Jordan Davis Snap Count - Surpisingly low 1st game of season

JamesK

Here are the snap counts for the DTs.

• Fletcher Cox - 39 snaps, 57%
  • Javon Hargrave - 38 snaps. 55%
  • Milton Williams - 33 snaps, 48%
  • Marlon Tuipulotu - 29 snaps, 42%
  • Jordan Davis - 22 snaps, 32%

Honestly Cox shouldn’t be getting that many snaps at this point.  They need to take a bunch of those and give them to Davis. It was very clear to me that the run defense was far better when Davis was in the game. 

• Like 4

I am not surprised. Rookie, playing in his first NFL game, and they like to swap personnel throughout the game across the line. I am sure Davis will find himself in more packages as the season progresses. He was good.

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, toolg said:

I am not surprised. Rookie, playing in his first NFL game, and they like to swap personnel throughout the game across the line. I am sure Davis will find himself in more packages as the season progresses. He was good.

I have to agree. I think they are just easing him. I'm sure he will get more snaps as the season goes on..

• Like 1

Why didn't they run more 5 man fronts? Davis is a NT. When they were running the 5 man fronts, they were playing the run better.

31 minutes ago, judunno said:

Easing him in folks. 16 more games to play.

I agree that's what they're doing, but there are rookies all over the league that played much more than that yesterday, and many of them weren't first round picks.

39 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Nakobe Dean........3 snaps. 

WTF?

Hard to complain on that though. Linebackers seemed to be solid, especially White. Biggest issue was the DLine. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nipples said:

Hard to complain on that though. Linebackers seemed to be solid, especially White. Biggest issue was the DLine. 

White was certainly a bright spot........and I know it's the first game, but I think Dean is going to be a contributor this year and I was surprised that he hardly saw the field.

51 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

WTF?

I think he's going to sit behind Edwards this season. Edwards played well last season, but is not extended beyond this season I believe. If he struggles or gets hurt, then I think we'll see Dean take over as the starting MIKE. 

It was weird. I even had to check on Twitter if he was injured or something.

18 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

32% in a rotation is nothing to sneeze at, to be honest.

Well, except that a back up 6th round pick from last year's draft got more snaps than he did.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

32% in a rotation is nothing to sneeze at, to be honest.

It is when every other DT is getting more snaps than him. 

• Like 1

Relax, it was his first NFL game and he has 2 veteran starters ahead of him.  

How many more snaps would have been not "surprisingly low?"  Bump him up to 30 and decrease Cox to 31 would make it about even.  So splitting that difference would be giving him 8 more snaps.

Is this really a complaint?  He should have got 8 more snaps?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Not surprisingly low- he is a ROOKIE. It's standard procedure. 

It's not standard procedure for Travon Walker and Aidan Hutchinson.   

2 hours ago, JamesK said:

I agree that's what they're doing, but there are rookies all over the league that played much more than that yesterday, and many of them weren't first round picks.

And those rookie DL will probably be toast come mid season if they aren't managed correctly. Save the man for games where we really need him. I'm all for that. Bet he gets more time against Minny.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

WTF?

Why should he get more? Did he do anything in the preseason against 3rd and 4th stringers that says he should be with the ones? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JamesK said:

Here are the snap counts for the DTs.

• Fletcher Cox - 39 snaps, 57%
  • Javon Hargrave - 38 snaps. 55%
  • Milton Williams - 33 snaps, 48%
  • Marlon Tuipulotu - 29 snaps, 42%
  • Jordan Davis - 22 snaps, 32%

And nobody did anything anyway, so it doesn't even matter. The D line is an overrated joke right now, until it proves otherwise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EagleMatt said:

Screenshot_20220912-123017_Chrome.jpg

That's a huge difference. Gannon needs to increase his snap count. The kid is a difference maker.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

And nobody did anything anyway, so it doesn't even matter. The D line is an overrated joke right now, until it proves otherwise.

It absolutely matters.  Cox was huffing and puffing at the end of the game.  Not certain if anybody else noticed that.  They need to re-distribute work load, and if Davis can't play 50% of the snaps, then that's a problem.