Brees and Michael Thomas

CaliEagle

People these days are way too sensitive. There was absolutely nothing wrong with what Drew said. I wish he didn't apologize, but that's how it is now. We live in a "cancel culture"  society.

1 hour ago, PhillyPhreak24 said:

People these days are way too sensitive. There was absolutely nothing wrong with what Drew said. I wish he didn't apologize, but that's how it is now. We live in a "cancel culture"  society.

I didn't have a problem with Brees speaking his mind. He was honest.

This is screwed up though. Its slightly off topic and I'll let it be.

EZtv2_zUEAAfu2z.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Boogyman said:

I didn't have a problem with Brees speaking his mind. He was honest.

This is screwed up though. Its slightly off topic and I'll let it be.

EZtv2_zUEAAfu2z.jpeg

I thought the shut up and dribble comment was this year because Lebron did say something this year

23 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I thought the shut up and dribble comment was this year because Lebron did say something this year

No its was 2018. I think Lebron even made a cable special called shut up and dribble as a response

On 6/4/2020 at 5:12 AM, Toastrel said:

Brees is entitled to his opinion. The rest of the world is entitled to theirs of him. I think Brees just lost the locker room.

The really stupid part of this, is the kneeling was respect for the flag. Kaepernick sat in protest until a soldier wrote to tell him that was disrespectful, so he took a knee.

Because a veteran, a Green beret, asked him not to sit, but take a knee, out of respect.

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/09/646115651/the-veteran-and-nfl-player-who-advised-kaepernick-to-take-a-knee

What planet are you on?  The kneeling is flipping the finger at the flag.

7 hours ago, Procus said:

What planet are you on?  The kneeling is flipping the finger at the flag.

That is what idiots think, yes.

On 6/4/2020 at 12:41 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I mean he's apologised now but it's surely too late?

Verified

To @realdonaldtrump
Through my ongoing conversations with friends, teammates, and leaders in the black community, I realize this is not an issue about the American flag. It has never been. We can no longer use the flag to turn people away or distract them from the real issues that face our black communities.
We did this back in 2017, and regretfully I brought it back with my comments this week. We must stop talking about the flag and shift our attention to the real issues of systemic racial injustice, economic oppression, police brutality, and judicial & prison reform.
We are at a critical juncture in our nation’s history! If not now, then when?

We as a white community need to listen and learn from the pain and suffering of our black communities. We must acknowledge the problems, identify the solutions, and then put this into action. The black community cannot do it alone. This will require all of us.

This might go a very long way. Kudos to Drew.

Brees' comments were untimely for sure, but I hate that you can't have a dissenting opinion in this country anymore.  Guy says something he believes and immediately has to walk it back because its not in line with current group think. 

17 hours ago, The Norseman said:

Brees' comments were untimely for sure, but I hate that you can't have a dissenting opinion in this country anymore.  Guy says something he believes and immediately has to walk it back because its not in line with current group think. 

I mean, it was just dumb. Yeah, he's entitled to his opinion, but he also has the realize where he works and what's going on in the world around him. There was nothing gracious in that initial message, no recognition of what the ongoing crisis is about. If he had at least given a nod to the protestors in that message to go along with acknowledged the reality of police brutality AFTER getting lit up on Twitter with for the flag-waving remark that called the protestors "disrespectful." To the 70% of the league who is black, Brees just looked like another out-of-touch privileged white boy from Texas who doesn't get it. Maybe next time, Brees shouldn't be so quick to run to Twitter with what will obviously be incendiary political remarks. That comes with the territory of being an NFL megastar.

Besides, this couldn't be happening to a finer group of a-holes in NO.

On 6/3/2020 at 5:51 PM, greenskeeper said:

Brees is a Patriot

Kapernick is a TURD

Brees is just another half-witted good-ole boy from Texas who can throw a ball. Unfortunately, ball-skills don't translate to people skills. Strong-armed, but small-minded.

19 hours ago, The Norseman said:

You are free to have any opinion you want You are also free to have the consequences when you express it in public.

3 hours ago, Toastrel said:

You are free to have any opinion you want You are also free to have the consequences when you express it in public.

And the consequences for a dissenting opinion are devastating.  So no, you really aren't free to air your thoughts are you?

10 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I mean, it was just dumb. Yeah, he's entitled to his opinion, but he also has the realize where he works and what's going on in the world around him. There was nothing gracious in that initial message, no recognition of what the ongoing crisis is about. If he had at least given a nod to the protestors in that message to go along with acknowledged the reality of police brutality AFTER getting lit up on Twitter with for the flag-waving remark that called the protestors "disrespectful." To the 70% of the league who is black, Brees just looked like another out-of-touch privileged white boy from Texas who doesn't get it. Maybe next time, Brees shouldn't be so quick to run to Twitter with what will obviously be incendiary political remarks. That comes with the territory of being an NFL megastar.

Besides, this couldn't be happening to a finer group of a-holes in NO.

No he didn't.  He said that he didn't agree with people disrespecting our flag.  He suggested that we are all Americans and honoring our country and our flag promotes unity.  He was trying to bring people together.  He even acknowledged that there is a lot wrong with our country that needs fixing.  

Twisting his words to make him some sort of a racist is ridiculous.  

I agree his timing was bad and he wasn't thinking of the backlash he'd get from his peers in the league.  But that's exactly my point.  You can only think about this one way.  If Drew Brees or anyone else voices any deviation from the masses they are instantly eviscerated.  

Free speech only works one way in this country now.

2 hours ago, The Norseman said:

No he didn't.  He said that he didn't agree with people disrespecting our flag.  He suggested that we are all Americans and honoring our country and our flag promotes unity.  He was trying to bring people together.  He even acknowledged that there is a lot wrong with our country that needs fixing.  

Twisting his words to make him some sort of a racist is ridiculous.  

I agree his timing was bad and he wasn't thinking of the backlash he'd get from his peers in the league.  But that's exactly my point.  You can only think about this one way.  If Drew Brees or anyone else voices any deviation from the masses they are instantly eviscerated.  

Free speech only works one way in this country now.

Woah, wait a sec.  Nobody fined Brees.  Nobody fired him or jailed him.  I'm pretty sure you would agree free speech is the right to say it, not the right to have other people nod their heads in silence when you say it.

1 hour ago, dawkins4prez said:

Woah, wait a sec.  Nobody fined Brees.  Nobody fired him or jailed him.  I'm pretty sure you would agree free speech is the right to say it, not the right to have other people nod their heads in silence when you say it.

It's almost like people say sheet and don't want any backlash. The minute they get backlash then they claim the don't have freedom of speech like they are supposed to. 

You can say whatever the hell you want you just have to accept the backlash that comes with it. 

It's like the dopes that come in my store that beech they have to wear masks and it's a free country. They are absolutely free to come into my store with out a mask, just like I'm free to tell them to get the F out for not wearing one.  Freedom works both ways. 

1 hour ago, dawkins4prez said:

That's exactly the point.  Its not the government, or even organizations like the NFL that are stopping free speech these days...its us.  We can't tolerate any diversity of thought anymore.  Social media gave everyone a voice and a stage...but it has somehow simultaneously silenced opinions that don't fit with the current, popular social trend.  It's scary. 

17 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

It's almost like people say sheet and don't want any backlash. The minute they get backlash then they claim the don't have freedom of speech like they are supposed to. 

You can say whatever the hell you want you just have to accept the backlash that comes with it. 

It's like the dopes that come in my store that beech they have to wear masks and it's a free country. They are absolutely free to come into my store with out a mask, just like I'm free to tell them to get the F out for not wearing one.  Freedom works both ways. 

Why would saying that we should respect our flag and our country and find unity in the fact that we are all Americans illicit "backlash"?  Discourse?  Yes.  Disagreement?  Sure.  But Backlash?  

Comments made today that even infer disagreement with popular social trends illicit a visceral reaction and the creator is usually forced to retract them and apologize.  

Am I the only one who sees a problem wit that?  Maybe I'm just getting old, I dunno.  

17 minutes ago, The Norseman said:

That's exactly the point.  Its not the government, or even organizations like the NFL that are stopping free speech these days...its us.  We can't tolerate any diversity of thought anymore.  Social media gave everyone a voice and a stage...but it has somehow simultaneously silenced opinions that don't fit with the current, popular social trend.  It's scary. 

I see your point about the social media groupthink backlash.  But let's be very clear, a celebrity saying something controversial has alwyas been big news and always been met with backlash.  many times for things that we today consider mainstream. And let's also get something else clear, Drew Brees was under ZERO THREAT t be blackballed the way Kaepernick was just 3 years ago.

22 minutes ago, The Norseman said:

Why would saying that we should respect our flag and our country and find unity in the fact that we are all Americans illicit "backlash"?  Discourse?  Yes.  Disagreement?  Sure.  But Backlash?  

Comments made today that even infer disagreement with popular social trends illicit a visceral reaction and the creator is usually forced to retract them and apologize.  

Am I the only one who sees a problem wit that?  Maybe I'm just getting old, I dunno.  

I don't really agree with it either and I sthink he should of just stuck with what he said. I don't think Drew is a bad guy or had bad intent but, unfortunately like others have said bad timing.  I don't know why he thought it was necessary to give that opinion now but, he did and he just has to deal with the reaction that he got. He shouldn't of had to apologize 

On 6/7/2020 at 9:21 AM, The Norseman said:

He did exactly what I described: He called the protestors disrespectful and proceeded to tell every black person in America how they should act when they feel their rights are threatened, harkening back to romantic visions of the 1960s without acknowledging how much progress has stalled and regressed in those 50 years. He didn't give any actual gesture of sympathy or understanding about what they're protesting. He was pretty dismissive of the whole movement by basically shoving it aside as "Yeah, we all have problems. Deal with it and stand up at attention." Oh, but he did say "I will never agree" with the protestors.

You know what the whole ridiculous thing is about all this? These people are literally all up in arms about a piece of cloth and not about what that piece of cloth represents. The flag means nothing without the Constitution. The CONSTITUTION is what we should be really caring about. The flag doesn't give us rights or freedom; the Constitution does.

And I don't even know where these fake patriots got this idea that the national anthem was about literally about THE FLAG and nothing else. Actually, it's about  what the flag signifies: THE PEOPLE and THEIR RIGHTS. If you honestly think that we stand for the national anthem to literally honor a piece of cloth, then your conception of patriotism is extremely small-minded. First of all, no one has a monopoly on what the Anthem means. It's a song, and the meaning of a song is personal. The anthem means whatever it means to you as an American, but in general, it has something to do with what the country stands for, and for people with a mature understanding of our national history, it's about much more than the kind of mindless nationalism that demands exalting a piece of cloth as a diety.

Pro-tip: Care less about the THE FLAG and care more about THE RIGHTS IT REPRESENTS. Which, if you're a black person living in America, are a lot of rights that you and your people have never been able to fully enjoy throughout our history. If people like Brees would could attain a level of national consciousness beyond cloth worship, maybe he'd understand this. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure his mind has been warped beyond reality by growing up a rich white boy in the Texas suburbs.

5 hours ago, The Norseman said:

And the consequences for a dissenting opinion are devastating.  So no, you really aren't free to air your thoughts are you?

Either shut up or face the consequences of your words. Kind of how it's always been(not telling you to shut up lol)

1 hour ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

He did exactly what I described: He called the protestors disrespectful and proceeded to tell every black person in America how they should act when they feel their rights our threatened, harkening back to romantic visions of the 1960s without acknowledging how much progress has stalled and regressed in those 50 years. He didn't give any actual gesture of sympathy or understanding about what they're protesting. He was pretty dismissive of the whole movement by basically shoving it aside as "Yeah, we all have problems. Deal with it and stand up at attention." Oh, but he did say "I will never agree" with the protestors.

You know what the whole ridiculous thing is about all this? These people are literally all up in arms about a piece of cloth and not about what that piece of cloth represents. The flag means nothing without the Constitution. The CONSTITUTION is what we should be really caring about. The flag doesn't give us rights or freedom; the Constitution does.

And I don't even know where these fake patriots got this idea that the national anthem was about literally about THE FLAG and nothing else. Actually, it's about  what the flag signifies: THE PEOPLE and THEIR RIGHTS. If you honestly think that we stand for the national anthem to literally honor a piece of cloth, then your conception of patriotism is extremely small-minded. First of all, no one has a monopoly on what the Anthem means. It's a song, and the meaning of a song is personal. The anthem means whatever it means to you as an American, but in general, it has something to do with what the country stands for, and for people with a mature understanding of our national history, it's about much more than the kind of mindless nationalism that demands exalting a piece of cloth as a diety.

Pro-tip: Care less about the THE FLAG and care more about THE RIGHTS IT REPRESENTS. Which, if you're a black person living in America, are a lot of rights that you and your people have never been able to fully enjoy throughout our history. If people like Brees would could attain a level of national consciousness beyond cloth worship, maybe he'd understand this. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure his mind has been warped beyond reality by growing up a rich white boy in the Texas suburbs.

I don't need a civics or a history lesson and I fully understand the difficulty that black people undergo in this country.  I think the men responsible for killing and allowing George Floyd to be killed should all go to jail for murder.  I'm not making a statement about racism on this issue or any other.  I'm simply saying that the man's opinion is just as valid as anyone else's.  He deals with it his way and you deal with it yours.  Here is what Drew Brees actually said:

"I'd never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag...and is everything right with our country right now? No, it's not," "We still have a long way to go. But I think what you do by standing there and showing respect to the flag with your hand over your heart, is it shows unity. It shows that we are all in this together, we can all do better, and that we are all part of the solution."

Technically, its the bill of rights which grant us our rights, including the right to free speech. 

16 minutes ago, The Norseman said:

I don't need a civics or a history lesson and I fully understand the difficulty that black people undergo in this country.  I think the men responsible for killing and allowing George Floyd to be killed should all go to jail for murder.  I'm not making a statement about racism on this issue or any other.  I'm simply saying that the man's opinion is just as valid as anyone else's.  He deals with it his way and you deal with it yours.  Here is what Drew Brees actually said:

"I'd never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag...and is everything right with our country right now? No, it's not," "We still have a long way to go. But I think what you do by standing there and showing respect to the flag with your hand over your heart, is it shows unity. It shows that we are all in this together, we can all do better, and that we are all part of the solution."

Technically, its the bill of rights which grant us our rights, including the right to free speech. 

I think that is the problem with his statement. They have stood there with their hands over their hearts and it has gotten them no where. He is saying respecting the flag shows unity... There is no unity, black people falling in line and just standing there honoring the flag has not and will not solve the problems. That is why they are tired of it

To me he tried to simplify what is going on and is basically saying just do what everyone else is doing and everything will be fine. It's not fine.... 

25 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I think that is the problem with his statement. They have stood there with their hands over their hearts and it has gotten them no where. He is saying respecting the flag shows unity... There is no unity, black people falling in line and just standing there honoring the flag has not and will not solve the problems. That is why they are tired of it

To me he tried to simplify what is going on and is basically saying just do what everyone else is doing and everything will be fine. It's not fine.... 

It's totally fine to disagree with his approach and ideals.  I'm not sure I agree with him either.  I just find it disturbing that a guy's opinion has to be immediately blown off the map by every woke member of the Twitter community and national media.  

And to be fair, none of BLM protests have solved the problem either.  We need a civil discourse in this country we were can address this as a real problem together.  

8 minutes ago, The Norseman said:

I just find it disturbing that a guy's opinion has to be immediately blown off the map by every woke member of the Twitter community and national media.  

I completely agree, no one can let some stuff go. Like I said I don't think Drew meant harm but, now harm has been done to his image and now has to deal with this negativity

Archived