Howie is involved in the game plan per Gannon; Nick clarified it's for personnel decisions only

NOTW

Rumors over the years about Howie involved in game day decisions seemingly confirmed by Gannon saying he went over the defensive game plan with Nick and Howie.

"We set up the game plan a certain way and say, ‘Hey, we want to come out of the game kind of looking like this,’ and we do that with the head coach and with Howie," Gannon said.

Nick was asked about it in a follow up.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2022/9/15/23355008/eagles-nick-sirianni-clarifies-howie-roseman-role-game-planning-process-janarious-robinson

"We have Howie’s support, and he just wants to help us do our job as best we can do, and that’s how he helps us there in that aspect.”

"But, at the end of the day, I have the say of who’s up on game day and what we need. He’s not sitting in there game-planning with us either.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Rumors over the years about Howie dictating game day decisions seemingly confirmed by Gannon saying he went over the defensive game plan with Nick and Howie.

For all we know Howie is calling the plays

• Haha 3

I'm fine with Howie understanding the game plan prior to the game.

That's better than after the game when he would be asking "What was it you thought you were gonna do?"

And, the coaches report to Howie. He needs to know how they are running things.

• Like 2

Yea I heard that live and thought this place would be going nuts over it. The spin will be by him knowing the plan he can get the right players. 

19 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

That's better than after the game when he would be asking "What was it you thought you were gonna do?"

We agree to the extent that most C-levels will ask managers to explain their plan, but to do it for individual games?

If someone is good then there is no reason to micromanage them.
If someone is good then they probably wouldn't put up with someone micromanaging them...especially someone who has never played the game at a high level.

If John Lynch asked a DC their game plan that is something totally different than Howie.

• Like 1

I don't mind this... I mean look Howie isn't necessarily a football gut but he's a part of the identity. He shouldn't be involved in the game or the game plan but it's OK for him to be involved in what the game plan will be. He picks the players that must fit with the scheme. He's also part of the furniture and will likely outlast Sirianni and Gannon so he provides some level of consistency there too.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I would expect the General Manager of an NFL team to in on the game plan every week. Why wouldn’t he want to be in on it?

If he starts writing the game plan or changing it against what the coaches want to do… that would be micro managing and he just needs to take the next step and fire the coaches if he doesn’t believe in them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If while having a discussion with his DC, the GM gains a better understanding of how traits, skills, etc. (draft stuff) impact the game planning process, then it is a worthwhile conversation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

I was thinking the same; for all we know this was a contingency of Howie not straight up firing Gannon last January for the playoff debacle.

"I need to make sure keeping you wasn’t a mistake BEFORE the games get out of hand.”

57 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

15 minutes ago, MidMoFo said:

I would expect the General Manager of an NFL team to in on the game plan every week. Why wouldn’t he want to be in on it?

If he starts writing the game plan or changing it against what the coaches want to do… that would be micro managing and he just needs to take the next step and fire the coaches if he doesn’t believe in them.

12 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

If while having a discussion with his DC, the GM gains a better understanding of how traits, skills, etc. (draft stuff) impact the game planning process, then it is a worthwhile conversation.

Being informed is one thing.  But there have been reports over the years that Howie dictated which players dressed, playing time for players that sort of thing and handcuffed the coaches.  This was a little blurb thrown into a press conference question without any follow up, so we don't know the extent. But when these reports have come up in the past people would say they didn't believe that Howie was involved in anything related to game day.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Being informed is one thing.  But there have been reports over the years that Howie dictated which players dressed, playing time for players that sort of thing and handcuffed the coaches.  This was a little blurb thrown into a press conference question without any follow up, so we don't know the extent. But when these reports have come up in the past people would say they didn't believe that Howie was involved in anything related to game day.

Towards the end doug was starting to elude to this as well. Have to wonder if Gannon is now getting fed up and starting to say it's not all him too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Rumors over the years about Howie involved in game day decisions seemingly confirmed by Gannon saying he went over the defensive game plan with Nick and Howie.

That was being discussed on WIP earlier - Decamara seemed to think it was OK and obviously Ritchie was completely against Howie having any involvement, saying he should be involved in procurement not deployment.  I agree with Ritchie.  He has no business being involved in the game plan.  He picks the groceries, the chefs do the cooking.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Towards the end doug was starting to elude to this as well. Have to wonder if Gannon is now getting fed up and starting to say it's not all him too. 

Well, if the crap D is Howie's fault, he better straighten his game plans out. is that what we're saying? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't mind this... I mean look Howie isn't necessarily a football gut but he's a part of the identity. He shouldn't be involved in the game or the game plan but it's OK for him to be involved in what the game plan will be. He picks the players that must fit with the scheme. He's also part of the furniture and will likely outlast Sirianni and Gannon so he provides some level of consistency there too.

That made me LOL.

10 minutes ago, time2rock said:

He picks the groceries, the chefs do the cooking.  

This is a odd analogy. I mean if he doesn't communicate with the chef and know what kind of dish the chef is preparing, then how does he know what type of groceries to get?

I mean the dude is not on the sidelines Jerry Jones style over the shoulder of Gannon here. He is just in on the meeting when it comes to the game plan. Why wouldn't a boss be present for a meeting?

You guys get all up in arms about the weirdest things sometimes.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, time2rock said:

That was being discussed on WIP earlier - Decamara seemed to think it was OK and obviously Ritchie was completely against Howie having any involvement, saying he should be involved in procurement not deployment.  I agree with Ritchie.  He has no business being involved in the game plan.  He picks the groceries, the chefs do the cooking.  

I think it's more about who is active and who they plan on giving PT to.  I have no problem with Howie being in meetings.  He gets to judge the coaches and see what types of players they will use. If he's actually involved in the type of plays called in different situations then that's a problem but I really doubt it

43 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

He is just in on the meeting when it comes to the game plan. Why wouldn't a boss be present for a meeting?

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

2 hours ago, pallidrone said:

This is a odd analogy. I mean if he doesn't communicate with the chef and know what kind of dish the chef is preparing, then how does he know what type of groceries to get?

I mean the dude is not on the sidelines Jerry Jones style over the shoulder of Gannon here. He is just in on the meeting when it comes to the game plan. Why wouldn't a boss be present for a meeting?

You guys get all up in arms about the weirdest things sometimes.

Well I think it is one thing to get feedback from the coaches as to what types of players they are looking for to fit into the schemes they are trying to implement.  But it is another thing to get involved with the game plan - IMO that should be strictly up to the coaches.  It was presented as though Howie was involved with the game plan ... not just sitting in on meetings.  And expressing my opinion (that I side with Ritchie) isn't "getting all up in arms".  There was no rant ... just expressing an opinion.  ;)

4 hours ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Agreed, being involved benefits his ability to do his job. I find it hard to believe that Howie is actually contributing to the game plan in any meaningful way.

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

With that type of engagement you would think the needs would be more obvious come 'procurement' time. Howie could be more in tune to what his coordinator is attempting to do and what he needs for success. As long as he's just a fly on the wall and he's not dictating decisions that's fine.

11 minutes ago, judunno said:

With that type of engagement you would think the needs would be more obvious come 'procurement' time. Howie could be more in tune to what his coordinator is attempting to do and what he needs for success. As long as he's just a fly on the wall and he's not dictating decisions that's fine.

"Involved in game day decisions” does not imply being "a fly on the wall”.  

Lurie trusts this guy with his wallet buying all the groceries. Anyone thinking Howie didn't have say how those groceries were being cooked is oblivious to how this organization works.

3 hours ago, QBhunter58 said:

Agreed, being involved benefits his ability to do his job. I find it hard to believe that Howie is actually contributing to the game plan in any meaningful way.

1 hour ago, judunno said:

54 minutes ago, time2rock said:

"Involved in game day decisions” does not imply being "a fly on the wall”.  

The quote was:

"We set up the game plan a certain way and say, ‘Hey, we want to come out of the game kind of looking like this,’ and we do that with the head coach and with Howie," Gannon said.

Again, we don't know the full extent of that, but this does sound like more than just sitting there listening. Maybe we'll get more clarity eventually. 

Reports during Doug's tenure were that Howie dictated what players would dress on gameday and how they'd be used in rotations. Plus Doug was told he wasn't allowed to keep his coordinators a day after saying he wasn't firing them.

• Like 1