Problematic stats on both sides of the ball

weko

1 minute ago, pgcd3 said:

The penalties and poor tackling are a natural offshoot of light practices. They should get better. The payoff for light practices is health later.  It's tradeoff.  I think they. could practice a bit more but I get the logic

Agreed health is key. First 2 games to me are like old school pre-season. You're right the tackling should get better. I think they should have gotten a good feel for things against Swift. Interested to see how they play Justin Jefferson.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, judunno said:

OL was getting hammered by the Detroit blitz packages. Not sure how much was on them rather than coordinators adjusting to what Detroit was doing. OL can't block everything  as there were extra guys to account. Backs either weren't making the proper reads or the play calling didn't allow for blitz pickups. I think some more running and screen game would have murdered them even more. Thankfully Hurts is fleet footed.

Defense looked flat. They had a few series where they looked pretty dominate once they took the lead but then fell back to looking putrid. Can't learn much from the first few games given that these guys barely hit in the pre-season anymore so the tackling should improve as they knock the rust off. Swift and co broke a lot of tackles this game and to your point that's likely due to the relaxed off-season. This was the case for many games that I watched. This is the new league now with the 17 game season so just gotta lower the bar when thinking they're going to come out gang busters in Game 1 and maybe even Game 2. A lot of new faces on defense as well so there is a learning curve there. Just get through the first few weeks with some wins is how I see it while they adjust to the new season.

yeah nick needs to revisit the way he runs his camp and preseason , since this team didn't look ready to play on both sides. the team won because of talent only. 

Just now, vaeagle2 said:

yeah nick needs to revisit the way he runs his camp and preseason , since this team didn't look ready to play on both sides. the team won because of talent only. 

We shall see. If they win most of these initial games through the bye week and remain relatively healthy, I think that makes your argument moot. No style points in winning.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Believe it, I haven't seen where he's been "one of the best players we've had over the last decade.".

4 times All-Pro, 6 times Pro-Bowler, 58 sacks and key player during our only SB season. The fact is he's been nothing short of terrific for the Eagles; maybe you're just "seeing" his last 3 seasons which have been average. 

3 minutes ago, judunno said:

We shall see. If they win most of these initial games through the bye week and remain relatively healthy, I think that makes your argument moot. No style points in winning.

Right a win while working back into shape is more an argument for light practices.  Will be interesting to see if he changes up if they have a tougher opponent week 1 next year tho

Overall the team looked like they haven’t played in a while. They were sloppy. The probably don’t get away with this if they were playing a much better football team. Overall many of the first games seemed sloppy or a little out of character for some teams. I don’t want to read too much into this game, but if they come out like this against the Vikings they will lose.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beto_eagles said:

4 times All-Pro, 6 times Pro-Bowler, 58 sacks and key player during our only SB season. The fact is he's been nothing short of terrific for the Eagles; maybe you're just "seeing" his last 3 seasons which have been average. 

I know an outstanding player when I see one and Cox has never impressed me as outstanding, apparently my definition of outstanding differs from yours so I'll spare you what I saw and didn't see from the lazy arse.

20 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Detroit oline is pretty freaking good. I'd say probably top 3.

Speaking of the OLine, ours looked like sheet......and for you guys think we have the best you better think again, it's grossly overrated. 

Had it not been for Jalen's mobility we lose that game bad, the OL didn't do their job.

14 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Speaking of the OLine, ours looked like sheet......and for you guys think we have the best you better think again, it's grossly overrated. 

Had it not been for Jalen's mobility we lose that game bad, the OL didn't do their job.

I don't think it's overrated. I think they had a bad day against a Lions D that brought a lot of energy and hustle. Offense tends to start the year slower. They'll get it together as the weeks go by. 

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think it's overrated. I think they had a bad day against a Lions D that brought a lot of energy and hustle. Offense tends to start the year slower. They'll get it together as the weeks go by. 

I'll be watching and coming to my own conclusions based on what I see.

The reason why I put it that way is because often times claims will be thrown out and Eagles fans will jump on it like the claim is true.  A perfect example of this is someone threw out the idea of Maddox at S, next thing you know everyone was wanted Maddox at S, let me be the first to tell you, Maddox at S is a complete joke!!

Someone threw out the idea of Cox being an outstanding DT, let me be the first to tell you.......

34 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

When the other team sends more rushers than you have blockers, that's what will happen. The play calling wasn't good enough to counter it

Just now, Portyansky said:

When the other team sends more rushers than you have blockers, that's what will happen. The play calling wasn't good enough to counter it

I agree that the team's offensive scheme wasn't prepared for what they ran into yesterday, chances are it's going to be like that all season long, the Eagles have children as coaches, they simply don't have the knowledge and experience to handle seasoned NFL coaches.

29 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

The reason why I put it that way is because often times claims will be thrown out and Eagles fans will jump on it like the claim is true.  A perfect example of this is someone threw out the idea of Maddox at S, next thing you know everyone was wanted Maddox at S, let me be the first to tell you, Maddox at S is a complete joke!!

I disagree. Maddox at S in his rookie year was really good. He's since been moved around a lot and now I think he's settling at slot corner.