Problematic stats on both sides of the ball

weko

A win is a win...but...

We scored 38 points and Hurts completed only 1 pass for 7 yards to any WR not named AJ Brown.  He has to try and see the WHOLE field and not take off and run when his first option isn't there.  

Last year he only saw the right side of the field.  I had hoped he had improved at reading thru progressions left and right.  Maybe he has, but not today.

On D...only 1 sack and 6 QB hits on 37 Goff pass attempts.  The D line was dreadful.  Maybe Gannon's fault, maybe they just played poorly after not playing at all in the pre season and after nothing but soft, short practices.  Maybe they are old/overrated.  TBD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Anyone know how many snaps Jordan Davis played?  I didn't see him out there a lot. 

Late in the 4th qtr when the game was on the line, Marlon Tuipulotu and Milton Williams were in the game.   I thought that was odd.  

3 minutes ago, JamesK said:

Anyone know how many snaps Jordan Davis played?  I didn't see him out there a lot. 

Late in the 4th qtr when the game was on the line, Marlon Tuipulotu and Milton Williams were in the game.   I thought that was odd.  

I don't know the answer off the top of my head, but I do know our run defense was better with him on the field.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, weko said:

A win is a win...but...

We scored 38 points and Hurts completed only 1 pass for 7 yards to any WR not named AJ Brown.  He has to try and see the WHOLE field and not take off and run when his first option isn't there.  

Last year he only saw the right side of the field.  I had hoped he had improved at reading thru progressions left and right.  Maybe he has, but not today.

On D...only 1 sack and 6 QB hits on 37 Goff pass attempts.  The D line was dreadful.  Maybe Gannon's fault, maybe they just played poorly after not playing at all in the pre season and after nothing but soft, short practices.  Maybe they are old/overrated.  TBD

O only scored 32 points. Hurts was under fire most of the game. Play calling needs to be better. I have feeling he didn't audible much bc it was hard to hear. They need to find a way to fix this.

Detroit oline is pretty freaking good. I'd say probably top 3.

Our starter pretty much didn't play any pre season while Lions played a lot.

Home opener is gonna tell me more about this team than today did.

• Like 3

Hurts Is still far from a good passing Qb.  He abandons his options if they’re not wide open and at  the same tIme fails to see the wide open player when he leaves the pocket more so than not.  Smith had four targets!  4!  At first I was getting angry at Smith and thinking he was just getting doubled all the time or not getting open what so ever, but he was open on quite a few plays and never targeted. It’s frustrating to win with 38 points and still be upset but I think there are a lot of disappointed fans with his lack of progression. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BornGreen said:

Hurts Is still far from a good passing Qb.  He abandons his options if they’re not wide open and at  the same tIme fails to see the wide open player when he leaves the pocket more so than not.  Smith had four targets!  4!  At first I was getting angry at Smith and thinking he was just getting doubled all the time or not getting open what so ever, but he was open on quite a few plays and never targeted. It’s frustrating to win with 38 points and still be upset but I think there are a lot of disappointed fans with his lack of progression. 

Game 1 in a hostile environment with a lot of pressure. Did what he had to do for the win. Key for me was no turnovers and he protected the ball. His chemistry with Brown was amazing. That's progression for me in the first preseason game of the year ;)

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, judunno said:

Game 1 in a hostile environment with a lot of pressure. Did what he had to do for the win. Key for me was no turnovers and he protected the ball. His chemistry with Brown was amazing. That's progression for me in the first preseason game of the year ;)

He can do no right for some of the people on this board.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

When Hurts drops his head, it’s over, he’s running.  And when he feels any pressure, after about a second, he drops his head.  Just the way he is at this point.

As for the defense, the JJ show is coming to town.  And Cousins will hang in the pocket and wait for his receivers to get open.  Minnesota also moves JJ around so you can’t find him.  And Dalvin is legit.  Gannon has his work cut out for him because if he relies on the vanilla crap, Minnesota is going to put more points than Detroit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Well they better be ready for next week because Minnesota looked good today. They have weapons on offense and they have a pretty good defense. 

This was start number 21 and the NFL week 1 is now preseason because of the joke that is now fake preseason.

Yes he has to get better. No we should not overreact.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, weko said:

A win is a win...but...

"He has to try and see the WHOLE field"

No he doesn't. 

He needs to get results,  the Eagles got 38 points and a win.

People HAVE to count Hurts rushing stats with the passing stats to measure Hurts.  Was 7th in fantasy points for a QB.  That's as good a stat as any that includes rushing stats.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BornGreen said:

There are a lot of fans who are disappointed by whiny fans who don't appreciate big points, wins and a top 10 QB.

Those things that you are whining about are NOT NECESSARY.  Hurts led QBs with 90 rushing yards this week.   90 x 17 = 1530.   That would be the record.  So,  Hurts is rushing at a record setting pace, and the Eagles scored 38 points.

Hurts needs to be able to pass well enough, to combine with his top running, to get wins, score points.   He did last year and he's doing it again this year.

I don't care about all that stuff you're talking about.   I'm good with "replace your blah blah with good Hurts running, and that will give the Eagles wins". 

Last year, the Eagles scored more than they did today twice. 

In Wentz's last year,  2020,  the highest scoring game was 29 points.

In 2019,  the highest scoring game was 37 points.
In 2018, the highest scoring game was 34 points.

Before Hurts last year and Hurts today, the last Eagles QB to put up 38 or more points was Foles in the Super Bowl win.

Stop complaining,  I don't care about those "not perfect passing" things.  He brings so much running, and the points and wins are coming in large part from that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Swoop said:

I don't know the answer off the top of my head, but I do know our run defense was better with him on the field.

On or off the field, the run defense was horrible.

Speaking of Davis, I'm not impressed by the guy, he looks like Cox II......a damn lazy arse.

It was a road game against a team everyone in NFL media tells me is going to be massively improved and I didn't believe it but apart from Goff they really are.

Our O Line was iffy all game, in the first drive they were flat out awful, but throughout the game there were a worrying number of rushers getting through virtually untouched.

Defensively the line was underwhelming, but the secondary looked leaps and bounds from where we were last year for three quarters and then went to crap down the stretch.

All in all we had the look of a team that hasn't prepared properly for game ball in the off season, all aspects of the game looked unpolished, but the flashes were of something really impressive, when they do get it all together they might be quite something.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Swoop said:

When Davis was on the field the Lions averaged 3 yards a carry. They averaged 10 when he wasn't in. He had the fewest snaps of the 5 DT that played. The combo of Cox and Hargrave gave up the most rushing yards

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JamesK said:

22 snaps (32%)

11 hours ago, weko said:

A win is a win...but...

All that tells me is that Jalen is still a one read and run QB. AJ will usually be his first read, so not surprised that it was either throw to AJ or run. 

One in particular that bothered me was a 3rd and 6. He had Goedert right in the middle of the field for a first down. Instead he runs it around the left end and comes up short of the first. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Godfather said:

When Davis was on the field the Lions averaged 3 yards a carry. They averaged 10 when he wasn't in. He had the fewest snaps of the 5 DT that played. The combo of Cox and Hargrave gave up the most rushing yards

Yeah Davis needs to be getting just as many snaps as Fletch at this point. I know Cox had the sack on a botched snap but he’s just usually invisible out there these days. 

Just now, nipples said:

All that tells me is that Jalen is still a one read and run QB. AJ will usually be his first read, so not surprised that it was either throw to AJ or run. 

One in particular that bothered me was a 3rd and 6. He had Goedert right in the middle of the field for a first down. Instead he runs it around the left end and comes up short of the first. 

That bothered me as well but this happens way too often for my taste. I have been trying to root for Hurts to be the long term answer but I just dont see it. I know we were in hostile territory, no preseason and a few changes but I would love to still see him audible, to see more than one target and to quit the frickin RPO (I despise it at this point)....this is also a result of playcalling, which seemed to get worse yet again. The defense I won't even speak on anymore SMH....no good defense from this team since Jim Johnson but hey, at least we finally fixed the secondary...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, judunno said:

and other teams now know this...so they will start doubling and taking away Brown...so If Hurts hasn't learned a thing about reading progressions and Quarterbacking...he will continue to be a "one and done" QB...run..and eventually get injured....handing the team over to Minshew....

not a promising prospect

21 minutes ago, GeorgeM37 said:

That bothered me as well but this happens way too often for my taste. I have been trying to root for Hurts to be the long term answer but I just dont see it. I know we were in hostile territory, no preseason and a few changes but I would love to still see him audible, to see more than one target and to quit the frickin RPO (I despise it at this point)....this is also a result of playcalling, which seemed to get worse yet again. The defense I won't even speak on anymore SMH....no good defense from this team since Jim Johnson but hey, at least we finally fixed the secondary...

If Hurts doesn't progress...trade for Jimmy G....draft someone and start to develop them...(again!!)

4 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

If Hurts doesn't progress...trade for Jimmy G....draft someone and start to develop them...(again!!)

Yes, I agree....he simply has to get better at his position....we are now in year three.....

My concern is mostly with the Def.. Whether it was a soft preseason and/or new personnel needing to gel, it needs to be fixed quickly. I have no faith in Gannon, but Gannon isn’t missing tackles out there. Tackling was an issue last season and it’s an issue today. The D line was weak and the 2nd level looked confused and ineffective mostly in the 2nd half. Gannon took it easy on the blitz in the 2nd half and the front 4 generated zero pressure, that shouldn’t happen. That lack of pressure allowed a mediocre Goff to move the ball effortlessly. If an average QB can do that to you then the really good ones will put you down quickly. Hopefully they’ll figure it out soon. 

As for Hurts-

Hurts managed the game well considering he was harassed all day cause they were having difficulty picking up the.blitz. That being said I still have the same concerns with Hurts as I did last season; reading the D, winging it on RPOs, immediate safety valve reads, and not running through his progressions. Also, you can’t have Hurts running over 10 times a game either, because eventually he’s gonna get injured. But again, he managed the game well enough, did some good things and got the win. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Portyansky said:

O only scored 32 points. Hurts was under fire most of the game. Play calling needs to be better. I have feeling he didn't audible much bc it was hard to hear. They need to find a way to fix this.

Detroit oline is pretty freaking good. I'd say probably top 3.

Our starter pretty much didn't play any pre season while Lions played a lot.

"Only” 32 points. :lol: That should be enough to win most games. Defense was the issue yesterday. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GeorgeM37 said:

Yes, I agree....he simply has to get better at his position....we are now in year three.....

and although he showed chemistry with Brown, this is good..but also bad....should he get too dependent on him....they always talk about the best QBs spreading the ball around...that's what makes them great QBs..because they will outsmart and out think a defense when the defense tries to compensate for a particular player.

• Like 1