Problematic stats on both sides of the ball

weko

12 hours ago, JamesK said:

Anyone know how many snaps Jordan Davis played?  I didn't see him out there a lot. 

Late in the 4th qtr when the game was on the line, Marlon Tuipulotu and Milton Williams were in the game.   I thought that was odd.  

2043381591_Playtimepercentage.thumb.PNG.d92d933dbe3acfe7da458d7c05526cef.PNG

https://www.nflgsis.com/2022/REG/01/58843/Gamebook.pdf

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

It was a road game against a team everyone in NFL media tells me is going to be massively improved and I didn't believe it but apart from Goff they really are.

Our O Line was iffy all game, in the first drive they were flat out awful, but throughout the game there were a worrying number of rushers getting through virtually untouched.

Defensively the line was underwhelming, but the secondary looked leaps and bounds from where we were last year for three quarters and then went to crap down the stretch.

All in all we had the look of a team that hasn't prepared properly for game ball in the off season, all aspects of the game looked unpolished, but the flashes were of something really impressive, when they do get it all together they might be quite something.

OL was getting hammered by the Detroit blitz packages. Not sure how much was on them rather than coordinators adjusting to what Detroit was doing. OL can't block everything  as there were extra guys to account. Backs either weren't making the proper reads or the play calling didn't allow for blitz pickups. I think some more running and screen game would have murdered them even more. Thankfully Hurts is fleet footed.

Defense looked flat. They had a few series where they looked pretty dominate once they took the lead but then fell back to looking putrid. Can't learn much from the first few games given that these guys barely hit in the pre-season anymore so the tackling should improve as they knock the rust off. Swift and co broke a lot of tackles this game and to your point that's likely due to the relaxed off-season. This was the case for many games that I watched. This is the new league now with the 17 game season so just gotta lower the bar when thinking they're going to come out gang busters in Game 1 and maybe even Game 2. A lot of new faces on defense as well so there is a learning curve there. Just get through the first few weeks with some wins is how I see it while they adjust to the new season.

1 hour ago, flyerdog said:

and other teams now know this...so they will start doubling and taking away Brown...so If Hurts hasn't learned a thing about reading progressions and Quarterbacking...he will continue to be a "one and done" QB...run..and eventually get injured....handing the team over to Minshew....

not a promising prospect

Can't really take Brown away he's a beast. The one thing that is clear is how much Hurts trusts him even when he's covered. Everyone else will feast if defenses over commit to Brown though especially DG. I'm more worried about not having a more balanced attack akin to how the Eagles started last year. The run game is the obvious strength of this team. They need to use that to set up everything else IMO. But they have to get the penalties down. I'm guessing that's what threw off some of their drives.

44 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

and although he showed chemistry with Brown, this is good..but also bad....should he get too dependent on him....they always talk about the best QBs spreading the ball around...that's what makes them great QBs..because they will outsmart and out think a defense when the defense tries to compensate for a particular player.

When QBs spread it around a ton that's usually indicative of a receiving corps that isn't all that great and lacks elite talent. The spreading is typically a result of check downs because the primary receiver isn't consistently getting open. Hurts spread it around a lot last year but people complained that he didn't force feed it to Smith. Now he has one of the elite players in the league and people are complaining he over used him? This last game he had a lot of jail break blitzes that he had to evade. I'm sure in a friendlier environment with more time with his receivers they start checking into plays more favorable.

12 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

He can do no right for some of the people on this board.

THIS!

This is why I can't be on these boards during a game, can I can just imagine how fans were on our first possession.   Nothing's funnier than people say from the comfort of their couch, from the overhead came view.... "There's guys WIDE open!!!"

57 minutes ago, judunno said:

OL was getting hammered by the Detroit blitz packages. Not sure how much was on them rather than coordinators adjusting to what Detroit was doing. OL can't block everything  as there were extra guys to account. Backs either weren't making the proper reads or the play calling didn't allow for blitz pickups. I think some more running and screen game would have murdered them even more. Thankfully Hurts is fleet footed.

Defense looked flat. They had a few series where they looked pretty dominate once they took the lead but then fell back to looking putrid. Can't learn much from the first few games given that these guys barely hit in the pre-season anymore so the tackling should improve as they knock the rust off. Swift and co broke a lot of tackles this game and to your point that's likely due to the relaxed off-season. This was the case for many games that I watched. This is the new league now with the 17 game season so just gotta lower the bar when thinking they're going to come out gang busters in Game 1 and maybe even Game 2. A lot of new faces on defense as well so there is a learning curve there. Just get through the first few weeks with some wins is how I see it while they adjust to the new season.

It bothered me that we couldn't adjust to their early blitzing.  How about drawing them in and doing a screen over top of their heads?  How about designed roll outs.  Bubble screen?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, EagleRob said:

THIS!

This is why I can't be on these boards during a game, can I can just imagine how fans were on our first possession.   Nothing's funnier than people say from the comfort of their couch, from the overhead came view.... "There's guys WIDE open!!!"

There are people on another thread saying he's not an nfl qb or he's a running back at QB because he's not doing things that maybe 10 QBs in the league can do against the blitz. Of course I want him to be able to do those things too but it's ridiculous the way he's referred to

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pgcd3 said:

There are people on another thread saying he's not an nfl qb or he's a running back at QB because he's not doing things that maybe 10 QBs in the league can do against the blitz. Of course I want him to be able to do those things too but it's ridiculous the way he's referred to

I want him to succeed, as we all should, and I acknowledge that he has his shortcomings. But you can read between the lines on how our "fans" talk about him that there's NOTHING he can do to win them over.  The spent a considerable amount of time running for his life back there.  The blitzes messed up his passing, but his runs broke their backs.  I just hate we went into vanilla the last few drives of the game.   Detroit's D was being crazy aggressive. We should have tried some misdirection. The run-option is not enough.

• Like 1

Pretty much every run Hurts had, was because he was under heavy pressure. If he stayed in the pocket instead of running, he would have been sacked. The O Line did not protect him well enough. 

• Like 1

Just now, jsdarkstar said:

Pretty much every run Hurts had, was because he was under heavy pressure. If he stayed in the pocket instead of running, he would have been sacked. The O Line did not protect him well enough. 

The vet OL did not handle the blitz well at all.  That was the biggest problem there. Of course Hurts wasn't perfect in his decisions either but an honest assessment shows the OL breakdowns were a bigger factor. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

There are a lot of fans who are disappointed by whiny fans who don't appreciate big points, wins and a top 10 QB.

Those things that you are whining about are NOT NECESSARY.  Hurts led QBs with 90 rushing yards this week.   90 x 17 = 1530.   That would be the record.  So,  Hurts is rushing at a record setting pace, and the Eagles scored 38 points.

Hurts needs to be able to pass well enough, to combine with his top running, to get wins, score points.   He did last year and he's doing it again this year.

I don't care about all that stuff you're talking about.   I'm good with "replace your blah blah with good Hurts running, and that will give the Eagles wins". 

Last year, the Eagles scored more than they did today twice. 

In Wentz's last year,  2020,  the highest scoring game was 29 points.

In 2019,  the highest scoring game was 37 points.
In 2018, the highest scoring game was 34 points.

Before Hurts last year and Hurts today, the last Eagles QB to put up 38 or more points was Foles in the Super Bowl win.

Stop complaining,  I don't care about those "not perfect passing" things.  He brings so much running, and the points and wins are coming in large part from that. 

yup and the only problem i have with the offense, they got to run the ball more because putting everything on hurts will get him hurt. we need a balanced attack especially when the defense cant make stops. the play calling has to be better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GeorgeM37 said:

That bothered me as well but this happens way too often for my taste. I have been trying to root for Hurts to be the long term answer but I just dont see it. I know we were in hostile territory, no preseason and a few changes but I would love to still see him audible, to see more than one target and to quit the frickin RPO (I despise it at this point)....this is also a result of playcalling, which seemed to get worse yet again. The defense I won't even speak on anymore SMH....no good defense from this team since Jim Johnson but hey, at least we finally fixed the secondary...

Has he before?

7 hours ago, EagleVA said:

On or off the field, the run defense was horrible.

Speaking of Davis, I'm not impressed by the guy, he looks like Cox II......a damn lazy arse.

If he's Cox II, it would be an awesome pick.

I can't believe the disrespect to one of the best players we've had over the last decade. 

Imma chalk it up to this being the 1st game of the season for a team who's head coach doesn't know how to prepare his team during training camp. Those guys out on the field Sunday were out of shape and not prepared to play a regular season NFL game. They won because of WHO they played- Detroit. Hopefully it doesn't linger until game 7, like last year. I want to enjoy watching a good team play, not the slop we saw Sunday. 

download-1.jpg

2 hours ago, EagleRob said:

It bothered me that we couldn't adjust to their early blitzing.  How about drawing them in and doing a screen over top of their heads?  How about designed roll outs.  Bubble screen?

Who's the OC again? Man I don't even know lol.

1 hour ago, toughfighter83 said:

yup and the only problem i have with the offense, they got to run the ball more because putting everything on hurts will get him hurt. we need a balanced attack especially when the defense cant make stops. the play calling has to be better.

Dude had 17 carries... sheesh. I'm sure most of those were originally called passes. More RBs and less penalties. This week is the true test :D

3 hours ago, judunno said:

Can't really take Brown away he's a beast. The one thing that is clear is how much Hurts trusts him even when he's covered. Everyone else will feast if defenses over commit to Brown though especially DG. I'm more worried about not having a more balanced attack akin to how the Eagles started last year. The run game is the obvious strength of this team. They need to use that to set up everything else IMO. But they have to get the penalties down. I'm guessing that's what threw off some of their drives.

i think that's undervaluing opposing players...there will be games where he is blanketed and can't get open..because he will be facing the best in the world that their positions too (CB.S,LB)...so this is where Hurts has to prove his mettle..so far, one game in, he has not had to ..but it's a bit unrealistic to think that Brown will have 150yd per game receiving in every game...there will come a time when he can't connect with Brown at will. 

1 hour ago, pgcd3 said:

The vet OL did not handle the blitz well at all.  That was the biggest problem there. Of course Hurts wasn't perfect in his decisions either but an honest assessment shows the OL breakdowns were a bigger factor. 

Aren't the backs and play calling a bit responsible as well?

1 minute ago, flyerdog said:

i think that's undervaluing opposing players...there will be games where he is blanketed and can't get open..because he will be facing the best in the world that their positions too (CB.S,LB)...so this is where Hurts has to prove his mettle..so far, one game in, he has not had to ..but it's a bit unrealistic to think that Brown will have 150yd per game receiving in every game...there will come a time when he can't connect with Brown at will. 

Brown is a beast... he can be contained not stopped ;) I'm pretty confident the other guys will step up. Smith will catch open passes and know when to turn around. Watkins will get loose. DG will get his. Pascal will convert 3rd downs. We'll be fine. Can't shoot your load and show everything in Week 1 man. That offense looked really vanilla to me. Literally like a pre-season game.

2 minutes ago, judunno said:

Aren't the backs and play calling a bit responsible as well?

Yes I definitely think Sirriani shares a big part of the blame.  The coaches are supposed to have a plan for blitz. I haven't heard backs missed blitz pickup but possible

Just now, pgcd3 said:

Yes I definitely think Sirriani shares a big part of the blame.  The coaches are supposed to have a plan for blitz. I haven't heard backs missed blitz pickup but possible

Well... if the D is rushing more than 5 guys someone has to pick it up. Who's calling the plays now? I genuinely don't even know lol.

Just now, judunno said:

Well... if the D is rushing more than 5 guys someone has to pick it up. Who's calling the plays now? I genuinely don't even know lol.

Steichen calls the plays but it's from a situational list that he and Sirriani prepare the prior week

1 minute ago, pgcd3 said:

Steichen calls the plays but it's from a situational list that he and Sirriani prepare the prior week

Hope they're not too rigid. Guess we'll see the next few games. I think they unleash a little more stuff this week against a tougher opponent. Won't be surprised if the defense shuts Cook down either.

4 minutes ago, judunno said:

Hope they're not too rigid. Guess we'll see the next few games. I think they unleash a little more stuff this week against a tougher opponent. Won't be surprised if the defense shuts Cook down either.

The penalties and poor tackling are a natural offshoot of light practices. They should get better. The payoff for light practices is health later.  It's tradeoff.  I think they. could practice a bit more but I get the logic

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beto_eagles said:

I can't believe the disrespect to one of the best players we've had over the last decade. 

Believe it, I haven't seen where he's been "one of the best players we've had over the last decade.".