God of War

DoWorx

28 minutes ago, opengeo said:

I just started this one -- about 3 hours in -- and it's not holding my interest like it probably should. I've never been into boss fighting type games or games with RTS elements such as this one when I need to instruct Atreus to shoot arrows. Movement is too wonky and linear. I just want open world dammit. Enemy encounters seem to be too scripted and I haven't yet developed any vested interest in the characters. Perhaps the call of No Man's Sky is having an impact? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Will continue and hope my feelings change.

Which difficulty are you playing on? I know you meet bosses pretty quickly

The story is amazing though. It looks good on a 4K with the regular PS4 so I imagine it looks great with the Pro

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Which difficulty are you playing on? I know you meet bosses pretty quickly

The story is amazing though. It looks good on a 4K with the regular PS4 so I imagine it looks great with the Pro

I'm playing it on easy. I almost always do a first play through on easy so I can enjoy the story. So far though...no real story to pull me in. The mother died and now I am making my way to the mountain with Atreus. Music is good. Game looks great, but having just finished TLOU2, I'm not blown away by the visuals.

• Like 1

Just now, opengeo said:

I'm playing it on easy. I almost always do a first play through on easy so I can enjoy the story. So far though...no real story to pull me in. The mother died and now I am making my way to the mountain with Atreus. Music is good. Game looks great, but having just finished TLOU2, I'm not blown away by the visuals.

Well you're comparing a recent game with an older one so yea lol

Story gets a lot better IMO. I'd suggest keep playing but if you don't like it don't force yourself lol

• Like 1

It didn't grab me either @opengeo...I started it like maybe 5 times, and always quit like 3-5hrs in. I did finish it like 3 weeks ago, and It's a pretty short game...Fun enough, but I agree it didn't impress me too much. Glad I completed it though as it is a pretty game.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jrsu37 said:

It didn't grab me either @opengeo...I started it like maybe 5 times, and always quit like 3-5hrs in. I did finish it like 3 weeks ago, and It's a pretty short game...Fun enough, but I agree it didn't impress me too much. Glad I completed it though as it is a pretty game.

Appreciate the feedback. I will definitely continue playing it. Graphics are great...on par with HZD for sure.

On 7/17/2020 at 3:11 PM, Mike030270 said:

Well you're comparing a recent game with an older one so yea lol

Story gets a lot better IMO. I'd suggest keep playing but if you don't like it don't force yourself lol

I don't think that's the issue. I commented on this on the old boards. Just having great optics isn't good enough anymore as a lot of games are doing that. A year or so ago when I played this I gave up halfway. And at that time I believe I compared the game to Uncharted 4 in terms of optics, and that now has been out 4 years. Something about the mechanics of this game just never pulled me in, along with the story. If I found the time maybe I would go back but seeing other people weigh in about it underwhelming them is making me feel better about my decision. 

1 hour ago, JBENT87 said:

I don't think that's the issue. I commented on this on the old boards. Just having great optics isn't good enough anymore as a lot of games are doing that. A year or so ago when I played this I gave up halfway. And at that time I believe I compared the game to Uncharted 4 in terms of optics, and that now has been out 4 years. Something about the mechanics of this game just never pulled me in, along with the story. If I found the time maybe I would go back but seeing other people weigh in about it underwhelming them is making me feel better about my decision. 

I think you're in the minority. Underwhelming? Did you ever look at the reviews of this game?

2 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I think you're in the minority. Underwhelming? Did you ever look at the reviews of this game?

I'm referring to posters in here who are backing up my claims that they don't love it. I looked at the reviews of the game initially which is why I bought it and since then have commented how its not for me, as others are starting to do here. What's the problem?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JBENT87 said:

I'm referring to posters in here who are backing up my claims that they don't love it. I looked at the reviews of the game initially which is why I bought it and since then have commented how its not for me, as others are starting to do here. What's the problem?

Nothing. You can dislike it all you want. You and the others in here are in the minority about it. It's a great game

I owned it, played 2-4 hours maybe and wasn't hooked as everything was such a departure from the original titles (gameplay, mythology, story mechanics). Then some amount of time later (on the original EMB), there was a thread and EVERYONE was raving how awesome the game was. Because of that I put it back in, started from the beginning, and really enjoyed the journey and the experience, even though it is jarring early on and takes some time to adjust to the new changes.

But I've never seen where people on the EMB were "meh" on it, and all the online reviews were stellar. 

39 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Nothing. You can dislike it all you want. You and the others in here are in the minority about it. It's a great game

giphy.gif

😛 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Today is a vacation day as I still have about 6 to burn before years end (not including 5 carryover days I’ll take into next year). Using the morning to do errands but Ragnarok will be on my schedule this afternoon and weekend. 

I've been playing the hell out of Ragnarok this weekend. Enjoying it immensely. Thor's voice reminds me of Brolin/Thanos though. I'll look up the voice actors at some point. 

On 11/14/2022 at 10:22 AM, Agent23 said:

I've been playing the hell out of Ragnarok this weekend. Enjoying it immensely. Thor's voice reminds me of Brolin/Thanos though. I'll look up the voice actors at some point. 

i thought the exact same thing

12 hours ago, DoWorx said:

i thought the exact same thing

Odin sounded familiar too. Just looked them both up 

E79FB7E8-C9B9-4B1D-8C28-7C34F0D92A93.png

73A3BADB-0EA1-4B4C-85CD-32D13CB9C77F.png

• Thanks 1

Ragnorok has become one of my favorite games of all time. GoW 4 and Ragnorok are tied for 1st with RDR 1 and 2. Unbelievable game from top to bottom. The highest of recommendations to play if you have not yet done so.

I beat it over the weekend. Still have some post-game items I want to do (I haven't looked up a trophy list yet, so not sure how realistic Platinum is) but I think my most recent save was just shy of 50 hours played so far. 

Looks amazing. I didn't check the trophy guide so I started this on give me god of war thinking I'd just get the difficulty trophy out on the first run. Now it's just my ego keeping me on the difficulty

25 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Looks amazing. I didn't check the trophy guide so I started this on give me god of war thinking I'd just get the difficulty trophy out on the first run. Now it's just my ego keeping me on the difficulty

Bro I chose give me story. If any nonsense game as a difficulty trophy my ass is abandoning the platinum quest before I get my first trophy (to the best of my knowledge, there are no difficulty-specific trophies). 

1 minute ago, Agent23 said:

Bro I chose give me story. If any nonsense game as a difficulty trophy my ass is abandoning the platinum quest before I get my first trophy (to the best of my knowledge, there are no difficulty-specific trophies). 

I checked and there isn't any but I haven't lowered it. A friend of mine has already beaten it on one of the lower difficulties but they've played more

Once you get the hang of blocking and parrying at the right times the only thing that's a struggle is some of the bosses. I'm still near the beginning I think

19 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I checked and there isn't any but I haven't lowered it. A friend of mine has already beaten it on one of the lower difficulties but they've played more

Once you get the hang of blocking and parrying at the right times the only thing that's a struggle is some of the bosses. I'm still near the beginning I think

I dropped once I got to these gravestone arseholes and even then its a chore on the lowest difficulty. I also don't care an iota about combat these days so I want to be able to progress through the game without getting hung out countless times trying to play a section or encounter 7 different times to finally do it "just right" to win and continue on. 

13 hours ago, Agent23 said:

getting hung out countless times trying to play a section or encounter 7 different times to finally do it "just right" to win and continue on. 

Does this come with age?? Lol. I don't have the desire to do this anymore either. I set the majority of my games at normal difficulty but, after 2-3 tries I change the difficulty to easy to move on. 

I used to try and beat a particular scenario over and over again till I beat whatever it was I'm trying to get past.

I always felt I was cheating the game and myself not to at least beat something on normal mode... Not anymore! 

On 11/29/2022 at 4:37 AM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Does this come with age?? Lol. I don't have the desire to do this anymore either. I set the majority of my games at normal difficulty but, after 2-3 tries I change the difficulty to easy to move on. 

I used to try and beat a particular scenario over and over again till I beat whatever it was I'm trying to get past.

I always felt I was cheating the game and myself not to at least beat something on normal mode... Not anymore! 

It must be an age thing. I want to say Ghost of Tsushima may have been where I started this almost exactly 24 months ago. I had just moved to MN, was living in a hotel for my relocation (and everything here was shutdown/closed because of COVID), so I needed something to kill the time, and playing that game (story, visuals, atmosphere) was extremely enjoyable and eliminating all the repetitious and unnecessarily difficult combat scenarios made the game that much more 10/10 to play and experience. 

I know I beat the early GOW games on hardest difficulty and speed runs and all that which was part of the platinum trophy requirements, but when gaming turns more into "work" than "pleasure" it reaches the point where it's no longer meant for me.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

beat the main quest the weekend prior to thanksgiving. Did some post game quests after main story conclusion, but still that weekend. Didn't touch the game from Mon 11/21 until Mon 12/19, but within 5-6 hours of continuing my play about a full month later, I got my platinum.

One hack I did enable: if you go into accessibility settings, there is an option to checkpoint boss fights at the mid-point. Basically what that means is so long as you get a bosses health bar down to 50%, if you are killed you re-start the encounter with the bosses health at 50%. It also gives you full life bar and full rage to start each of those encounters with the boss already at half. 

Now I didn't learn/realize this until the final boss of the game (in Muspelheim), but it helped a ton. I also forgot about resurrection stones, so I had other Berserker battles in the game I probably played about 10 times over, because I'd get killed when I had their health down to about 10%, and getting to come back to life and just land 3-5 more blows would have won me so many of those :lol: