Hurts had a few passes batted down at the LOS. 

48 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Hurts was the least of their problems.  

There are serious issues on defense,  starting - or should  I say continuing - with Gannon’s soft scheme.  Zero pressure on Goff all day.  One, single sack and that came when he dropped the snap.  This is not sustainable.

Williams had a sack in the 4th as well. We did blitz a few times and the pressure bothered Goff quite a bit, forcing some bad throws. Honestly, I was mostly bothered by the poor tackling. Unfortunately, it will probably take a few weeks for that to improve. 

Hurts definitely shouldn't be a scar. At times today he was very good, at other times he was a little frustrating. He does have a habit of taking off if his first read isn't there but he picked up a lot of first downs with his legs today. He came up big in big spots and he did make some very good throws. 

The DL was atrocious. Not enough sacks again and just didn't really control or influence the game. We need a lot lot more from the DL if we are to have a good year. 

14 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Once again, we were pretty good in the red zone. It's not all about Hurts' passing numbers. Offensively, we controlled the clock and put enough points on the board to win most games. Hurts didn't have a lot of clean pockets and overall, made good, safe decisions with the football. If anything, Hurts shouldn't be on the "scar" list --- that is just silly. 

I agree.  He wasn't bad at all.  What he was, was by and large, the exact same as he was last year.   Part of that is on him, and part of that is on the coaches.   Far too many called QB runs, that's game plan stuff.  They want him running the ball.  I do not.  That's not his fault, that's the coaches.  But, running as much as he did allowed the defense to take a few liberties taking shots on him when the opportunity arose.  2 were flagged.  The rest were not.  That punishment will add up.

The good:  He didn't turn the ball over.  "Bad" Qbs turn the ball over a bunch.  Aggressive passing QBs turn the ball over a bunch too, because they are willing to take more chances and trust their arm more.  He doesn't get that aggressive passing.  He got the ball to Brown.  He picked up a couple first downs on the first drive despite being way off in the passing game.

The bad: IMO, he ran more than he needed to.  He doesn't fare well against the blitz, and until he learns to, teams are going to be coming after him a lot. He also looked bad with those throw aways, just fairly unathletic looking, honestly, but effective.  He definitely got away with at least one intentional grounding while doing so.   He didn't make good decisions passing the ball in the RZ, especially inside the 10.  The coaching staff seemed to go completely away from him passing once the team got in that close as the game wore on. 

Here's where I don't know how much is him and how much is the coaches:  Hurts also was extremely slow in getting the team to the LOS and making calls from the line.  Far too many delay of game calls and wasted timeouts because of not being ready to snap the ball.   It seemed that later in the game, he wasn't making as many calls at the line.  Was that an adjustment by the coaches or him, or were there fewer times he felt he needed to.  

Not sure where to put this one:  He seemed to be locked in on Brown.  There was concern about that with them being such close friends before Brown got here.   Was Brown the better option today because of how physical the refs allowed the Detroit DBs to be?   Was Smith, Watkins or Pascal open more and Hurts just not see them?  Hard to know without the All-22 view.  I'm all about utilizing Brown.  He was really good yesterday.  But, I am not about forcing the ball to Brown over other options if they are there.  Time will tell, but Smith was supposedly a little irked yesterday with his usage, or lack thereof.   Again, how much of this is by design versus how it plays out.  Hard to know.  This is something worth watching for the future.   

Maybe Sirianni should put in a call to Nick Saban and ask him how to distribute the football when you have multiple top flight targets out wide... since he's busy calling college coaches for advice and all. 

• Like 2

Scar - Siri and Hurts combined - If he's our best bet to win, they need to stop running him so much. He won't survive. 

Eagles offensive and defensive lines were brutal. The run defense was brutal. The coaching and preparation was brutal. Let’s trash Jalen though. If you dopes had your mustache in this game he looks worse than Stafford did against the Bills.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I agree.  He wasn't bad at all.  What he was, was by and large, the exact same as he was last year.   Part of that is on him, and part of that is on the coaches.   Far too many called QB runs, that's game plan stuff.  They want him running the ball.  I do not.  That's not his fault, that's the coaches.  But, running as much as he did allowed the defense to take a few liberties taking shots on him when the opportunity arose.  2 were flagged.  The rest were not.  That punishment will add up.

The good:  He didn't turn the ball over.  "Bad" Qbs turn the ball over a bunch.  Aggressive passing QBs turn the ball over a bunch too, because they are willing to take more chances and trust their arm more.  He doesn't get that aggressive passing.  He got the ball to Brown.  He picked up a couple first downs on the first drive despite being way off in the passing game.

The bad: IMO, he ran more than he needed to.  He doesn't fare well against the blitz, and until he learns to, teams are going to be coming after him a lot. He also looked bad with those throw aways, just fairly unathletic looking, honestly, but effective.  He definitely got away with at least one intentional grounding while doing so.   He didn't make good decisions passing the ball in the RZ, especially inside the 10.  The coaching staff seemed to go completely away from him passing once the team got in that close as the game wore on. 

Here's where I don't know how much is him and how much is the coaches:  Hurts also was extremely slow in getting the team to the LOS and making calls from the line.  Far too many delay of game calls and wasted timeouts because of not being ready to snap the ball.   It seemed that later in the game, he wasn't making as many calls at the line.  Was that an adjustment by the coaches or him, or were there fewer times he felt he needed to.  

Not sure where to put this one:  He seemed to be locked in on Brown.  There was concern about that with them being such close friends before Brown got here.   Was Brown the better option today because of how physical the refs allowed the Detroit DBs to be?   Was Smith, Watkins or Pascal open more and Hurts just not see them?  Hard to know without the All-22 view.  I'm all about utilizing Brown.  He was really good yesterday.  But, I am not about forcing the ball to Brown over other options if they are there.  Time will tell, but Smith was supposedly a little irked yesterday with his usage, or lack thereof.   Again, how much of this is by design versus how it plays out.  Hard to know.  This is something worth watching for the future.   

Maybe Sirianni should put in a call to Nick Saban and ask him how to distribute the football when you have multiple top flight targets out wide... since he's busy calling college coaches for advice and all. 

Good posting.

It's week one, so trying not to overreact. Hurts wasn't bad. He wasn't great, either. You could see times where he was trying to settle in the pocket and make his reads, but with all the blitzing on that first drive, he got happy feet early. I agree wholeheartedly on the playcalling taking too long, that needs to get cleaned up ASAP, or it is going to cost us this season.

My biggest worry is the Defense and Gannon's schemes. Without blitzing, there was zero pressure on Goff. Poor run defense by the front 7 and sloppy, weak arm tackles. There is so much talent on the Defense now. There is no excuse for letting a young team with a rag-armed QB score 35 and stay in that game.

I'm also now in the camp of people who think Siri's stripped down soft Training Camp is a big part of why they looked so sloppy and gassed. The whole team was disorganized with way too many penalties and poor clock management. The second half the defense looked completely gassed. The Lions were clearly better prepared and in better football shape. the Eagles should have put this game away early and put their foot on DETs neck to close out a convincing win. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Vileborg said:

Yep, Hurts got the W. The offense scored 31 which is usually plenty to win in this league. I hope they review the tape and do their due diligence but not going to nit pick the offense over scoring 31 and getting the W.

333 TOTAL YDS.  How do you go pages and pages talking about hus 2nd reads and never even mention all the damage he does with his legs?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Strange. 

No turnovers, threw the ball away a few times to avoid a loss, sealed the game with a 4th down conversion. The two Super Bowl QBs from last season put up much worse performances.

Its mind boggling how people are crapping on him after yesterday. He was solid for the first game of the season. He faced a ton of pressure and took care of business.

Our dline kept detroit in the game. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Captain F said:

Exactly. When he needed to be.  And the rest of the time, instead of dominating,  he didn't progress his reads to find the open receivers. He should have absolutely destroyed today.  But.... we got more of the same. He seems to be missing the killer instinct and plays for survival..

Why should he have destroyed? Its a new year. Everyone fresh and competitive. Hurts faced an NFL team, not a high school squad. This wasnt a gimme win as many would like to assume. Giants beat the titans. Bengals lost to the steelers with a qb seen as a bust/backup. Anything can happen.

Hurts certainly played better than former 1st overall pick Goff, & even defending sb champ Stafford. 

Getting the W isnt supposed to be a cake walk in this league...