Has Kelce overtaken Dawkins as the #1 fan favorite?

Portyansky

I don't think you have to chose between either, but it's hard for the average fan to see what a Center did that made a play happen on average snap.

If a Safety gets a sack, strips the ball, hits a person that their soul comes out on the field, and/or gets an INT especially in a crucial situation to win the game that's hard to compete especially when you add in the marvel comic wolverine dance.

Then again maybe Kelce will get a play that has him wear the cape making him BATMAN that would make the two of them equal (of course Kelce also has to make it into the HOF which I doubt anyone doubts he will do once he retires).

Dawkins and Ed Reed revolutionized the safety position.  He'll always have the #1 spot because not only was he a local legend, the guy changed the game in a way very, very few players do. 

Kelce is going to be right up there because not only is he a HOF level player, he did something Dawk never did - he brought home a 'chip.

They're about as solid a #1 and #2 as you can get.

On 10/12/2022 at 11:31 AM, Portyansky said:

In my mind he has. Thoughts?

Recency bias.  

It depends on the generation of the fan.   Younger fans that can't recall Dawkins?  Absolutely.  Older fans?  Maybe.   Not for me, personally.  But, that's no slight to Kelce.   Coming in second to Dawkins is hardly an insult.

• Like 2

I think both Dawk and Kelce relate to the fanbase in unique ways.  Dawk was a hard-hitting, do-it-all Safety who electrified the fans with his Wolverine stuff and his tenacious hitting.  I think Philly is a "defense town"...as in, fans tend to really love dominant defensive players who have a rep of being fierce hitters.

Kelce, on the other hand, is an offensive Center.  He's not gonna really fire up the fans by way of hitting (except for the true footballers who see him pulling out and running down field to flatten someone).  Kelce relates to the fans as people...he's almost like one of us.  A gritty, beer-guzzling guy that just understands us and how we think.  His parade speech is the best speech from a Philadelphia player I've ever heard.  

Neither of them is the No.1 fan favorite and neither is No. 2.  They're just simply fan favorites and 2 of the greatest Eagles of all time (if not the greatest).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JournalistMic said:

Then again maybe Kelce will get a play that has him wear the cape making him BATMAN that would make the two of them equal (of course Kelce also has to make it into the HOF which I doubt anyone doubts he will do once he retires).

Unknown.jpeg.91e95f0c636532c9b66ad4ee98755030.jpeg

This man doesn't need a Batman cape.

Actual greatness doesn't need to have one guy measured against another.  Dawkins was great.  Kielce is great.  Greatness just is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not so sure about recency bias. Since they played so close together (kelce and Dawk overlapped here for  a year right?) I think most people old enough to be posting on this antequated form of social media are also old enough to remember Dawk very well.

I could see them being equal.

For those saying no, not a chance, hasnt reached that level yet, etc- What else would you need to see from Kelce?

24 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Not so sure about recency bias. Since they played so close together (kelce and Dawk overlapped here for  a year right?) I think most people old enough to be posting on this antequated form of social media are also old enough to remember Dawk very well.

For those saying no, not a chance, hasnt reached that level yet, etc- What else would you need to see from Kelce?

Kelce was drafted in '11, only bright spot from that draft

Dawk left Philly after '08 season. Retired after '11 season iirc.

So 1 yr career overlap but never teammates 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Kelce was drafted in '11, only bright spot from that draft

Dawk left Philly after '08 season. Retired after '11 season iirc.

So 1 yr career overlap but never teammates 

I see. But overlapping of the eras. Point stands. I think most people here are old enough to remember both.

Dawk has a very dry personality, but he had a really cool, intense alter-ego in games, and occasionally in speeches. He has really cool highlight videos of his hits. He embodied the toughness of the city with his intimidating play style. And the work ethic to work his way to what he became. He never lead the team to a super bowl. 

Kelce was a late round pick from a smaller program and worked his way up too. Not just that, but as an undersized guy. Who even many philly fans were down on at one point. Kelce is every bit as tough as Dawk was. I dont think people realize the injuries he plays through. And how many others would have missed a ton of games with the same injuries. He has personality all the time. But also delivers rabblerousing speeches. He is much more vocal, and any time he speaks about the city or its fans, he is spot on. He gets it. He delivered a super bowl to the city. He just never had someone make a highlight video with cool music of all his pancake blocks. Maybe thats what he needs.

I dont know. I fail to see what he lacks for some people to not have him on that same level yet. He quite honestly probably has a stronger case.

Rather than recency bias maybe what is going on is, whatever the opposite is. Maybe people tend to enjoy the nostalgia of Dawk more than what we are currently seeing with Kelce even if it is just as great, or greater.

58 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Rather than recency bias maybe what is going on is, whatever the opposite is. Maybe people tend to enjoy the nostalgia of Dawk more than what we are currently seeing with Kelce even if it is just as great, or greater.

Also possible.  Nostalgia bias.  

One thing is true though... some of the things we loved Dawkins for wouldn't be legal today.

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

I see. But overlapping of the eras. Point stands. I think most people here are old enough to remember both.

Dawk has a very dry personality, but he had a really cool, intense alter-ego in games, and occasionally in speeches. He has really cool highlight videos of his hits. He embodied the toughness of the city with his intimidating play style. And the work ethic to work his way to what he became. He never lead the team to a super bowl. 

Kelce was a late round pick from a smaller program and worked his way up too. Not just that, but as an undersized guy. Who even many philly fans were down on at one point. Kelce is every bit as tough as Dawk was. I dont think people realize the injuries he plays through. And how many others would have missed a ton of games with the same injuries. He has personality all the time. But also delivers rabblerousing speeches. He is much more vocal, and any time he speaks about the city or its fans, he is spot on. He gets it. He delivered a super bowl to the city. He just never had someone make a highlight video with cool music of all his pancake blocks. Maybe thats what he needs.

I dont know. I fail to see what he lacks for some people to not have him on that same level yet. He quite honestly probably has a stronger case.

That's an interesting take.  I never really perceived his personality as "dry". 

Dawk was never dry... you can't have seen this video if you think he is

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/opYVCGFGF1g" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Can anyone help me with the video embed please?

1 hour ago, kiwinavega said:

Dawk was never dry... you can't have seen this video if you think he is

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/opYVCGFGF1g" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Can anyone help me with the video embed please?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Dawkins last year with the Eagles was 2008.  Kecle was drafted in 2011.  

They have two different arcs.  Dawkins didn't really become the player he became until his 4th season in 1999 when Jim Johnson arrived.  But from 1999 to 2008 he was the man with the way he played and the enthusiasm he brought to the field and how he used it to play at his high energy level.  Kelce was pretty decent early in his career, missed some significant time in his second season but I also thought he had some pretty down years in the early/mid part of his career in his 20s.  Not a lot of consistency, looked good one year then bad the next sort of thing.  He looked like a replaceable player at center as he was nearing the end of his 20s. But by age 28/29 he suddenly not only became a very consistent player but also took his level of play to an entirely different level.  And since then he has been the best center in the league and helped bring this team a Super Bowl finally.  Super Bowl Parade Speech only adds to his legend.  

So it's tough to say.  I remember the same question was asked and discussed on this board maybe 2 years ago and at the time I thought it was silly.  But he's just had more All Pro seasons since then and now this team is 5-0 and maybe headed towards another Super Bowl.  So at this point I think he is at least even with Dawkins in my eyes.  If he helps the Eagles get a second Super Bowl this year then it won't be a question anymore and Kelce will be that man.  If Brandon Graham comes up with another huge play in this hypothetical second Super Bowl and the Eagles win then you would even have to start questioning where fans are with their love for Graham in comparison to Dawkins.   

Graham is an interesting case.  An all time great for the franchise but not in the league, he won't sniff the Hall of Fame.  But I think there is a good chance he gets his number retired by the Eagles.  If the Eagles win a second SB and he makes another big play like I said above then I don't think there would be any doubt they retire his jersey.  

When kelce comes out of the tunnel the way Dawk did then we can talk!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

What if he comes out in the Mummers outfit?  

7 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

What if he comes out in the Mummers outfit?  

Meh, still not as cool lol

17 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yeah but he wore a silly Flyers hat!

Screen_Shot_2018_03_08_at_7.49.47_AM.jpeg