Nakobe Dean

BornGreen

On 10/17/2022 at 12:11 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

it's a 235 lb linebacker that ran a 4.78 ( fast for a linebacker) chasing a 156 lb receiver that ran one of the best 40 times in history at 4.31 ? Dude will make anyone look slow AF

4.78 is not fast for a linebacker.   I did not see that he ran a 4.78 either.   He did not run the 40 at the combine or the pro day.   He is likely much faster than 4.78.  Because Dean did not run the 40,  people started mentioning a number (probably the 4.78) that Dean ran in high school.  Maybe Nike sparq camp? 

Before the draft,  there were a lot of articles written - who is better,  Lloyd or Dean?  And pretty much they all said the same thing -  Lloyd is the prototypical size,  is pro ready, and Dean is smaller and is the freakbeast athlete.  This is a pretty wide range but my guess is that Dean's real 40 is somewhere between 4.35 and 4.59. 

On 10/17/2022 at 7:41 PM, DaEagles4Life said:

He was never know for his speed but his instincts are absolutely elite. Always in the right spot and a pretty good blitzer for a LB. 

He WAS and IS known for his speed.   He was hurt and didn't run at combine or pro day.  Garbage media sometimes plugged in his high school 40 when they didn't have college or post college data.  The high school data was 4.74.    He was assumed by all the opinion people to be faster than Lloyd in the "who is better" articles. 

On 10/20/2022 at 12:43 PM, Random Reglar said:

He WAS and IS known for his speed.   He was hurt and didn't run at combine or pro day.  Garbage media sometimes plugged in his high school 40 when they didn't have college or post college data.  The high school data was 4.74.    He was assumed by all the opinion people to be faster than Lloyd in the "who is better" articles. 

Going from 4.7 to 4.3 is a major jump. I haven’t seen that kind of burst from Dean yet in the NFL. I think it’s good the Eagles are taking their time with him, because right now he doesn’t seem NFL starter ready. 

• Like 1

I am incredibly happy that GM Howie drafted LB Dean, because I really wanted him on the Eagles along with Jordan Davis. They have fantastic chemistry that being said, you have to trust the coaches judgement and that the best player plays. That best player is Edwards, but I agree if the Eagles are blowing out the Steelers by three or four touchdowns at half time they should let the backups like dean get more snaps for experience. 

• Like 3

I think we'll see more of Dean as the season wears on.  Just a hunch

Edwards will get exposed, he had a rough game vs the Cowboys

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

Edwards has  been damn good all year. one non stellar game doesn't feel like he was exposed...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

Edwards has  been damn good all year. one non stellar game doesn't feel like he was exposed...

Hes been ok all year

On 10/21/2022 at 10:36 AM, Mike31mt said:

MILB TJ Edwards recorded 14 tackles (six solo) and one pass defense in the win over the Dallas Cowboys - Rotowire - October 12, 2022

-----------------

That would make the most tackles TJ Edwards has had in a single game this season. Qb ratings this season for TJ Edwards 56.9  

---------------------------------

Nakobe Dean played 20 snaps against Dallas

TJ Edwards played 65 snaps against Dallas  

TheEaglesWire - USA Today - October 17. 2022 6:31am EST

--------------------
Photo below - Rotowire 

image.thumb.png.b2862a9ae26166a01e47aafd1c385880.png

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2022 at 5:09 AM, EazyEaglez said:

Going from 4.7 to 4.3 is a major jump. I haven’t seen that kind of burst from Dean yet in the NFL. I think it’s good the Eagles are taking their time with him, because right now he doesn’t seem NFL starter ready. 

everybody on the georgia defense was 4.3 or 4.4.   Jordan Davis at 341 was 4.78 40.  I have no idea if he's NFL starter ready.  It's just that he should be fast and something like 4.45 seems right.

On 10/21/2022 at 10:51 AM, Shalodeep said:

You're just making crap up. He was the busiest on the field bc everything was dink and dunk. It's impossible for a LB to shut everyone down.

14 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

You're just making crap up. He was the busiest on the field bc everything was dink and dunk. It's impossible for a LB to shut everyone down.

I'm not badmouthing the kid .... I'm actually a big fan. I want to extend him in spite of people clamoring for Dean 

18 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

everybody on the georgia defense was 4.3 or 4.4.   Jordan Davis at 341 was 4.78 40.  I have no idea if he's NFL starter ready.  It's just that he should be fast and something like 4.45 seems right.

Well if he’s running a 4.4 it’s not showing on the field yet at all. 

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Well if he’s running a 4.4 it’s not showing on the field yet at all. 

that could be right, I'm not looking closely.

8 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

that could be right, I'm not looking closely.

Back in the day, before he became a starter I remember a young Willie T was absolutely standing out on special teams. He was consistently being one of the first guys downfield making plays as a rookie. Eventually he became a starter for the team and turned into a nice linebacker for the Eagles and the Raiders. Nakobe Dean hasn’t really stood out like that at all. In fact if anything he’s stood out in a negative light after he was one of the reasons why the Cowboys got these huge KO return by losing containment. I’m not ready to call Dean some kind of bust, but I don’t think he’s close to living up to the hype around him. On a side note if he were running a 4.4 you would think he’d be in more special teams plays than he is in right now. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Back in the day, before he became a starter I remember a young Willie T was absolutely standing out on special teams. He was consistently being one of the first guys downfield making plays as a rookie. Eventually he became a starter for the team and turned into a nice linebacker for the Eagles and the Raiders. Nakobe Dean hasn’t really stood out like that at all. In fact if anything he’s stood out in a negative light after he was one of the reasons why the Cowboys got these huge KO return by losing containment. I’m not ready to call Dean some kind of bust, but I don’t think he’s close to living up to the hype around him. On a side note if he were running a 4.4 you would think he’d be in more special teams plays than he is in right now. 

Maybe he has never played special teams before and is being hesitant with his movement. Can't call a guy a bust when he isn't even playing the position he was drafted for. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Maybe he has never played special teams before and is being hesitant with his movement. Can't call a guy a bust when he isn't even playing the position he was drafted for. 

I thought I was making it clear I wasn’t calling him a bust.😂

6 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I thought I was making it clear I wasn’t calling him a bust.😂

I read it how I want too!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, opa-opa said:

Didnt he run a 4.52?

the data is just not there.  he didn't run at the combine or pro day.  some colleges have their players all run on the same day and those results are often reported.  I tried to look for numbers like that and I couldn't find them.   The only number is a number from before college, a 4.74, which wouldn't be right.  

People said that Davis was faster than Lloyd.  Lloyd ran a 4.66.  Assuming that people were right,  Dean is 4.65 or faster.  People guessed 4.4 something for Dean.  But there is no data.

19 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

It's a reasonable argument, I really don't know. 

10 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

It's a reasonable argument, I really don't know. 

Overall I like how the Eagles are using him though. Take it slow and let him develop properly.

Jeremiah Trotter hardly saw the field as a rookie and ended the season with 3 tackles, playing behind Willis. He took over the following year and played really well. He was an All Pro in his 3rd season. 

It's very likely a starting role will be up for grabs next season and Dean is the clear frontrunner. 

On 10/27/2022 at 8:25 PM, brkmsn said:

Jeremiah Trotter hardly saw the field as a rookie and ended the season with 3 tackles, playing behind Willis. He took over the following year and played really well. He was an All Pro in his 3rd season. 

It's very likely a starting role will be up for grabs next season and Dean is the clear frontrunner. 

Or they bring White and Edwards back. Both have been outstanding. Not sure how Dean is a front runner right now. He hasn’t nearly had any time to prove he deserves that. 

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Or they bring White and Edwards back. Both have been outstanding. Not sure how Dean is a front runner right now. He hasn’t nearly had any time to prove he deserves that. 

Our list of UFAs after this season is too large to bring everybody back. Dean can play Mike or Will, played well in TC and preseason and is awaiting his opportunity. Managing the salary cap requires drafting players that can replace higher priced players. My expectation is that the Eagles will try to re-sign one of our two starters with Edwards being the most likely target since he wears the green dot. 

Edwards is probably looking at a 4-year, $60M contract, White will probably sign a 3 year, $40M contract. I actually think the one they keep will sign the extension this season. If either hits free agency, I think we will get out-bid by another team --- especially if Gannon gets a HC job. 

On 10/21/2022 at 10:56 AM, Mike31mt said:

Hes been ok all year

This

he just hasnt sucked but alot of that is having more talent on the D overall