Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. Bums. Who even loses at home???

Captain F

3 hours ago, Dave Moss said:

The best way to win in baseball is to draft good players and bring them up through your system.  The Phillies drafted guys like Pat Burrell, Cole Hamels, Jimmy Rollins, and Chase Utley in the late 90s and early 00s and then used those players to build a contender.

We are years away from some sort of talent surge or core of young players forming. 

The window of opportunity is right now with Harper, Realmuto, and Wheeler.

Free agency and trades is the only way to get more talent now and get into the playoffs.

We hold options on McCutchen and Odubel. We need to drop them and replace them with better talent.

We need to sign 2 OF, a SS, and a 3B. 

We need starting pitching, relievers, and a closer.

On the morning on day one, sign OF Nick Castellanos, OF Starling Marte, Kris Byant 3B, and Marcus Semien 2B/SS.

In the afternoon, sign SP Robbie Ray, SP Corey Kluber, and closer Kenley Jansen.

On day two, we start filling in around that core.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

We are years away from some sort of talent surge or core of young players forming. 

Free agency and trades is the only way to get more talent now and get into the playoffs.

We hold options on McCutchen and Odubel. We need to drop them and replace them with better talent.

On the morning on day one, sign OF Nick Castellanos, OF Starling Marte, Kris Byant 3B, and Marcus Semien 2B/SS.

In the afternoon, sign SP Robbie Ray, SP Corey Kluber, and closer Kenley Jansen.

I mean, I agree, but if they could wouldn't they have signed some more big time free agents already?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

I mean, I agree, but if they could wouldn't they have signed some more big time free agents already.

They have signed some and have had mixed results.

Good production: Realmuto, Wheeler, Segura

Could be better production: Didi and McCutchen, relievers

Dombroski was just starting as GM and we were coming off a terrible season, worst bullpen in the history of MLB (got Klentak fired). Extended Didi last year, probably not the best move.

This off season is extremely important. We need to overhaul the team.

And, what the heck is wrong with our minor leagues?

3 hours ago, CouchKing said:

They have signed some and have had mixed results.

Good production: Realmuto, Wheeler, Segura

Could be better production: Didi and McCutchen, relievers

Dombroski was just starting as GM and we were coming off a terrible season, worst bullpen in the history of MLB (got Klentak fired). Extended Didi last year, probably not the best move.

This off season is extremely important. We need to overhaul the team.

And, what the heck is wrong with our minor leagues?

It was Klentaked

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CouchKing said:

its the only way we need older talent.

21 hours ago, CouchKing said:

They are all in their 30's and top rated free agents. Scherzer is a bit old around 37.

Do you want Didi with a negative WAR playing regular or Semien with a 3.7 WAR?

Marte has a WAR of 4.7. Otherwise we bring back Odubel?

Freeman is better than Hoskins. Doubt he leaves the Braves, but I'd pay him stupid money.

Do we want to compete? Then we need more talent. 

Not enough pitching or hitting on the team. And our defense stinks.

But you left off the real top Free Agents who they should be looking into:  Correa, Seager, Story, Arenado and Bryant.

Listening to Dombrowski now it is obvious they have no intention of going over tax

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Listening to Dombrowski now it is obvious they have no intention of going over tax

Where is he speaking? What gave you that impression?

8 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Where is he speaking? What gave you that impression?

They had a Press conference earlier, you can watch it on the NBC SPORTS Philly YouTube Channel. He was basically making excuses and talking up they players they have. He also said Nola had a good year.

They got $38 million coming off the books between McCutchen, Herrera, Bradley and Neris. 

Hoskins should get a big raise in arbitration or they will sign him to an extension. Suarez is also first year arbitration eligible. 

Wheeler and Nola get a bump in their salary. 

These numbers include McCutchen's $15 million option being picked up, I don't think it will:

Screenshot_20211007-003828_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8de7d1bbaeffcbe6f930bf28ecd31646.jpg

Add $12 million for them buying out Cutch with a $3 million buyout and they should be $97 million under the tax. 

Plenty of flexibility to add at least 2 big FA signings 

10 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

They got $38 million coming off the books between McCutchen, Herrera, Bradley and Neris. 

Hoskins should get a big raise in arbitration or they will sign him to an extension. Suarez is also first year arbitration eligible. 

Wheeler and Nola get a bump in their salary. 

These numbers include McCutchen's $15 million option being picked up, I don't think it will:

Screenshot_20211007-003828_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8de7d1bbaeffcbe6f930bf28ecd31646.jpg

Add $12 million for them buying out Cutch with a $3 million buyout and they should be $97 million under the tax. 

Plenty of flexibility to add at least 2 big FA signings 

Pick up a star LF and 3B and sign a legit closer. 

What to do with Bohm in that case? He has no where to play, unless DH becomes a thing and you stick him at 1st and Hoskins is the DH?

Big move, they fired the PR guy that has been around for 23 years, that will fix everything!!

• Haha 2

With the Collective Bargaining Agreement set to expire Dec 1, there is a chance for a lockout after Dec 1.

This might mean no signing free agents during a lockout. Not sure.

With this uncertainty, I don't think OF Nick Castellanos opts out.

The top free agents have been signing later and later, causing a delay in the overall signing.

The CBA expiring might create an urgency for a free agent to sign, potentially accepting an offer before their market fully developed.

Can Dombroski sign any players before Dec 1?  Hopeful that he signs a least a couple mid level relievers when free agency opens.

Can Dombroski sign a big time free agent or two before Dec 1? Maybe wishful thinking.

Top free agents don't usually get signed before winter meetings. 

17 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

I’d pass on kimbrel. He’s 33 going on 34. He also had a 5.09 ERA after being traded to the white Sox. And his previous two years prior to this past season with the cubs he had ERAs of 6.52 and 5.28. This screams of a contract year he began the season well then reverted back at the end of the year. 

9 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’d pass on kimbrel. He’s 33 going on 34. He also had a 5.09 ERA after being traded to the white Sox. And his previous two years prior to this past season with the cubs he had ERAs of 6.52 and 5.28. This screams of a contract year he began the season well then reverted back at the end of the year. 

I was actually going to make that post before I got sidetracked....

Sounds like a typical Phillies move - overpay for a guy on the downside of his career who will probably get hurt 1 month into his Phillies tenure.  Then, we'll eat part of his contract to buy him out, he'll sign with the Braves and become an All Star on a veteran minimum contract

Case in point:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure the progressives in CVON are squarely on board with this.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10016466-peta-wants-mlb-to-start-calling-the-bullpen-an-arm-barn-over-treatment-of-cows

PETA Wants MLB to Start Calling the 'Bullpen' an 'Arm Barn' over Treatment of Cows

PETA is asking Major League Baseball to change the name of the bullpen, a term used since the 1800s to describe the area where pitchers warm up, to "arm barn."

The nonprofit organization argued in a news release Thursday the longtime baseball term isn't "animal-friendly," per TMZ Sports.

"Strike out the word 'bullpen,' which references the holding area where terrified bulls are kept before slaughter, in favor of a more modern, animal-friendly term," PETA wrote.

Tracy Reiman, the organization's executive vice president, added: "Words matter, and baseball 'bullpens' devalue talented players and mock the misery of sensitive animals."

While it's possible baseball's use of the term bullpen derived from actual bull pens, there are various theories about how the word became associated with pitchers, typically relievers.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Procus said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10016466-peta-wants-mlb-to-start-calling-the-bullpen-an-arm-barn-over-treatment-of-cows

PETA Wants MLB to Start Calling the 'Bullpen' an 'Arm Barn' over Treatment of Cows

PETA is asking Major League Baseball to change the name of the bullpen, a term used since the 1800s to describe the area where pitchers warm up, to "arm barn."

The nonprofit organization argued in a news release Thursday the longtime baseball term isn't "animal-friendly," per TMZ Sports.

"Strike out the word 'bullpen,' which references the holding area where terrified bulls are kept before slaughter, in favor of a more modern, animal-friendly term," PETA wrote.

Tracy Reiman, the organization's executive vice president, added: "Words matter, and baseball 'bullpens' devalue talented players and mock the misery of sensitive animals."

While it's possible baseball's use of the term bullpen derived from actual bull pens, there are various theories about how the word became associated with pitchers, typically relievers.

This is bullsh!t

id change it to lairage pen

7 hours ago, Procus said:

Um…legit no one associated bullpen with cows being killed until these idiots pointed it out. 

FFS, I am a Hindu. Cows are my God. And I still think this is insane. 

• Like 2