Jordan Davis Snap Count - Surpisingly low 1st game of season

JamesK

5 hours ago, seengreen said:

Why didn't they run more 5 man fronts? Davis is a NT. When they were running the 5 man fronts, they were playing the run better.

This is the key question.  Snap count is generally determined by scheme and rotations within a particular game plan.  They had success with their 5 man front but didn't deploy it nearly enough.  At the same time, they also got very little pressure on Goff.  So what, exactly, were they trying to do?

3 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

Screenshot_20220912-123017_Chrome.jpg

They like analytics, so hopefully this is the type of thing that helps him get more snaps.

It's not surprising to work a rookie in and then have them take over as starter at some point.  Not all 1st round picks are day 1 starters.  It might also be a conditioning thing as there were concerns that he wasn't playing all the downs in college so they might be evaluating how it goes after his first game.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

They like analytics, so hopefully this is the type of thing that helps him get more snaps.

It's not surprising to work a rookie in and then have them take over as starter at some point.  Not all 1st round picks are day 1 starters.  It might also be a conditioning thing as there were concerns that he wasn't playing all the downs in college so they might be evaluating how it goes after his first game.

And Sirianni flat out lied in his PC and said there was no correlation to Davis being in the game and that stat.

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

And Sirianni flat out lied in his PC and said there was no correlation to Davis being in the game and that stat.

The key will be seeing his snap count increase or not.  If it doesn't, he'll continue to get questions about it and face pressure.  They traded up, he's a beast let's get him in there.  

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't know why he had such a low snap count. 

Maybe they see what I've seen from him, namely, nothing special

10 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Maybe they see what I've seen from him, namely, nothing special

:roll:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, JamesK said:

It absolutely matters.  Cox was huffing and puffing at the end of the game.  Not certain if anybody else noticed that.  They need to re-distribute work load, and if Davis can't play 50% of the snaps, then that's a problem.

So YOU are smarter than the head coach and D coord as how to handle where a rookie is in his NFL progression? Got it. All hail YOU.

I think people are a bit too hard on the Dline. People say Detroit has a top 3 oline, if thats true then only ours and maybe the Bills are better. 

25 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

So YOU are smarter than the head coach and D coord as how to handle where a rookie is in his NFL progression? Got it. All hail YOU.

All I'm saying is that Cox was huffing and puffing at the end of the game.  There was one camera shot on him and it was obvious he couldn't catch his breath.   So if they're going to rotate, then rotate so everyone's work load is more equally distributed.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

I don’t even remember seeing Davis at all. Guess I wasn’t looking v that closely though.

I don't either. I mean to be fair I was watching in a Sports bar in Chicago where the only TV that had the game on was not in a great place. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Now do other defenders drafted in the first round

You really want to go there?

• Aiden Hutchinson. 69 total snaps, 90%
  • Travon Walker, 64 total snaps, 84%
  • Jordan Davis, 22 total snaps, 32%

Those are 2 examples right there.  If you want to know more, then go look for yourself.

5 hours ago, PhillyPhreak24 said:

That's a huge difference. Gannon needs to increase his snap count. The kid is a difference maker.

Could be a conditioning thing. He’s hardly been playing or practicing. Hopefully in a few weeks he gets more snaps than he has this game. Overall I hope it isn’t a case of playing Cox over him because of money. 

• Like 2

He is not physically (football shape) there yet. That dude is a monster. I'm sure as the year progresses he will get more snap counts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Could be a conditioning thing. He’s hardly been playing or practicing. Hopefully in a few weeks he gets more snaps than he has this game. Overall I hope it isn’t a case of playing Cox over him because of money. 

Unfortunately, we've seen that before with the receiving corps.

I think Davis will get increased playing time as the season wears on. the fact that he got terribly pancaked on one play doesn't factor in. It was his welcome to the NFL moment as the O-lineman played to the whistle and he didn't. I doubt we ever see that again.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

I don't trust this completely but I'm not surprised that a lot of the numbers were coincidental.  Small sample size

Most times the ball carrier was already 5-10 yards down the field before even being touched so they already had a head of steam going so yeah the tackling is going to look even worse. The dline just sucked period. 

15 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't either. I mean to be fair I was watching in a Sports bar in Chicago where the only TV that had the game on was not in a great place. 

Yeah I was watching at a friends house so a lot was going on 😂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NOTW said:

21 snaps in week 2, or 34% of snaps so about the same as last week.

I'm still excited about his future. He's just not ready to keep Cox and Hargrave off the field. He has a lot to learn as a rookie since he's a NT in the 3-4 and would line up as DT in the 4-3. I would expect by midseason his snap counts will be significantly higher. I believe he's a smart guy and he will pick everything up. All the experience he gains this year is preparing him to be a starter next year. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I'm still excited about his future. He's just not ready to keep Cox and Hargrave off the field. He has a lot to learn as a rookie since he's a NT in the 3-4 and would line up as DT in the 4-3. I would expect by midseason his snap counts will be significantly higher. I believe he's a smart guy and he will pick everything up. All the experience he gains this year is preparing him to be a starter next year. 

After the draft I posted on here that I thought Dean was the steal of the draft. I watch a whole lot of college football and he was a beast, I still believe he will mature into a great player for the Eagles.

I also posted that Davis might has issues staying on the field because he couldn't stay on the field at GA, he was on the field for 35% of the snaps his senior year at GA. This was not due to injury, but by his own admission, he was out of shape. I was thinking that the training staff of the Eagles would be able to get him in shape and increase his snap count and they might still be able to do that, time will tell.

He is very much like Terrance Cody, Mount Cody,  the huge NT from Alabama that was a beast in college, but suffered the same thing as Davis, he was just too big to stay on the field and couldn't or wouldn't get in shape to play in the NFL.

• Like 1

A bit of score context. Philly was up by 17 on the Lions and up 17 on the Vikings. The Eagles were not looking to feature the run stuffing line.

I'm not suggesting he would have gotten 20 more snaps in close games but 5 or 7 more would be possible.

So is it a combo of working him in as a rookie and game situations?  I'm not worried about the numbers.

• Like 2