Time To Think Ahead About The #1 Seed?

Alphagrand

They say players, coaches, and GMs don’t want to think too far ahead beyond the next opponent — but as a fan I’m free to think further on toward the end of the season, and with a 6-0 record heading into the bye week I start to look at the schedule and count how many losses are there.  The number doesn’t get very high.

Heading into the season my prediction for the Eagles season record was 10-7, and I shifted toward 11-6 when they acquired CGJ to play safety.  I figured that would be a #4 or 5 seed and likely another early playoff loss on the road.  My current prediction after 6 weeks of play is 13-4 and I wonder if that might be selling the team short.

Add the fact that the Packers, Rams, and Bucs have all started 3-3 and those were the teams I predicted would be the top 3 NFC seeds, it is definitely thought provoking.  The Vikings are 5-1 and the Eagles currently own a tiebreaker over them.  The Giants are 5-1 and …. they’re the Giants.  The Turds are 4-2 and the Eagles currently have a tiebreaker over them — essentially more than a 2-game lead.

If the Eagles can stay reasonably healthy I have to think the NFC playoffs could go through the Linc again.  I don’t really care about an undefeated record — but the #1 seed is a very tangible goal, and looking well within reach 

• Like 2

Too much season in front of us to get too far ahead of ourselves. We can daydream, of course. I dream of visions of 20-0 being emblazoned on a giant diamond ring next summer, but at the same time I know that 6-0 is a far cry from 20-0.

Right now, all I know is that we're guaranteed not to lose this week. But homefield is definitely a good thing to daydream about. 

• Like 7

I like your thinking! Until we lose a game, if we do, I will dream of that 70s unbeaten Dolphins team having to keep this year's Champagne on ice forever. Health will be so important, but we are winning games in lots of different ways, with different units contributing the lion's share in different games - pass rush, pass coverage, rushing attack, passing attack all being lead contributors to at least one win. No team in the NFC scares me. Sirianni and his coaches are coming up with excellent plans and, while I'd like them to be better in Q3, they are playing so well in the first half that they have been able to coast a little. Can we secure HFA and the only NFC bye week? Yes. Will we? I don't know, but I am sure looking forward to watching the games to find out!

17 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

No it's not, still have 11 games

Old cliche of  "1 game (opponent) at a time” approach.  That will be my mantra. These  EAGLES version are relentless,  resilient  & seems to be finding ways to win games whatever the adversity they present.  It may be ugly, but a win is still a win.  Something special is brewing here.  Just enjoy the ride. This bye week couldn’t have come at a critical juncture in the season.  Time to heal up the banged up players plus, I was so not impressed with how Howie was handling trade deadline & signings before … but now, I’m excited to see the piece(s) he might add to make a superbowl run.  Fly EAGLES Fly !!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

Didnt the Cardinals start 7-0 last year?

Yes, and Pitt was 10-0 the year before. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, CalgarEAGLES said:

Old cliche of  "1 game (opponent) at a time” approach.  That will be my mantra. These  EAGLES version are relentless,  resilient  & seems to be finding ways to win games whatever the adversity they present.  It may be ugly, but a win is still a win.  Something special is brewing here.  Just enjoy the ride. This bye week couldn’t have come at a critical juncture in the season.  Time to heal up the banged up players plus, I was so not impressed with how Howie was handling trade deadline & signings before … but now, I’m excited to see the piece(s) he might add to make a superbowl run.  Fly EAGLES Fly !!!!!!!!!

Completely agree, I'm just enjoying each week. As fans it doesn't matter if we look ahead but, damn we aren't even at the halfway point and people are talking about free agents and the draft and the super bowl. 

The Cardinals started 7-0, lost to a 6-1 Packers team, and then their QB and WR1 both got hurt. (Murray played at 85-90% for all but the 2 games he missed) They also lost JJ Watt for the season after game 7. Using them as an example is meaningless unless you can predict injuries. If the Bills lose Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs, and Von Miller they will be in trouble too.

The 2020 Steelers were a weird team that was all great D with a bad offense. They lost Bud Dupree and the great D became very good but not enough to carry a bad offense maybe? Their QB was 38 with a dead arm after a serious injury in 2019. Its also a bad example.

Here are the 10 teams they beat to start 10-0

• 6-10 Giants
  • 5-11 Broncos
  • 4-12 Texans
  • 4-11-1 Eagles
  • 6-10 Cowboys
  • 4-11-1 Bengals
  • 1-15 Jags
  • They also swept the 11-5 Ravens and beat the 11-5 Browns
  • That's 3 nice wins and 7 tomato cans.

This Eagles team appears to be dominant on both sides of the ball. They are also balanced on offense. The schedule is butter soft and they have beaten 2 of the 3 other NFC teams with winning records. This team has 2 maybe good QBs left on the schedule in Rodgers without WRs(meh?) and Dak (Dak is not good overall, but he's good in the NFC East. I don't expect him to be good vs this secondary) Injuries might happen to any team but they don't happen due to message board conversations.

The 2004 Eagles started 6-0 and got the 1 seed. It was never too early to talk about the 1 seed that year.

The 2017 Eagles started 5-1, also never too early.

The 1980 Eagles started 5-1, they lost to Atlanta so they got a bye and the 2 seed. It was never to early to talk about their future.

• Like 1

This team will go 13-4 with the 4th loss being meaningless. Then they will beat the ish out of the Rams in the Divisional round and then beat SF by 4 in the NFCCG. 

And then....

Lose to the Bills in the SB by 2. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Obviously would love 20-0.

But as long as we win in February, that's all that really matters. 

FLY EAGLES FLY!

Way too much football to play to start really thinking about the #1 seed. This team has made a great start but NY and Minnesota are only a game back and NY have a very easy schedule.

My Preseason prediction was 13-4, NFC Champs, #1 Seed NFC Conference, Bye Week.   They are 6-0 and now people are wondering if the Eagles could pull off the impossible and have the Perfect Season.  Hey, it's the 50th Anniversary of the 72' Dolphins and the 22' Eagles already have their attention with how they are playing.    Look any given Sunday, anything can happen.  I think this team has a good shot at 9-0 going into the Indy game. That means wins against the Steelers and Texans next week (8-0) and then against Washington on Monday Night, 9-0.   

After that is Indy and Greenbay.  If they somehow come out that 11-0 then we can start looking at them being a threat to go undefeated possibly.  The issue  is the December Division games and will the Eagles rest starters if they have everything locked up.   Let's say they got 13-0 and the Division and #1 seed is locked up with 4 weeks go (The 2004 Team did that) will everyone really be playing in those last games against Dallas, Saints and Giants?  Also the Eagles are already on a 9 game winning streak right now with Jalen behind center since last year.   

Way too much season left to think about the #1 seed. There is still no guarantee they even win their division with the Giants and Cowboys so close. I think playoffs are a given but nothing is guaranteed after that to this point.

2 hours ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

Way too much season left to think about the #1 seed. There is still no guarantee they even win their division with the Giants and Cowboys so close. I think playoffs are a given but nothing is guaranteed after that to this point.

Agreed. NY are a real problem because they aren't going away and they keep winning these tight games where things go their way. 

In the end the only thing that matters is winning the Super Bowl, look at the Phillies they were the best going into the Post Season and now they are in the

WORLD SERIES!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wrestlevessel said:

Talking about 1 seed with Giants breathing down our necks. 🤣

You're really a huge cry baby, aren't you?

Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

You're really a huge cry baby, aren't you?

Well if they actually would lose sometimes I'd relax but they don't.

• Like 1

Just now, wrestlevessel said:

Well if they actually would lose sometimes I'd relax but they don't.

You do realize, the Eagles, have been winning, right?

• Like 1

This is like the label the MLB website displays on its scoreboard when a pitcher has a no-hitter through five innings. I doubt the Eagles themselves are thinking much beyond the Steelers game coming up on October 30.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, wrestlevessel said:

Talking about 1 seed with Giants breathing down our necks. 🤣

Eagles defeated Cowboys, Cowboys had defeated the NY Giants. 

Hopes are high that Eagles sweep Giants, Cowboys and Commanders (maybe they change their team name again after the next beating)?

3 minutes ago, jwmiii said:

This is like the label the MLB website displays on its scoreboard when a pitcher has a no-hitter through five innings. I doubt the Eagles themselves are thinking much beyond the Steelers game coming up on October 30.

One game at a time. Teams that look to far ahead tend to lose the games in front of them.

When fans take on the "1 game at a time" mantra, it both cracks me up but is respectable.  For a fan to think this way, it can only be superstition or fear of getting your hopes up only to have them dashed.  Players and coaches can't think ahead, but fans sure and hell can. 

That said, I'm in the "don't get ahead of ourselves" mindset.  I'm enjoying being 6-0 with a true sense of excitement about this team, but I also know the wheels can fall off at any time.   

• Like 1