Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. Bums. Who even loses at home???

Captain F

40 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

Walker not having a QO helps. He’s actually a solid 3-4 starter. I’m surprised they went in on a 4 year deal for him. They must likely him more cause i was expecting maybe a 1-2 year deal with a 3rd year option. They went four. He’s right in his prime at 30. So must have felt comfortable with the 4 years. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Not as thrilled about this move. He was solid last year and atrocious in 2021 in the games he pitched. He really has been hit or miss depending on the season. Feels like every other year he goes from good to bad to good 

1330E87C-CACB-4698-B8C2-245C55E89136.jpeg

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Not as thrilled about this move. He was solid last year and atrocious in 2021 in the games he pitched. He really has been hit or miss depending on the season. Feels like every other year he goes from good to bad to good 

1330E87C-CACB-4698-B8C2-245C55E89136.jpeg

Believe he was injured in 2021. Only pitched 6 innings or so. TBD for me. Need to learn more about the guy. 

After Walker and Strahm, Phillies probably have enough money for one more impact RP.

3 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Believe he was injured in 2021. Only pitched 6 innings or so. TBD for me. Need to learn more about the guy. 

After Walker and Strahm, Phillies probably have enough money for one more impact RP.

Im always hesitant when a guy has been hit or miss depending on year for much of his career. Even from 2016-2020 it was similar path. Im hoping he’s more like 2020 and 2022. Feels like Dom has a tie to him with the Sox so it makes sense. At least we don’t have to see Brad hand anymore.

i am thinking it’s likely just a flame thrower guy. Not sure it has to be a lefty with Alvarado and Strahm in the fold. I’d actually bring knebel back if it was a super cheap 1 year deal and see what he has. 

Strahm has been a valuable part of Boston’s bullpen in 2022. Even though he missed more than a month after being smoked on the wrist with a comebacker, he’s tied for fourth on the team in appearances at 49. His 3.92 ERA is a tick worse than his 3.71 FIP. And a bad four-outing stretch (Strahm has allowed six earned runs in four innings in four games since Sept. 20) has raised his ERA almost a run. Generally, he has been one of the Sox’ most consistent relievers, especially because both lefties (.229 average, .676 OPS) and righties (.225 average, .664 OPS) have had trouble hitting him. 

He had knee issues in 20 and 21 and had patella tendon surgery.  He is fully healed 

8 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Im always hesitant when a guy has been hit or miss depending on year for much of his career. Even from 2016-2020 it was similar path. Im hoping he’s more like 2020 and 2022. Feels like Dom has a tie to him with the Sox so it makes sense. At least we don’t have to see Brad hand anymore.

i am thinking it’s likely just a flame thrower guy. Not sure it has to be a lefty with Alvarado and Strahm in the fold. I’d actually bring knebel back if it was a super cheap 1 year deal and see what he has. 

That’s another option. Sign two vet RP to smaller deals in the $2m -$4m. Knebel should be dirt cheap.

10 hours ago, Blazehound said:

That’s another option. Sign two vet RP to smaller deals in the $2m -$4m. Knebel should be dirt cheap.

I wouldn’t be so surprised if the Phillies manage to keep themselves right under the luxury taxes. And at the trade deadline go all in on a big trade for a starter and then go into the luxury tax. There’s a potential at the trade deadline that the guardians move Shane Bieber. He has 2023 and 2024 left in his arbitration. If they’re out of it and there’s a chance they move him. 

Padres are in on everyone. Im curious if they were willing to go up to $360 mil cause they were willing to give Turner $342 Mil. 

11 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Walker not having a QO helps. He’s actually a solid 3-4 starter. I’m surprised they went in on a 4 year deal for him. They must likely him more cause i was expecting maybe a 1-2 year deal with a 3rd year option. They went four. He’s right in his prime at 30. So must have felt comfortable with the 4 years. 

18m per seems awfully high for him

1 minute ago, ToastJenkins said:

18m per seems awfully high for him

Taillon just got 4 for 68 from the cubs. It’s really right on par per annual average salary with what the projections said he get this offseason which was 3 years 50-55 mil. the market rate right now is extremely high for starters. Is he worth $18 mil? Probably not  but reality eflin with his numbers being worse and injury prone isn’t worth 13.3 either  

Would have preferred Taillon for essentially the same price and term. While he’s older, Taillon per 9 innings walks less, throws more Ks and gives up fewer homers. Differences are pretty negligible though. 

Japanese outfielder Yoshida to negotiate with MLB teams

SAN DIEGO (AP) — Outfielder Masataka Yoshida will be able to negotiate with Major League Baseball teams starting Wednesday under the posting system with the Japanese big leagues.

A member of Japan’s Olympic team last year, Yoshida will be posted at 8 a.m. EST on Wednesday and MLB teams have until 5 p.m. EST on Jan. 20 to reach an agreement, the commissioner’s office said Tuesday.

The 29-year-old hit .335 with 21 homers and 88 RBIs in 119 games this year for the Orix Buffaloes of Japan’s Pacific League. A left-handed batter, he has a .327 average with 133 homers and 467 RBIs over seven seasons in the Japanese majors.

Yoshida hit .350 with two RBIs as Japan won last year’s Olympic gold medal.

Under 2017 changes to the posting system, the posting fee will be 20% of the first $25 million of a major league contract, including earned bonuses and options. The percentage drops to 17.5% of the next $25 million and 15% of any amount over $50 million. There would be a supplemental fee of 15% of any earned bonuses, salary escalators and exercised options.

https://apnews.com/article/mlb-sports-business-baseball-japan-71af6f40d14de9a249d31ec01de8e280

Mets definitely gonna have the oldest rotation in baseball. Although i actually like that Quintana deal for 2 years. He’s a guy I’d have like to get