Howie is involved in the game plan per Gannon; Nick clarified it's for personnel decisions only

NOTW

Terrible.  Howie should let the coaches do their jobs.  If they are not up to snuff, then hire better coaches next time.  Gannon has a real exam coming ip.  He may get exposed on MNF.

10 hours ago, time2rock said:

"Involved in game day decisions” does not imply being "a fly on the wall”.  

Also doesn't imply that he's making critical decisions. If he is, then that's micromanagement at its worse.

10 hours ago, NOTW said:

Reports during Doug's tenure were that Howie dictated what players would dress on gameday and how they'd be used in rotations. Plus Doug was told he wasn't allowed to keep his coordinators a day after saying he wasn't firing them.

That would be horrid if he did that every game. I can see where a GM could give input in crisis situations such as with what happened with DB going down. Like hey let's get this guy some more snaps to see what we have given the circumstances. Like evaluating someone to see if they can plug the hole or whether they need to make a move. The coach should be empowered to reject that input though. Just an example.... but input in every game would be excessive. Unfair position to be in when the coach assumes all the risk of those decisions that may not be his. Who knows... we won a Superbowl during Doug's tenure so maybe it was effective. Not my business I don't have all the details. I just know micromanagement sucks.

17 minutes ago, judunno said:

Also doesn't imply that he's making critical decisions. If he is, then that's micromanagement at its worse.

I'm also not implying that he is (part of the critical making process) ... I merely am stating that IF he is then that is a problem.  

• Like 1

I think people are overreacting and building their own narrative into this thing. All Gannon said was that he was GOING OVER the gameplan with Howie. I highly doubt Howie is drawing up any X’s and O’s  Does it not make sense for the GM to know what the plan is?

I mean if they’re going to run a lot of heavy fronts for example, he needs to know if they need an extra DT signed or called up for the game. 

14 hours ago, time2rock said:

Well I think it is one thing to get feedback from the coaches as to what types of players they are looking for to fit into the schemes they are trying to implement.  But it is another thing to get involved with the game plan - IMO that should be strictly up to the coaches.  It was presented as though Howie was involved with the game plan ... not just sitting in on meetings.  And expressing my opinion (that I side with Ritchie) isn't "getting all up in arms".  There was no rant ... just expressing an opinion.  ;)

I mean it was interpreted that way because that is what the Philly fans and media like to do, assume the absolute worst case scenario. There is no room for interpretation and it was all from a throw away comment by Gannon. This is so much to do about nothing, yet it will now be a talking point for months, especially if they struggle on defense. That comment will get a life of it's own, and by the time they play the Packers the narrative will be how Howie is calling the defense plays from the luxury box because a camera caught him picking up the phone once.

My last comment was not necessarily directed to you, just an overall viewpoint on this thread as a whole.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, nipples said:

I think people are overreacting and building their own narrative into this thing. All Gannon said was that he was GOING OVER the gameplan with Howie. I highly doubt Howie is drawing up any X’s and O’s  Does it not make sense for the GM to know what the plan is?

I mean if they’re going to run a lot of heavy fronts for example, he needs to know if they need an extra DT signed or called up for the game. 

That's a good point.  

For reference, here is a slightly more detailed record of the discussion on WIP that I referenced earlier.

https://www.audacy.com/94wip/sports/eagles/jon-ritchie-worried-about-howie-rosemans-involvement

I tuned in when Ritchie was presenting his opinion.

Why would Howie have the game plan "gone over with"- with HIM

Stay in your lane, Howie, or there will be a head on collision coming soon...

17 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Why would Howie have the game plan "gone over with"- with HIM

Stay in your lane, Howie, or there will be a head on collision coming soon...

Exactly.  The coaches should go over their plan, then tell Howie who they need active.  He should have zero input.

I would be curious to know if the Eagles are the only team that do it this way, and I bet they are.

5 hours ago, nipples said:

Good call.

ga.jpg.aebb18561fd1b322c7cc919a7eb75069.jpg

I think it is safe to [/thread] now.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, nipples said:

"Nipples” 

🤣

• Haha 1

Jeez, imagine having a GM wanting to know the game plan so he knows which players to dress or how players are practicing. 

What was he thinking?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Good call.

ga.jpg.aebb18561fd1b322c7cc919a7eb75069.jpg

I think it is safe to [/thread] now.

I'm pretty sure the OP just used basic common sense 

Hey, it got us on page 1 of Google results.  Playing 4-D chess over here.  :smoke:

Google.JPG

• Haha 2

Nick was asked about it in a follow up.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2022/9/15/23355008/eagles-nick-sirianni-clarifies-howie-roseman-role-game-planning-process-janarious-robinson

"We have Howie’s support, and he just wants to help us do our job as best we can do, and that’s how he helps us there in that aspect.”

"But, at the end of the day, I have the say of who’s up on game day and what we need. He’s not sitting in there game-planning with us either.”

I still hold firm that a couple of months from now someone will complain that Howie is looking over Gannon's shoulders telling him what plays to call.

2 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

I still hold firm that a couple of months from now someone will complain that Howie is looking over Gannon's shoulders telling him what plays to call.

I'm sure that will happen.  We've had these reports over the recent years that Howie told Doug who he could dress, directed him in snap counts, told him to bench Wentz for Hurts, etc.  There's always the rumors about how the organization is run.

2 hours ago, EagleVA said:

If the team was in in midseason form taking a day off would be reasonable, they had little to no work during preseason and now they're going to double down on no work??

The team is not in midseason form, they're out of shape, they need to get their arses in shape before the any notion of taking a day off pops into anyone's head.  

And the idea of Howie being consulted (leading) the defensive game plan meetings is just crazy, what in the hell does he know about a defensive game plan??

I posted years ago that Howie was an attention seeking/ego maniac and boy was I right!  He need to get his Mr. Peanut Head out of defensive game planning meetings!! Dude is ruining the team!!!

and this is the most likely culprit.

7 hours ago, nipples said:

I'm not buying Mr. Peanut Head needing to be in gameplan meeting in order to know who needs to be activated on Sunday's, that's a phone call from Sirianni, "bring up so-and-so for Sunday's game, we're going to use him at position ##".

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

I'm not buying Mr. Peanut Head needing to be in gameplan meeting in order to know who needs to be activated on Sunday's, that's a phone call from Sirianni, "bring up so-and-so for Sunday's game, we're going to use him at position ##".

It doesn’t matter if you’re buying it or not. Seems to me you just like to find anything you possibly can to be negative, even if it’s a non-issue. 

3 hours ago, pallidrone said:

Only if we are playing terribly.  :lol:

6 hours ago, nipples said:

It doesn’t matter if you’re buying it or not. Seems to me you just like to find anything you possibly can to be negative, even if it’s a non-issue. 

In some multi-verse somewhere there's a positive optimistic VA that is a half glass full type of dude that we all love.

20 minutes ago, judunno said:

In some multi-verse somewhere there's a positive optimistic VA that is a half glass full type of dude that we all love.

My take is I've criticized Howie plenty in the past and if the DL doesn't produce I'm sure I'll criticize him again soon. So honestly I don't care if he's in meetings or not. He's on the hook either way