Jordan Davis Snap Count - Surpisingly low 1st game of season

JamesK

Not sure what to make of his lack of playing time. I read an article where he said he was struggling with confidence. I think Rubes put the article out- I forget. I hope he is ok.

53 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

A bit of score context. Philly was up by 17 on the Lions and up 17 on the Vikings. The Eagles were not looking to feature the run stuffing line.

I'm not suggesting he would have gotten 20 more snaps in close games but 5 or 7 more would be possible.

So is it a combo of working him in as a rookie and game situations?  I'm not worried about the numbers.

Yeah, the Vikings just couldn't run, and then it got to a point where they had to throw all the time anyway...So there is a difference between this game and the Lions game.

Can't complain about the results defensively from monday......it was an all around good game against a good offense.

I think gannan will rotate the younger guys more as the season grinds on.........I'd like to see Nakobe Dean get some defensive snaps too......

• 2 weeks later...

Only 47 total defensive snaps Yesterday. It was almost like a rest day for the defense.

Time of possession:

Eagles 39:51

Jags 20:09

• Like 2

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Less snaps than last week... I mean I guess it worked out but I still find it odd.

The percentage is about the same each week.  They just had less defensive snaps overall which is a good thing, kept their O off the field.

I understand people's desire to see him get more snaps, but we always knew he didn't play all the downs in college and had conditioning issues.  The coaches obviously want to utilize their star #1 pick, and are monitoring his progress and conditioning.  They're winning so things are good.  If they start struggling on the line I'll be we see him get more snaps.  Or just by the end of the season if he's able to handle more.  

• Like 1

didn't realise slay had so few snaps, and zech had so many.

Thats quite encouraging that he played most the game and the coaching staff trust him.

Teams have been passing a lot while trying to catch up, especially in the 2nd half. He isn't a pass rusher. Wait until we are in a low scoring grind game. He will be in there to stop the run. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

didn't realise slay had so few snaps, and zech had so many.

Thats quite encouraging that he played most the game and the coaching staff trust him.

Slay got hurt early, that's why.

On 9/20/2022 at 7:03 PM, brkmsn said:

I'm still excited about his future. He's just not ready to keep Cox and Hargrave off the field. He has a lot to learn as a rookie since he's a NT in the 3-4 and would line up as DT in the 4-3. I would expect by midseason his snap counts will be significantly higher. I believe he's a smart guy and he will pick everything up. All the experience he gains this year is preparing him to be a starter next year. 

This is the key.

Davis is so incredibly raw with such enormous upside. It really can’t be stated enough.

He was a high floor high ceiling draft pick. You knew just from his pure size, strength and athleticism that he would be a dominant run defender on day one. That’s his floor. That’s basically a given, which he’s proven at this point.

But his athleticism and inexperience is such that he might also become a legitimate terror as an interior pass rusher. It’s going to take time. This isn’t something he did a lot in college. He needs coaching and experience. But if things work out, this man could become an absolute recking ball.

His time is coming. They are doing the right thing as to HOW they are bringing him along. I want to see more of him- for selfish reasons, I do admit. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Talonblood said:

His time is coming. They are doing the right thing as to HOW they are bringing him along. I want to see more of him- for selfish reasons, I do admit. 

As I said in another thread. I think this Sunday he will get a season high snap count. Unless we go up like 3 scores and Rush is forced to throw more.

• Like 3

He was in on an entire series in a crucial time in the game. Made some great impact. 

Increased snaps 5 games in, you see the progression. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

He was in on an entire series in a crucial time in the game. Made some great impact. 

Increased snaps 5 games in, you see the progression. 

I'm not sure if that was by design or a product of the cardinals' up tempo offense. Regardless, he was up to the task.

If you watched during the game, they mentioned why.

Its becoming an easy read for the offense and the Cowboys basically ran their plays accordingly:

Davis on the field-Pass

Davis off the field-Run

They need to get him up to speed so that he is more versatile.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

Its becoming an easy read for the offense and the Cowboys basically ran their plays accordingly:

Davis on the field-Pass

Davis off the field-Run

I know thats how he was played at georgia, but doesn't that make him a very limited player and our D very predictable?

This is going to take time to see his development. I don't see Ngata production or impact from him. He's got 2/3 years to show and prove.

22 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

I know thats how he was played at georgia, but doesn't that make him a very limited player and our D very predictable?

Yes, but hes very effective and impactful in that role so the Eagles have just tried to make it work.  Its something to watch and I bet they address it over the bye

In Ngatas rookie season he had 1 sack, 13 solo tackles, 2 TFLs and 3 QB hits.  He did have 2 PDs and an Interception, which is interesting

Haynesworth, the other popular Jordan Davis comp, registered 3 PDs, 1 sack, 21 solo tackles and 7 TFLs

Through 6 games Davis has 7 solo tackles, 1 TFL, and 1 PD.  Im confident he'll eventually get a sack, hes too athletic not to.  

I would also say that him single-handedly dictated offensive playcalls is pretty impactful

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike31mt said:

Davis on the field-Pass

Davis off the field-Run

Agreed. He relies purely on power right now. He needs to develop his pass rush moves. That will (hopefully) come with time.

Dallas had trouble running when he was in the game. Pollard had the 15 yard run in the first half, but they needed to double him on that play. Opponents will definitely try to do that when he's in the game. The LBs need to fill and tackle the backs when that happens. The other lineman need to win their one-on-one match ups too.

• Like 1