Nakobe Dean

BornGreen

On 10/27/2022 at 8:25 PM, brkmsn said:

Jeremiah Trotter hardly saw the field as a rookie and ended the season with 3 tackles, playing behind Willis. He took over the following year and played really well. He was an All Pro in his 3rd season. 

It's very likely a starting role will be up for grabs next season and Dean is the clear frontrunner. 

I tend to agree

as much as i like K White im just not sure we can afford him/keep him. Isnt edwards an ufa as well?

19 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Yeah. I think we will try hard to keep one of them.

Edwards would probably be cheaper but im not sure

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Yeah. I think we will try hard to keep one of them.

Yep, I expect they’ll keep one and let the other go. Dean will have a shot at whichever starting job opens up. 

• Like 2

Just curious as to why so many seem to think Dean is a lock to be a starter right now. This whole situation seems very similar to the Sidney Jones situation. People thought that pick was the greatest pick ever at the time. He was also coming off an injury that made him drop. The Eagles were winning games and eventually won the Super Bowl. He was eventually put into the lineup and he didn’t pan out. I don’t know if this is the full future of Dean, but it feel like a cautionary one. Dean should not be anointed the starter. He should have to earn the job too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Dean should not be anointed the starter. He should have to earn the job too.

Who said he isn't? The Eagles have business decisions to make with TJ Edwards, and K. White after the season --- both at a position the Eagles tend to invest little cap space toward. If Dean is practicing well, the Eagles will most certainly expect him to start if they can't keep one or both UFAs. 

7 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Who said he isn't? The Eagles have business decisions to make with TJ Edwards, and K. White after the season --- both at a position the Eagles tend to invest little cap space toward. If Dean is practicing well, the Eagles will most certainly expect him to start if they can't keep one or both UFAs. 

Yes very true. The hope is they don't need to pay White and Edwards because Dean can replace one of them. But at this point we don't know if Dean can be a good NFL LB. We have hope that he can be but we don't know. 

Those LBs have sort of got lost in the limelight of everything else that has been going on but they have been a major upgrade over the last couple of years.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Just curious as to why so many seem to think Dean is a lock to be a starter right now. This whole situation seems very similar to the Sidney Jones situation. People thought that pick was the greatest pick ever at the time. He was also coming off an injury that made him drop. The Eagles were winning games and eventually won the Super Bowl. He was eventually put into the lineup and he didn’t pan out. I don’t know if this is the full future of Dean, but it feel like a cautionary one. Dean should not be anointed the starter. He should have to earn the job too.

I think the expectations are higher because Dean was the leader on one of the most talented defenses in NCAA history. He stood out as a star even among other superstars. It's kind of a similar situation to Justin Jefferson being a noticeably amazing talent at LSU on one of the most stacked offenses ever.

Plus, I have to imagine that a shoulder injury for a LB (that by the way, caused Dean to miss no time) is much easier to overcome than a season-ending Achilles injury to a CB.

9 hours ago, Kz! said:

I think the expectations are higher because Dean was the leader on one of the most talented defenses in NCAA history. He stood out as a star even among other superstars. It's kind of a similar situation to Justin Jefferson being a noticeably amazing talent at LSU on one of the most stacked offenses ever.

Plus, I have to imagine that a shoulder injury for a LB (that by the way, caused Dean to miss no time) is much easier to overcome than a season-ending Achilles injury to a CB.

Perhaps, but did Dean stick out at all when he was going against 3-4 stringers in the preseason? Has he really stood out on special teams? I really hope this guy lives up to the hype, but I need to see it.